The oil grease dirt humidty can cause your touchscreen to malfuction and not respond after a while if you dont have a screen protector.

Its very important to get a sceen protector
    10-11-09 03:52 PM
    Nearly 12 months and no screen protector. Not even a scratch. And no I don't use a case either just put it my pocket

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-09 03:55 PM
    I use one from zagg.com. excellent. stays really clean.

10-11-09 04:05 PM
    As stated in the other thread, screen protectors make no positive difference on the screen functionality. It will help with dirt, but that's about it.
    10-11-09 04:14 PM
    Nearly 12 months and no screen protector. Not even a scratch. And no I don't use a case either just put it my pocket

it all depends on how u use your phone.

do you have a cleaning cloth you use?
    Do you usually have alot of grase on your hands and face..
    My face gets oily alot and my hands sometimes have grease oil on it from my hair grease etc..

like i said everybody situation is diffrent but with me I never cleaned my screen besides a rub on the shirt which doesnt do any good
    10-11-09 04:19 PM
    i used them when i 1st got my storm but i stopped. all it seemed good for was making my phone look tacky when it got old and started to come off, and dont put it on wrong OMG!!! LOL. just get the insurance and keep a spare phone if all goes bad
    10-11-09 04:19 PM
    The vzw rep had his onhis phone 9 months and it looked good
    10-11-09 04:22 PM
    It's a GLASS screen. Dirt/Oil/Grease will not effect it.
    10-11-09 04:25 PM
    IMO screen protectors are a waste, just use common sense
    10-11-09 04:30 PM
    To the op oil and grease will not affect your screen. A screen protector only protects from scratching. Most of us don't have to worry about dirt either. A screen protector will not stop dirt from getting behind the screen through the huge spaces on all four sides.
    Last edited by JNABBOTT; 10-11-09 at 04:36 PM.
    10-11-09 04:34 PM
    Screen protectors reduce the sensitivity of the screen. I have never used one and there are no scratches anywhere. I am the same as moosc no case either, I just sling it in my pocket.

Oh and I am not that oily as I went through puberty years ago.
    10-11-09 04:37 PM
    Whatever you say. I know for sure the dirt ol grease affected my screen
    10-11-09 04:37 PM
    Screen protectors reduce the sensitivity of the screen. I have never used one and there are no scratches anywhere. I am the same as moosc no case either, I just sling it in my pocket.

Oh and I am not that oily as I went through puberty years ago.

Screen protectors reduce the sensitivity of the screen.

No it doesnt. Atleast in IMHO
    10-11-09 04:38 PM
    Yes they do... FACT.

The screen sends a tiny current through your finger to make it work. Protectors reduce it's ability to do this by creating a layer of insulation. Try selecting stuff on the screen using a pen or pencil rather than your finger... doesn't do anything does it... even if you click the screen.

What is this doing in the OS section anyway?
    Last edited by kriptikchicken; 10-11-09 at 04:46 PM.
    10-11-09 04:41 PM
    Kriptikchicken, you might want to double check your info. So long as you are using a cover that's not overly thick, it doesn't impact on the effectiveness on the screen.

I've tried my Storm screen both with and without a screen protector and found absolutely no difference whatsoever. If anything, I found that my responses were better with the screen protector (likely because of different texture to the screen). I'm currently using a Phantom Skinz on my Storm with absolutely no problem.

Oh, and if you want so state "FACT", it might be useful to back up your facts with actual data.
    10-11-09 05:36 PM
    Basic logic dictates that ANY amount of resistance, no matter how thin, will have an impact, no matter how small, on the screen.

*cough* FACT *cough*

You don't need data to back this up, just common sense.
    Last edited by kriptikchicken; 10-11-09 at 05:42 PM.
    10-11-09 05:39 PM
    And this is in the OS section for what reason???
    10-11-09 05:45 PM
    This is in the OS section because the root of the problem (the unresponsive screen in high humidty/temperature) has long been misunderstood as being an OS problem.. but it's not.
    10-11-09 06:18 PM
    Yes they do... FACT.

The screen sends a tiny current through your finger to make it work. Protectors reduce it's ability to do this by creating a layer of insulation. Try selecting stuff on the screen using a pen or pencil rather than your finger... doesn't do anything does it... even if you click the screen.

What is this doing in the OS section anyway?

All im saying is it doesnt reduce it to a point thats even worth of mentioning. Whyare u even mentioning this, who knows. Screen protectors are fine
    10-11-09 06:47 PM
    I use the ones and from Verizon.. I like it so that it keeps things off the screen itself... scratches don't worry me (seen the scratch tests), but sweat, possible food/dirt/anything that could get stuck on the screen worries me.
    10-11-09 08:17 PM
    The only reason I use a protector is because it makes the screen easier to clean in my opinion. Since I work with paint a lot, it makes sense to just pull off the protector instead of scraping around on the screen. As for the functionality, there is no difference at all. At least not noticeable.
    10-11-09 08:30 PM
    I've found it SLIGHTLY easier to slide around on a screen protecters when my hands are sweaty... but other than that, it's just there just incase it gets dirty.
    10-11-09 08:33 PM
    screen protectors get scratched up and ugly looking. Make your phone look lile trash. Ditch the protector and your screen will look better with no scratches. You will save money. You will save time. You will also save the frustration of trying to put those little buggers on perfectly .

10-11-09 08:44 PM
    Basic logic dictates that ANY amount of resistance, no matter how thin, will have an impact, no matter how small, on the screen.

*cough* FACT *cough*

You don't need data to back this up, just common sense.
    Common sense most definitely does not equal fact. And considering the relative lack of common sense by most people now-a-days, common sense is worth a whole lot less.

If you can justify it by using the laws of physics and proving that the type of material used provides enough electrical resistance to prevent conduction between the fingers and the screen, then it might be believable. Now then, given that the points that measure the electrical resistance on the screen are not located on the surface of the screen and are instead either embedded in the screen or are located on the lower surface of the screen and are covered by glass, your argument doesn't really fly anyhow.

What I really hate is when people come on here and claim things as fact and say they know things when all they really mean is "this is my opinion and you should listen because I know better than you, even though I have no proof and nothing to back up my supposedly impressive level of intelligence."
    10-11-09 11:13 PM
    I have used a screen protector since getting my phone ten months ago and I honestly don't think it reduces screen sensitivity noticeably. My last phone was the winmo xv6700 and the screen got all gouged up and looked like crap. I always wished I had used a screen protector and so I always ha e with this phone. I actually forgot it was even there until I saw this thread.

Last edited by AndyR83; 10-12-09 at 12:16 AM.
    10-12-09 12:14 AM
79 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD