I am one of the 11/21 Storm buyers and was wondering if I could upgrade early. From what we hear the Storm 2 is going to launch a month earlier than the Storm 1.

With Verizon you can now upgrade every year if you meet these requirements:

What is the My Verizon Advantage?

You can get a new phone every year with Annual Upgrade. Sign up for a 2-year agreement on a calling plan of at least $49.99 and you can purchase a new phone at its promotional price through My Verizon every year with a 2-year renewal (upgrade fee may apply).

How do I sign up for the My Verizon Advantage?
    Simply register for My Verizon as the Account Owner and you will receive the My Verizon Advantage benefits.

Here is the URL if you don't believe me Answers to FAQs

This is NOT the VIP program. To be in the VIP program you need a voice plan of at least $79.99... That's like the 900 minute plan? Also with the VIP program you get a yearly $50 bonus. Basically they give you a partial New Every 2...

With the My Verizon Advantage you loose all your New Every 2 and restart the 2-year clock. But you can still get all the 2-year contract price promotion for the Storm 2... That's the good news!

I don't know when the My Verizon Advantage was launched but this is basically like the early upgrade flyer I got for the Storm that most people did not get. But now everyone get's in on it!!! SWEET!

I am not sure what this means though "upgrade fee may apply"

Any Verizon guys in the house care to explain? When was the program launched?
    10-10-09 09:47 AM
    So in light of this news who is upgrading early to the Storm 2!
    10-10-09 10:16 AM
    Yeah I probably will, Im glad to hear about this program. I've been wondering for the last couple weeks if there will be a way to not have to pay full price. It looks like there is....So Im in!
    10-10-09 10:22 AM
    I am going to try. My early upgrade is due 3 days before Christmas.
    10-10-09 10:22 AM
    There is a $35? dollar upgrade fee for doing that. You can sometimes get *611 to move that date for you a little earlier as well.

This has been around for a while, but the other schemes to get the upgrade price generally are done by people who don't deserve it. Say, are in 4 or 7 months on their contract, not 12.
    10-10-09 10:23 AM
    I'm hoping the discounted pricing isn't to outrageous! This is from my new every two info. from verizon.

New Every Two:

Eligible to upgrade with discounted pricing on 11/16/09. Eligible for New Every Two discount on 9/16/10. If you prefer, you can upgrade today at full retail price.Your contract end date is 05/23/10
    10-10-09 11:58 AM
    Hey guys, quick question that needs answering if you don't mind. I am on a family plan and am not the 'owner' of the account. My actual phone is not eligible for a upgrade until 01/31/2010.

What I was thinking of doing is using one of my family members discount pricing and just letting them use mine when it comes up since I really want the S2. Could simply using the discount pricing from my other family member (who is eligible currently) than swap the phone numbers work?

Or could i do that verizon yearly thing somehow?
    10-10-09 12:42 PM
    i upgraded with NE2 on my fam share when storm 1 came out last nov. my acct says this:

Eligible for New Every Two discount on 7/24/10. Eligible to upgrade with discounted pricing on 7/24/10. If you prefer, you can upgrade today at full retail price.Your contract end date is 11/24/10

so this theory is not fully true...lol
    10-10-09 01:14 PM
    Whats the difference between being eligible for New every two and being eligible for discounted pricing. im eligible for both on Nov 21st, 2009
    10-10-09 01:17 PM
    i upgraded with NE2 on my fam share when storm 1 came out last nov. my acct says this:

Eligible for New Every Two discount on 7/24/10. Eligible to upgrade with discounted pricing on 7/24/10. If you prefer, you can upgrade today at full retail price.Your contract end date is 11/24/10

so this theory is not fully true...lol
    1 0 c h a r
    10-10-09 01:23 PM
    Fyi early upgrade requires 20 dollar fee unless your VIP

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-09 01:28 PM
    1 0 c h a r
    why are you bolding me saying im on a fam share plan? no where in the FAQ for this program does it say fam share plans don't apply...

i have a plan greater than 49.99
    i'm registered on my verizon
    my date is in 2010....
    10-10-09 01:30 PM
    Whats the difference between being eligible for New every two and being eligible for discounted pricing. im eligible for both on Nov 21st, 2009
    NE2 gives you an extra $50 off the price of the phone.

10-10-09 01:30 PM
    Nothing new about this program. I used it to get my S1 in store.

10-10-09 01:32 PM
    I'm surprised so many aren't aware of this program. This is how I plan on getting my S2.

10-10-09 01:35 PM
    Hey guys, quick question that needs answering if you don't mind. I am on a family plan and am not the 'owner' of the account. My actual phone is not eligible for a upgrade until 01/31/2010.

What I was thinking of doing is using one of my family members discount pricing and just letting them use mine when it comes up since I really want the S2. Could simply using the discount pricing from my other family member (who is eligible currently) than swap the phone numbers work?

Or could i do that verizon yearly thing somehow?
    With Verizon, it my be possible to use another's upgrade - someone on your family plan - but put it on your phone number, IF both of you have the BB voice/data plan. If not, then the official upgrader would have to sign on for the BB plan, whether they use it or not.
    In my experience, as the contract holder, I could upgrade early if I signed what Verizon called a new 2-year contract at that time. I didn't have to change my calling plan.
    10-10-09 01:59 PM
    I've never been charged any early upgrade fee... and I have upgraded early my last 2 phones..
    10-10-09 02:25 PM
    This will be my very first BB ^.^ Will this phone be available day 1 Online? I assume it would. (verizon wireless website)
    Last edited by paymon11; 10-10-09 at 02:38 PM.
    10-10-09 02:35 PM
    ok to clear this up a bit...yes you can use another line's upgrade and no both lines do not have to sign up fo rthe bis only the line that is getting the phone is required to do that. you can only take part in the early upgrade program if you are a primary line on the account. you CAN NOT be a secondary line. also the early upgrade fee is $20 unless u are VIP and then it is waived. you must sign a 2 yr contract and u qualify for th $50 NE2 credit. there are 2 tiers of NE2 an $50 and a $100. you also get a 25% discount on accessories as a vip customer.
    10-10-09 02:40 PM
    There looks like there is a little confusion on upgrading phones with Verizon and contracts. Let me try and explain your options... It really depends on where you are in your contract:

Scenario 1) Your PRIMARY line's 2-year contract is up for renewal. In this scenario you can re-up with a new 2-year contract about 4 months early. You can use your "New Every Two" that every PRIMARY line automatically gets signed up for at the start of your contract. You get the two-year contract promotional pricing for the phone PLUS $100. NOT $50... $100!!! So if the Storm 2 costs $200 you spend $100. This is normally how most people upgrade their phones.

Scenario 2) You have at least a $79.99 voice plan on your PRIMARY line (other things like data do NOT count). You have been a good customer for 6 months paying on time (again with the greater than $79.99 voice plan). At this point you are AUTOMATICALLY enrolled into the VIP Program. Once you are enrolled at the end of your first year you can upgrade your phone with a $50 discount. Not $100 if you would have let the New Every Two contract finish out. This is nice because you are not "throwing any money away" if you consider the New Every two important to utilize. If you do get an annual upgrade you will have to start over again on a new 2-year contract.

Scenario 3) You have a $49.99 or greater voice plan on your PRIMARY line (almost everyone will at least fall into this category). Similar to the VIP program you are automatically enrolled into the "My Verizon Advantage Program". You can upgrade your phone at the end of your first year. No $50 discount like the VIP. You still get the 2-year discount for the phone. So if the Storm 2 comes out at $200 for a new 2-year contract that's what you pay. You also have to pay a $20 early upgrade fee (I just called Verizon to confirm this). This is what they mean by "upgrade fee may apply" in the Verizon FAQ I linked into in my original post. In this case you get the phone discount and have to pay the $20 fee, and your 2-year contract starts over. You don't get any "New Every two" discount, and again the clock starts over.

Scenario 4) You have a secondary line and the two year contact is up. You get the two year contract promotional pricing on the Storm 2. You also get to upgrade about four months early. You get no extra discount like in a VIP or New Every Two discount program. You get your new Storm 2 and a new two year contract.

That's really your only options unless they send you a magical promotional flier that can happen from time to time for the lucky few.

Secondary lines DO NOT EVER get the New Every Two discount, the VIP program, or even the "My Verizon advantage program". Secondary lines really get the short end of the stick here. The goodies usually go to the primary line. Sorry, that's just the way it is. Maybe I am wrong? Anyone care to clarify?

Also note in the "My Verizon Advantage" annual upgrade program you don't get to upgrade any earlier than 12 months. That's 12 months on the nose. Unless you can convince Customer Support to change that for you.

Now let's say your wife's secondary line is up. But your primary line still has six months before you can do an early upgrade. Can you have her get the Storm 2 and steal it from her and have your number applied to the Storm 2? YES....

You could also do some other silly things like adding a new line. Get the promotional pricing, and cancel and pay the ETF charge of $175... But I think if you crunch the numbers you will find that you are not saving any money, and you might as well just pay full retail for the Storm 2. That would be around $500 to $600.... Maybe using the Buy One get One free plan and doing a cancellation plus ebay would work numbers wise... I would not recommend it.

You also could (if it will still be available) use the By One get One Free BlackBerry plan (might not be available on launch day for the Storm 2). So say your secondary line is up you can then get two BlackBerry's for the price of one. The down side here is you will have to have two data plans. That works great if your wife or whoever wants a BlackBerry with a data plan. I am however not in that camp. My wife does not understand the BlackBerry thing!

So there you have it. Am I missing anything Verizon guys?

I wish they were alot clearer. I don't remember hearing anything about the My Verizon Advantage annual upgrade program ever before. I know a poster in this thread said it's not new. But I sure did not find out about it when the Storm 1 was released. I however was a lucky guy who got a magical early upgrade flier.

So the bottom line is come 11/21/09 every single PRIMARY LINE Storm 1 buyer who got their Storm 1 on launch day will be able to upgrade to a Storm 2 at the regular promotional pricing!!! (plus a $20 activation fee).

I can't wait!!!
    10-10-09 02:46 PM
    So Jimmit's you could use the Buy One Get One Free if it was available on launch day for your secondary line? You said we don't have to have two data plans?

So in my case I could have my wife upgrade her two year contract (she is a secondary line). Hand both Storm 2's to me... Sell one on ebay, then buy her a flip phone with the extra cash?

I don't have to have two BIS Blackberry data plans?

If so that's news to me! Hmmm so many ways to get a Storm 2 at the promotional pricing!!!

I am curious why Verizon does not force people using BOGO to have two BIS data plans! I imagine alot of people sell their second BlackBerry on ebay!
    10-10-09 02:51 PM
    There looks like there is a little confusion on upgrading phones with Verizon and contracts. Let me try and explain your options... It really depends on where you are in your contract:

Scenario 1) Your PRIMARY line's 2-year contract is up for renewal. In this scenario you can re-up with a new 2-year contract about 4 months early. You can use your "New Every Two" that every PRIMARY line automatically gets signed up for at the start of your contract. You get the two-year contract promotional pricing for the phone PLUS $100. NOT $50... $100!!! So if the Storm 2 costs $200 you spend $100. This is normally how most people upgrade their phones.

Scenario 2) You have at least a $79.99 voice plan on your PRIMARY line (other things like data do NOT count). You have been a good customer for 6 months paying on time (again with the greater than $79.99 voice plan). At this point you are AUTOMATICALLY enrolled into the VIP Program. Once you are enrolled at the end of your first year you can upgrade your phone with a $50 discount. Not $100 if you would have let the New Every Two contract finish out. This is nice because you are not "throwing any money away" if you consider the New Every two important to utilize. If you do get an annual upgrade you will have to start over again on a new 2-year contract.

Scenario 3) You have a $49.99 or greater voice plan on your PRIMARY line (almost everyone will at least fall into this category). Similar to the VIP program you are automatically enrolled into the "My Verizon Advantage Program". You can upgrade your phone at the end of your first year. No $50 discount like the VIP. You still get the 2-year discount for the phone. So if the Storm 2 comes out at $200 for a new 2-year contract that's what you pay. You also have to pay a $20 early upgrade fee (I just called Verizon to confirm this). This is what they mean by "upgrade fee may apply" in the Verizon FAQ I linked into in my original post. In this case you get the phone discount and have to pay the $20 fee, and your 2-year contract starts over. You don't get any "New Every two" discount, and again the clock starts over.

Scenario 4) You have a secondary line and the two year contact is up. You get the two year contract promotional pricing on the Storm 2. You also get to upgrade about four months early. You get no extra discount like in a VIP or New Every Two discount program. You get your new Storm 2 and a new two year contract.

That's really your only options unless they send you a magical promotional flier that can happen from time to time for the lucky few.

Secondary lines DO NOT EVER get the New Every Two discount, the VIP program, or even the "My Verizon advantage program". Secondary lines really get the short end of the stick here. The goodies usually go to the primary line. Sorry, that's just the way it is. Maybe I am wrong? Anyone care to clarify?

Also note in the "My Verizon Advantage" annual upgrade program you don't get to upgrade any earlier than 12 months. That's 12 months on the nose. Unless you can convince Customer Support to change that for you.

Now let's say your wife's secondary line is up. But your primary line still has six months before you can do an early upgrade. Can you have her get the Storm 2 and steal it from her and have your number applied to the Storm 2? YES....

You could also do some other silly things like adding a new line. Get the promotional pricing, and cancel and pay the ETF charge of $175... But I think if you crunch the numbers you will find that you are not saving any money, and you might as well just pay full retail for the Storm 2. That would be around $500 to $600.... Maybe using the Buy One get One free plan and doing a cancellation plus ebay would work numbers wise... I would not recommend it.

You also could (if it will still be available) use the By One get One Free BlackBerry plan (might not be available on launch day for the Storm 2). So say your secondary line is up you can then get two BlackBerry's for the price of one. The down side here is you will have to have two data plans. That works great if your wife or whoever wants a BlackBerry with a data plan. I am however not in that camp. My wife does not understand the BlackBerry thing!

I wish they were alot clearer. I don't remember hearing anything about the My Verizon Advantage annual upgrade program ever before. I know a poster in this thread said it's not new. But I sure did not find out about it when the Storm 1 was released. I however was a lucky guy who got a magical early upgrade flier.

So the bottom line is come 11/21/09 every single PRIMARY LINE Storm 1 buyer who got their Storm 1 on launch day will be able to upgrade to a Storm 2 at the regular promotional pricing!!! (plus a $20 activation fee).

I can't wait!!!
    This was helpful, thank you!
    One question I have (of course) if you don't mind: currently my voice plan is $39.99; my NE2 isn't until March, so I'm not counting on being able to sweet-talk my way into letting me have that now. If I changed it to the higher $49.99 today, would I be eligible for the early upgrade as described in scenario #3 for when the S2 is released?
    10-10-09 03:20 PM

I can't wait!!!
    i believe you. but my point still stands that i am the primary on a family share plan...and i cannot upgrade until july 2010 (4 months prior to my contract end date in 11/2010)
    10-10-09 03:30 PM
    no one said anything about bogo u moron he said u could use someone elses upgrade as long as u both had the bis and u both dont have to have the bis to do that.
    10-10-09 03:42 PM

!
    WRONG. They do get the NE2. im a secondary and the rep told me when im eligible
    10-10-09 04:46 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD