My parents and I have been with Verizon since early 2004, never missed a payment, etc.

I currently have one of those ancient green EnVs, and it keeps crapping out on me...I'm not eligible for NE2 until December, but this phone is just being too ridiculous. Replacement EnVs haven't helped either...

What are my relative chances of getting an early upgrade to a Tour or something of the like, considering my length of service, etc?

Thanks.
    10-06-09 03:13 PM
    My parents and I have been with Verizon since early 2004, never missed a payment, etc.

I currently have one of those ancient green EnVs, and it keeps crapping out on me...I'm not eligible for NE2 until December, but this phone is just being too ridiculous. Replacement EnVs haven't helped either...

What are my relative chances of getting an early upgrade to a Tour or something of the like, considering my length of service, etc?

Thanks.
    pretty darn good I say...my husband is on our secondary line (family plan) and I called VZW just today to ask if he can upgrade early...he wasn't schedule to upgrade until march 2010...all I did was ask nicely and told them he was having trouble with his Dare...the rep was really nice and my husband is now able to upgrade his phone as of today...hope that helps...oh, I also did this last year as well with my phone...I got my NE2 about 10 mos earlier than when I was supposed to...just call and see what happens and if one rep denies you, call back again and speak to another one...
    10-06-09 03:21 PM
    Brilliant, thanks!

Oh, one more question: when you called, does the rep order the phone for you and have it shipped to you, or do you have the option to go to the store and do it yourself?
    10-06-09 03:28 PM
    You have a good chance of getting it as long as the reason is valid. And if the rep makes the exception you would have to have it shipped as most stores will not honor an early upgrade of that type. If a rep makes it so you can get what you want at least give them the credit for the upgrade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-09 09:01 PM
    I wasn't due for an upgrade until March 2010, however exactly 1 mont ago I went to my local VZW store and upgraded me and my wife to Tours. I could not get the BOGO offer that was going on at the time as the early upgrade was my promotion, but whatever I still got Tours. And might I ad we both love them

10-06-09 09:14 PM

Thanks.
    Sorry about your enV... I loved mine... still have it as a back up. And I don't know how hard you could push for early upgrade... I got an upgrade a week before NE2 time, but that's because I had talked extensively with one particular rep, and then explained I would be out of town for the upgrade, and a little while after, so I wanted to get upgraded before then. She talked to her manager and got me a week early.
    10-06-09 09:21 PM
    Brilliant, thanks!

Oh, one more question: when you called, does the rep order the phone for you and have it shipped to you, or do you have the option to go to the store and do it yourself?
    yeah, the rep can order it for you...my rep was going to order whatever I wanted but I'm going to wait until the Android phones come out...he did say to call back whenever I was ready or I can go into the store to purchase the phone. He said that he marked my account for an early upgrade...so, there you go, good luck!
    10-07-09 12:15 PM
    I was going to do the same thing, was less than one month away from eligibility...I called customer service and got a flat NO. So I threatened to cancel both of my lines and was offered the one year price of $150 for a curve 8330...I said no thanks, and I switched to sprint where I got TWO Curve 8330's FREE...couldn't be happier with my decision.

10-07-09 12:32 PM
    Some reps will do that for you because of your tenure with the company, I see it more and more every day with "manually changed" upgrade dates and I do them and then realize they were not payable at all...soo it hurts my pocket I dont like them lol.
    10-07-09 01:17 PM
    I don't give any early upgrades. You signed a contract, in return we ate a sizable chunk of the cost of your phone, as far as I'm concerned you can wait.

10-07-09 03:19 PM
    I don't give any early upgrades. You signed a contract, in return we ate a sizable chunk of the cost of your phone, as far as I'm concerned you can wait.

We must have vastly differing ideas on what sizable means, because for me, swallowing a couple hundred bucks isn't all that sizable
    10-07-09 06:04 PM
    Consider that recent Berries have had a full retail of arounf 499ish and you're getting it for 149.00 that's more than a couple hundred. And that's just the tour. We actually eat more on the curve pearl and storm. Now multiply that by the millions of Blackberries we've sold.

10-07-09 06:19 PM
    Consider that recent Berries have had a full retail of arounf 499ish and you're getting it for 149.00 that's more than a couple hundred. And that's just the tour. We actually eat more on the curve pearl and storm. Now multiply that by the millions of Blackberries we've sold.

Boo freakin' hoo....are we really supposed to believe that Verizon is hurting bad enough that they can't discount their phones like everyone else does? I had been with them for just over 8 years and they wouldn't allow me to upgrade one month early...screw em.
    10-07-09 07:32 PM
    I think reps are more likely to do it IF you are going from a feature (dumb) phone to a smart phone and it's required 30 per month data plan.
    10-07-09 09:25 PM
    they can't discount their phones like everyone else does?
    Name one other carrier that does, as a matter of course.

If you name one, I will call you a liar, because that is exactly what you would be.

None of the other three of the major carriers comes close to the phone prices VZW offers. You can start by comparing the prices on the latest "all carrier" phone - the Touch Pro2. Then, while you're at it, take a look at the Pearl Flip & maybe even the Curve. Or, you can even go check out the price of a Tour at Sprint.

I will add this much, though. Got a telesales letter on Monday. Tour for $29.99 or any other BlackBerry for free - all on BOGO.

I don't do contracts or subsidized phones - and I certainly won't cross the street for a CrapBerry anymore - have too many as it is - so I round-filed it. Well, that isn't quite true. I ran it through the shredder.

I did sell a mess of Curves & Storms on eBay, though. Needed to take out the trash.

10-07-09 09:32 PM

Name one other carrier that does, as a matter of course.

If you name one, I will call you a liar, because that is exactly what you would be.

None of the other three of the major carriers comes close to the phone prices VZW offers. You can start by comparing the prices on the latest "all carrier" phone - the Touch Pro2. Then, while you're at it, take a look at the Pearl Flip & maybe even the Curve. Or, you can even go check out the price of a Tour at Sprint.

I will add this much, though. Got a telesales letter on Monday. Tour for $29.99 or any other BlackBerry for free - all on BOGO.

I don't do contracts or subsidized phones - and I certainly won't cross the street for a CrapBerry anymore - have too many as it is - so I round-filed it. Well, that isn't quite true. I ran it through the shredder.

I did sell a mess of Curves & Storms on eBay, though. Needed to take out the trash.

discounting phones meaning that they are discounted off of full retail price as stated above...it was implied that Verizon makes little to no money on phone sales, that's all..no need to get pissy.
    10-07-09 09:39 PM

Thanks.
    Call 611 and explain the problem. I have never been denied an early upgrade, may take some work but they will give them out.

Brilliant, thanks!

I have always been told that CSR has to order it and send it to you. I have always asked for free next day shipping if they don't offer it and have it the next day.

I was going to do the same thing, was less than one month away from eligibility...I called customer service and got a flat NO.
    That has happen to me in the past, I just wait an hour or so and call back and get the upgrade.
    10-08-09 09:25 AM
    Thanks, ok4a56. I'll try that!
    10-08-09 10:23 AM
    discounting phones meaning that they are discounted off of full retail price as stated above...it was implied that Verizon makes little to no money on phone sales, that's all..no need to get pissy.
    Verizon (and any other carrier) loses money on phones. Learn the way cell phone carriers operate and then come back here to debate business practices.

10-08-09 10:57 AM

Some people just don't know how to say no.

10-08-09 10:59 AM
    Verizon (and any other carrier) loses money on phones. Learn the way cell phone carriers operate and then come back here to debate business practices.

my point is this:

If they lose SO much money on these phones, then how are they still in business?? Monthly services, contracts, etc....of course that's where the money is. So, the way I see it, they can afford to lose some money on a phone in order to KEEP a customer...apparently they're not hurting too bad, those stupid commercials keep showing up on TV.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-10-09 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Flaming
    10-08-09 06:15 PM
    OK, my point is this:

If they lose SO much money on these phones, then how are they still in business?? Monthly services, contracts, etc....of course that's where the money is. So, the way I see it, they can afford to lose some money on a phone in order to KEEP a customer...apparently they're not hurting too bad, those stupid commercials keep showing up on TV.
    They eventually recoup the money over the length of your contract. If they give you a new phone every six months, it won't get recouped. And please drop the name calling, we're all adults here.

Last edited by chrisy520; 10-10-09 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Edit quote for language/flaming
    10-08-09 06:27 PM
    They eventually recoup the money over the length of your contract. If they give you a new phone every six months, it won't get recouped. And please drop the name calling, we're all adults here.

No one said every 6 months...I was talking about 1 year and 11 months, ONE month away from upgrade. Trust me, they had recouped plenty of money from me...

And I react to how I'm spoken to...when someone gets an attitude with me for no reason, it pisses me off...
    10-08-09 06:32 PM
    One month from 2 years you should be eligible for NE2

10-08-09 06:46 PM
    One month from 2 years you should be eligible for NE2

Exactly, but like I said before...I switched over to Sprint and could not be happier. Same phone (actually TWO for free like I mentioned), much cheaper monthly rate than VZW, and still good signal where I go. WIN WIN WIN for me
    10-08-09 06:50 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD