Great phone, once you get used to the touch screen and typing on a virtual keyboard (it’s my first touch screen). I would definitely recommend you get an invisible shield or some type of screen protector, even though the screen is supposed to be fingerprint resistant they still stick.

I have had the phone for 8 hours now and I have to say I haven’t noticed any of the lag the tech bloggers reported. In fact I sat next to my buddy with an iPhone and well his phone had a bit more lag time than the Hero. I don’t know, maybe I have faster reflexes?

I would definitely recommend going to Android Market and downloading Task Manager 1.10.6, you may think you’re closing out of programs but they keep running in the background. Great little program I give it a 10 out of 10.

Also the tech bloggers reported that you could not save pictures from the web. This simply isn’t true. Tap and hold on the picture you’d like to save until the menu comes up, you have the choice to save the image, send it via MMS or E-mail.

I’ve also been able to transfer a lot of my iTunes music library over to Hero and I have to say the speaker on this thing sounds pretty good for a cell phone, very clear and no distortion.

Overall given the learning curve I would highly recommend the Hero to anyone looking for an Android full touch screen phone.

I'll post a more in-depth review after I've had it for a bit.

Last edited by ERDude; 10-10-09 at 03:18 PM.
    10-10-09 01:57 AM
    On that Task manager 1.10.6 can you close programs individually or does it close all programs?
    10-10-09 10:52 AM
    Thanks for the mini review Erdude, didn't realize you were looking into an Andrioid device. I may need to look into one also to complete the trifecta (Windows Os, Blackberry Os, Androdid Os)
    10-10-09 11:33 AM
    I played with one yesterday at work. I was impressed with the clarity of the display. I didn't really understand the whole flash deal either until I saw it on the hero and now I understand why there is such a fuss to get flash support on blackberries. Quite nice. I kept "fat fingering" the virtual keyboard coz I'm use to a physical one though! Oh, and I love the little green android dude that peeks out from behind the htc logo when you turn the phone on (ok- I'll admit I'm easily amused!).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-09 11:48 AM
    On that Task manager 1.10.6 can you close programs individually or does it close all programs?
    Tap on the individual program until the close menu comes up.
    10-10-09 12:05 PM
    Thanks for the mini review Erdude, didn't realize you were looking into an Andrioid device. I may need to look into one also to complete the trifecta (Windows Os, Blackberry Os, Androdid Os)
    Yeah, I was getting extremely tired of the lack of quality in recent RIM releases. The Tour really let me down.

I'm telling this little phone is a powerhouse, it's the bomb.
    10-10-09 12:14 PM
    how's the MMS? Dude from Droiddog.com said he wasn't able to get it working.

10-10-09 03:58 PM
    Thanks ERDude!!! I was waiting on your review of it. I want to ask you if the contacts setup like on the pro2? For example if you click on an contact you can see the history of txt messages, phone calls, emails, etc.

10-10-09 04:26 PM
    Thanks ERDude!!! I was waiting on your review of it. I want to ask you if the contacts setup like on the pro2? For example if you click on an contact you can see the history of txt messages, phone calls, emails, etc.

Yes everything is there, including facebook and twitter.

Set up was a breeze, I use everything Google just signed in and all my contacts, appoints, everything was there.
    10-10-09 05:19 PM
    how's the MMS? Dude from Droiddog.com said he wasn't able to get it working.

Dude from DroidDog.com is having problems with everything. Everything he is reporting as problematic haven't been for me.

MMS comes through fine, my browser works perfectly, there are some programs in the Android Market that don't work well or at all. I'm sure that's not just the Sprint Hero but across all Android devices.

My buddy who works for Sprint said he's heard from a reliable source that 1.6 will be available on official release if not shortly after. Still a rumor, but he did say the guy who's an upper tech type guy has been right on with the rest of his rumors. Only time will tell.
    10-10-09 05:23 PM
    Cool! I can't wait to get my hands on one.

10-10-09 05:32 PM
    With Sprint coming out with the Any Mobile plan, I've been thinking about switching carriers. And the Hero has been swaying me in that direction even more. I loved my G1, but the size was too much for me so back to BB I went. This might be the device to get me back into Android.
    10-10-09 05:51 PM
    With Sprint coming out with the Any Mobile plan, I've been thinking about switching carriers. And the Hero has been swaying me in that direction even more. I loved my G1, but the size was too much for me so back to BB I went. This might be the device to get me back into Android.
    Any Time Any Mobile is already out, it was a free add on to their Everything Plan.

The Hero is a decent size but not as big as a BB. It's taller than a curve and just a tad bit thiner.

24 hours and change later I've been very happy with my decision to drop the Tour.
    10-10-09 06:20 PM
    Dude from DroidDog.com is having problems with everything. Everything he is reporting as problematic haven't been for me.

MMS comes through fine, my browser works perfectly, there are some programs in the Android Market that don't work well or at all. I'm sure that's not just the Sprint Hero but across all Android devices.

My buddy who works for Sprint said he's heard from a reliable source that 1.6 will be available on official release if not shortly after. Still a rumor, but he did say the guy who's an upper tech type guy has been right on with the rest of his rumors. Only time will tell.
    that was a review unit he had too, right?

10-10-09 06:37 PM
    I got the Sprint hero yesturday, and I must say this tops any device that I had or seen thus far. I'm typing on it right now but o definitely like its predictive text. Definitely helps out touchscreen beginners out like me. I hope to have a YouTube review up later tonight

10-10-09 07:45 PM
    I've also read that you can calibrate the keyboard to your typing style in the settings. Thinking of switching from my Tour but I'll def miss bbm. Idk...

10-11-09 12:51 AM
    Keyboard is getting better to type on as I use the phone more, even the vertical keyboard is becoming ok to type on.
    10-11-09 08:27 AM
    Keyboard is getting better to type on as I use the phone more, even the vertical keyboard is becoming ok to type on.
    Typing on a virtual keypad takes some getting used to if you have been using a physical keyboard for a long time. After about a week of heavy texting and emailing you will be a pro. And don't be surprised if you are able to type faster than you ever have with a physical keyboard. I really like the typing experience. I'm not sure if I will ever go back to a physical keyboard again.
    10-11-09 09:43 AM
    To calibrate the keyboard to your fingers got to

Settings > Locale & Text > Touch Input > Text Input > Calibration Tool

To calibrate the accelerometer

Settings > Sound & Display > G-Sensor Calibration
    10-11-09 01:08 PM
    that was a review unit he had too, right?

Yes, all the reviews were on a demo unit so who knows what programs and how many were loaded on the phone by previous reviewers.
    10-11-09 01:09 PM
    I've also read that you can calibrate the keyboard to your typing style in the settings. Thinking of switching from my Tour but I'll def miss bbm. Idk...

I replaced BBM with Google Talk.
    10-11-09 01:09 PM
    I was going to get the Tour since all my associated have BB. Now i am thinking twice if i should get the hero.
    10-11-09 01:31 PM
    I was having a lot of termoil about the hero but it looks like it has gotten a lot better with the adjustments that I've made.

10-11-09 02:16 PM
    I replaced BBM with Google Talk.
    I was thinking the same. Good idea...
    10-11-09 03:18 PM
    I was able to check out the Hero at the store today. I was able to play around with it for a good half hour. I had read many reviews and was very excited about the device. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. It wasn't as impressive as I thought it would be. Next to an iphone, BB, or even Pre it seems second rate. Just my opinion.

10-11-09 09:15 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD