Hey Guys,

I am an installer at Best Buy and we just got this cool new alarm from Directed Electronics, the makers of the viper alarm. Well they just released an app for the I-phone to start arm disarm lock unlock your car from virtually anywhere, you can be in new york and car in LA and you can control and monitor it, any ways all of us need to send directed messages telling them to get on the ball for the Blackberry community.

I have pics but cant post
    10-09-09 10:09 AM
    That sounds like it would be pretty cool as long as there wasn't a monthly fee.
    10-09-09 10:19 AM
    This is a really great idea.
    10-09-09 02:55 PM
    I'm trying to find more information on it, but can't find anything. Do you have any links?
    10-09-09 03:10 PM
    i cant seem to find any information on this app either?? nothing comes up in the app store either.. i got an ipod touch and storm so i want to know more about this app!
    10-09-09 03:21 PM
    Would be cool to have but not for the price. The Iphone one i think was $499... and on top of that a $29 monthly fee
    10-14-09 08:59 AM
    Would be cool to have but not for the price. The Iphone one i think was $499... and on top of that a $29 monthly fee
    Might as well lease a Mercedes for that money.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-09 10:35 AM
    Might as well lease a Mercedes for that money.

I wish we all could lease a Mercedes for $499 down and $29/month. How awesome would that be? I might even trade in my "Toaster".
    10-14-09 10:43 AM
    It will never happen on a blackberry, they suck to bad.
    10-14-09 01:18 PM
    Sounds possible.
    10-14-09 01:36 PM
    Very possible, but no probable due to the limitations RIM has.

Sounds possible.
    10-14-09 02:09 PM
    its actually 29 per year not per month
    10-14-09 02:32 PM
    I can definitley live with $29 a year. Viper, bring on the APP!
    10-14-09 05:56 PM
    Why would you want to unlock your car from further away than a key fob works? So people can steal stuff out of it? And isn't the arm/disarm also tied into the key fob?
    10-14-09 06:18 PM
    I'm not too familiar with the system but I'm assuming it includes remote monitoring which would be great. I currently have the Viper alarm which has a 2-way pager and supposedly works from a mile away but buildings absolutely kill the signal. Imagine being able to tell which sensor is being tripped from almost anywhere. Definitely not necessary for most cars, but my car (s2000) is notorious for having seats stolen, so I would love to have this.

Why would you want to unlock your car from further away than a key fob works? So people can steal stuff out of it? And isn't the arm/disarm also tied into the key fob?
    10-14-09 06:32 PM
    10-14-09 10:17 PM
    Yea I need this one. Would love it.

10-15-09 08:36 AM
    Well it's a very impressive video, but their Their FAQ fails to answer it's own question.

Will SmartStart be available for phones other than the iPhone?

Currently SmartStart is available only for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Viper SmartStart is designed to be installed and used with authorized Apple iPhones with AT&T service, or authorized iPod Touch devices. Any unauthorized modification to the iPhone or iPod Touch software or hardware may interfere with proper installation or operation of the Viper SmartStart application.
    FAIL.

Edit:

I just sent them an email, and here's what it says:

Hi, I see under your FAQ you addressed the question of whether or not it will be available for other phones, but completely failed to answer the question. I've been looking at AutoPage systems, but would without a doubt get a viper system if it were out for the BlackBerry Storm. Do you all have plans to have it available in the next few months? Please be as specific as possible because I will be posting your reply on Crackberry.com because there is a lot of interest in this product.

Sincerely, BlackBerry Storm.
    Last edited by Sandlotje; 10-15-09 at 10:48 AM.
    10-15-09 10:38 AM
    Good post. I sent them an email requesting this for the Blackberry Storm and other Blackberry phones.

10-15-09 11:19 AM
    Here's their reply:

Hello John,

The Blackberry is next on the list. Also in the works are the Android and Pre.

Our core product is remote start which means we get extremely busy during the winter months. You probably won't see the Blackberry version until our "busy season" ends in late January/early February. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rob Potts
    Technical Service Representative Level 2
    Directed Electronics, Inc.
    1 Viper Way
    Vista, CA 92081
    [email protected]
    10-16-09 09:44 AM
    Here's their reply:
    Well thats all the information I needed for this device. I can't wait until its available so that I can upgrade my alarm system.
    10-17-09 09:52 AM
    I didn't watch the demo video but if I'm not mistaken from what I've heard you can also remote start your car. I would love to be able to do this as it would be nice to have a warm car waiting for me after work in the winter (gotta love MinneSNOWta)! Current remote start systems won't work for the distance I park from work.

10-24-09 08:56 PM
    I have a Viper alarm already. Dang, looks like once I eventually trade the car in I'll have to get this. Hopefully by then they have a blackberry app.
    10-25-09 07:35 AM
    This has been possible via a laptop for 5 years now. You can access these function via your BB Browser.
    10-25-09 08:07 AM
    This has been possible via a laptop for 5 years now. You can access these function via your BB Browser.
    Can you shed some light on this....how?
    10-25-09 03:16 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD