Unreal. After bricking my phone, Verizon now says that it does not support the new BBM version 5.0.

How can this possibly be? RIM releases software without Verizon, its largest vendor's support?
    Last edited by Cmh1085; 10-08-09 at 09:11 AM.
    10-08-09 08:54 AM
    I am getting really tired of both of these companies......I mean really WTF? Every little thing is a problem.....if RIM and VZW were in charge of all technology we would be using rotary cell phones. On the other hand are you sure the CS rep realizes you were talking about BBM 5.0 and not OS 5.0?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-09 08:59 AM
    Might want to edit your title of the post if you can... doesn't match with your message.

Apparently T-mobile reps are being told to advise NOT upgrading the BBM as well. Looks like this was a frak-up.
    10-08-09 09:06 AM
    I downloaded it last night on my Tour....what do you mean they aren't supporting it?
    10-08-09 09:10 AM
    She didn't mean the OS. I asked her.
    10-08-09 09:13 AM
    i just installed BBM 5.0 and ive got no problems with it, im on verizon btw
    10-08-09 09:16 AM
    Unreal. After bricking my phone, Verizon now says that it does not support the new BBM version 5.0.

How can this possibly be? RIM releases software without Verizon, its largest vendor's support?
    uhhh.. i have bbm 5.0.0.33 (the newest one) and im on the vzw network.. and the latest vzw approved OS (4.7.140).. i downloaded it last night after reading some posts and its working just great.

what are you talking about?
    Last edited by franvil; 10-08-09 at 09:21 AM.
    10-08-09 09:17 AM
    i downloaded it last night also.
    i'm with verzion and have the curve. it took me FIVE times of trying to download it and five times of rebooting my phone because it kepy freezing.

My buddy witha tour bricked his berry trying to download the new bbm too.
    Last edited by thinkamp; 10-08-09 at 09:22 AM.
    10-08-09 09:19 AM
    I DL BBM 5.0 (off App World) with the original OS 4.7.1.40 and it works AWESOME! BTW, have the Tour.
    Last edited by skibs24; 10-08-09 at 09:21 AM. Reason: add device
    10-08-09 09:20 AM
    uhhh.. i have bbm 5.0.0.33 (the newest one) and im on the vzw network.. and the latest vzw approved OS (4.7.140).. i downloaded it last night after reading some posts and its working just great.

I think he is talking about his phone not playing nice with the new bbm. What phone u using? Sometimes the software doesn't work well at first....also vzw does not support most if any apps in app world.

10-08-09 09:27 AM

Yes, just because you're not having problems, then that must mean no one else is either, right?

From what I've seen on these forums, about half of the people that install the new BBM get their phones bricked. That's a pretty big percentage, and I understand why Verizon is saying they don't support it.
    10-08-09 09:34 AM
    If the OP is using a storm then it makes sense. Even though I updated a storm and a tour with no probs.

10-08-09 09:41 AM
    If the OP is using a storm then it makes sense. Even though I updated a storm and a tour with no probs.

What makes you think he's using a Storm? In his device list he says he has a Tour.
    10-08-09 10:11 AM
    Works great on my Storm, no problems. Downloaded from BB App World last night. During download, got an error, clicked to continue and it did just fine. Install was fast, although I have read in other post that people were saying install took up to tem minutes. Also a side note from another forum, if you are accessing BBM through Quick Launch (not sure why you would but,) it will not work, it freezes up and you'll have to do a pull.
    10-08-09 10:14 AM
    What makes you think he's using a Storm? In his device list he says he has a Tour.
    When i wrote that i was on the mobile site and could not see what types of phones were being used..thats why i said "if". I would expect the problem from a storm since they are a little more glitchy, but now i see its a tour and its dissapointing.
    10-08-09 10:16 AM
    Would have been nice for RIM to have waited until after the carriers were ready to support BBM to release the software. It would have prevented a lot of people from bricking their phones.

Apple's model of control over their software is looking mighty fine right now by comparison.
    10-08-09 10:32 AM
    Verizon doesn't support anything. In many cases they won't even software that came on the phone. They usually only support what they offer on their site.

When they originally unlocked the GPS to work with BBMaps I called several times trying to get mine working (for some reason it wouldn't until I updated to a different vendors 4.5, go figure) and get some support. I was repeatedly told that BBMaps is third party software and Verizon does not support it. Even after I explained that it was a program that was loaded on the phone by default they still refused to offer any help at all. It was later explained (by a tech) that Verizon will support the OS (to an extent) and their software, but even the software that they push to the phone like Slacker or Facebook are not supported by them.
    10-08-09 10:41 AM
    Not to be a stick in the spoke here, but BBM 5.0 is RIM software. The only thing that VZW will cover is the op system since they approve it for the phone.

BBM is like an addon. That would be like saying that berrybuzz didnt work so you blame it on Verizon for not supporting it.

You need to contact RIM or listen to some of these people here. I dont know why VZW would support it...unless of course it was part of the op system.
    10-08-09 11:09 AM
    Would have been nice for RIM to have waited until after the carriers were ready to support BBM to release the software. It would have prevented a lot of people from bricking their phones.

Apple's model of control over their software is looking mighty fine right now by comparison.
    Yep I think RIM didn't handle this release correctly. Either Blackberry App World or the install process should have checked to see if you have the correct OS running on your Blackberry before installing it. They say it will work with OS version 4.5 and higher but it looks like it's similar to the leaked BBM 5 that required at least OS 4.5.0.131. So those are running any OS version between 4.5.0.0 and 4.5.0.130 will probably have issues.
    10-08-09 11:52 AM
    I have a Tour. It was bricked by downloading BBM 5.0 last night. I am (was) running OS 4.7.1.4, the latest OS officially supported by Verizon.

After many calls, I finally convinced Verizon to let me speak to RIM directly in an attempt to salvage my Device.

Although RIM tried valiantly, they could not save all my device's apps and settings. I couldn't begin to describe the ways they tried but we used both DM and Apploader several times in different ways.

After two hours, we decided everything was lost and decided to re-install OS 4.7.1.4 and start from scratch. Surprisingly, most, not all, third party Apps survived.

So, after one hour last night and three this morning, I am pretty much back where I started, including the old version of BBM. I'll wait until they clean it up before trying to install it.
    10-08-09 01:05 PM
    Verizon doesn't have to support it. It was released on App World, along with thousand other apps, it would be the same as supporting calorie counter. It doesn't use the VZW name and wasn't pushed out so verizon doesnt have to support it, unless they wanted to.

Might have to talk to RIM about it, same as calling verizon, just don't say your using a leaked OS.
    10-08-09 02:52 PM
    I have a Tour. It was bricked by downloading BBM 5.0 last night. I am (was) running OS 4.7.1.4, the latest OS officially supported by Verizon.

After many calls, I finally convinced Verizon to let me speak to RIM directly in an attempt to salvage my Device.

Although RIM tried valiantly, they could not save all my device's apps and settings. I couldn't begin to describe the ways they tried but we used both DM and Apploader several times in different ways.

After two hours, we decided everything was lost and decided to re-install OS 4.7.1.4 and start from scratch. Surprisingly, most, not all, third party Apps survived.

So, after one hour last night and three this morning, I am pretty much back where I started, including the old version of BBM. I'll wait until they clean it up before trying to install it.
    That stinks. I'm really surprised that it hosed your Tour like that. I was running the leaked BBM 5 on my Verizon Tour and then I installed 5.0.0.33 over it. I thought I was in trouble too because I had the white screen with some writing on it but I simply rebooted and it was fine.
    10-08-09 03:26 PM

If anything, I want RIM to depend less on carrier support... Apple doesn't require each carrier to approve an OS update like RIM does.
    10-08-09 03:35 PM
    Downloaded New BBM on my VZW curve this morning and its working just great,Awesome love it. Also got some coworkers to download it too, NP also.
    10-08-09 03:47 PM
    I have a vzw storm. never did an unoffical OS. im running .148 official. Did DL the leaked bbm 5.0 a few montsh back. Downloaded official bbm yesterday and smooth sailing.
    10-08-09 03:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD