I just went to the moblie.blackberry.com home page and noticed a link for Download Blackberry Maps in the what's new section. On a whim I clicked it and after agreeing to the terms, etc it downloaded a 10k file called lbs_ribbon.

I now have an icon that launches BB Maps on my AT&T Bold. A quick search here on the forum shows another AT&T user found the same thing on his 8900. Check it out!
    10-07-09 04:51 PM
    I installed BB Maps on my AT&T Curve when I first got it about 1 1/2 years ago. I haven't put it on my Bold because I like Google Maps better.
    10-07-09 04:55 PM
    I've owned my Bold (first BB) and been with AT&T for about 5 months. Reading these forums I learned that AT&T had "suppressed" access to BB Maps. Certain applications like WeatherBug needed BB Maps for certain functions to work, but you couldn't access it directly.

I've used and like Google Maps. Today is the first day I can actually compare the 2.

Were you able to use BBMaps on your AT&T curve?
    Last edited by uforgot1; 10-07-09 at 05:01 PM. Reason: poor spelling
    10-07-09 04:59 PM
    I am almost positive that it worked on the AT&T Curve. I didn't keep it long because I like google better but I am positive that it worked. The first time I updated the Curve's OS it gave me the option to install BB Maps. Same with the Bold, I just never installed it. AT&T didn't suppress access to BB Maps. They just didn't install it as they want people to use their paid map service.
    10-07-09 05:04 PM
    AT&T didn't suppress access to BB Maps. They just didn't install it as they want people to use their paid map service.

Huh? My BB Bold form ATT came with BB installed and worked for a few months. Then BAM, ATT took it away.
    10-07-09 05:06 PM
    Huh? My BB Bold form ATT came with BB installed and worked for a few months. Then BAM, ATT took it away.
    Did you try reinstalling the OS?

You could be right. I updated my OS almost immediately after getting the Bold and I never selected to have BB Maps installed so I can't say if it works on the Bold or not. I assumed it would since I had it for a short time on my Curve and then got rid of it in faver of google.
    10-07-09 05:10 PM
    Did you try reinstalling the OS?

You could be right. I updated my OS almost immediately after getting the Bold and I never selected to have BB Maps installed so I can't say if it works on the Bold or not. I assumed it would since I had it for a short time on my Curve and then got rid of it in faver of google.
    Many, many times.
    10-07-09 05:12 PM
    Yup, just installed it. I wonder if we can delete the old BB maps ans this one still will work? I will try tonight.

the new one on only .9mb compared to the old one which is 4.6mb
    10-07-09 05:13 PM
    The next time I change my OS I'll install it and see what happens. Looks like you can download it from BB now and it works.
    10-07-09 05:14 PM
    Anyone have the OTA link for Blackberry Maps? TIA
    10-07-09 05:27 PM
    I am almost positive that it worked on the AT&T Curve. I didn't keep it long because I like google better but I am positive that it worked. The first time I updated the Curve's OS it gave me the option to install BB Maps. Same with the Bold, I just never installed it. AT&T didn't suppress access to BB Maps. They just didn't install it as they want people to use their paid map service.
    They did suppress blackberry maps. They disabled the service book for bbmaps so the icon wouldn't show up whether you had it installed or not.
    10-07-09 06:01 PM
    But you could always get around the AT&T boobs by installing a third-party app that called on BB maps behind the scenes. I used Car Finder for just that purpose - I think it called on BB maps at a resource level.
    10-07-09 06:17 PM
    Anyone have the OTA link for Blackberry Maps? TIA
    go to bb mobile on your phone. its there.
    10-07-09 06:20 PM
    But you could always get around the AT&T boobs by installing a third-party app that called on BB maps behind the scenes. I used Car Finder for just that purpose - I think it called on BB maps at a resource level.
    Yep, I think it was also possible to launch it by using the "send location" in bbmsgr
    10-07-09 06:30 PM
    I installed BB Maps on my AT&T Curve when I first got it about 1 1/2 years ago. I haven't put it on my Bold because I like Google Maps better.
    Same here. I used bb maps once and was like, 'whats the point of this'. Google maps has sooo many more features. When its time to get a new os, I might even take the bb maps off my bold...
    10-07-09 06:56 PM
    Downloaded the lbs_ribbon from the mobile BB site and the maps work like before.
    10-07-09 07:00 PM
    May I have the shortcut? I just went to the bb website on my bold and didn't see it listed in the what's new section.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-09 07:09 PM
    went to BlackBerry - PDA GPS - BlackBerry Maps at BlackBerry.com to try and download because the "mobile" site wasnt working for my phone.... think its my OS.... can anyone copy the link before downloading the file?

10-07-09 07:15 PM
    Yep, I think it was also possible to launch it by using the "send location" in bbmsgr
    never worked for me
    10-07-09 07:19 PM
    where can I get google maps?
    10-07-09 07:48 PM
    That's easy. Just google maps. And it will take you to the mobile download site.

10-07-09 08:02 PM
    where can I get google maps?
    ironically... google it...
    10-07-09 08:04 PM
    I was getting the same message from the post above. It just isn't working for a few of us. I'm on an ulocked rogers. On at&t.

10-07-09 08:05 PM
    Same error message here... I think it doesn't like OS5.0
    10-07-09 08:12 PM
    Shows that it downloaded but still no bbmaps, any ideas?

10-07-09 08:19 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD