If you have claimed a phone within the last 12 months, BE CAREFUL!!!

I have used Asurion for years here with Verizon, and with Nextel. This policy is new to me, and I just wanted you guys to know about it so you don't end up like me.

If you claim 2 phones within 12 months, you are kicked off your insurance, and "blackbooked" for a year.

What this means is once you claim your second time, Asurion will approve you the replacement but will then drop you from the program, and you will be ineligible for insurance for 12 months.

I claimed a lost phone back in April, and had to claim another one yesterday. Asurion shipped me the phone, but told me that I was being dropped from insurance, and could not get insurance again until September of 2010. I did some complaining, I mean its not like I am a repeat offender, I just had some bad luck. Like I said before I had used them with Nextel for years and Ive never heard of this, and never had a problem. I eventually talked to a supervisor who explained that Asurion is giving a Maximum benefit limit by your service provider (in this case Verizon Wireless) as to how many phones they can replace. With my provider, that limit is 2.

I can understand that some people can take advantage of their insurance, but I think 2 is extremely rediculious! Basically if you lose 1 phone or it is stolen, YOU BETTER HOPE THAT WITHIN 12 MONTHS NOTHING HAPPENS OR YOU WILL LOSE YOUR INSURANCE! The only thing we can do as customers is band together (if you agree this policy is unfair) and file complaints with Asurion AND Verizon Wireless (Since according to Asurion, Verizon Wireless are the ones who set the limit). Some of you may already know this, but I'm sure some of you don't. Either way, I have done my part and complained both in writing, and on the phone to BOTH companies. Its now up to you. I just wanted to make sure you were informed with this policy. Good Luck!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Exceptions~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    EXCEPTIONS TO LIMIT

Your insurance will start over if you do one of these 3 things

Purchase another phone
    Upgrade your phone with the New Every 2 program
    Extend your contract

Oh and BTW If you are shipped a BRAND NEW PHONE in retail packaging you will have a 1yr Warranty. However if you are shipped a refurbished phone, you will receive only a 6mo warranty

Seems backwards to me, its almost like they know that the damaged phones they "fix" won't last the full year!
    Last edited by xesvuli420; 10-04-09 at 09:37 PM. Reason: asdfasdf
    10-04-09 08:30 PM
    That's sucks.... But then one has to wonder how many times a company gets burned until they wise up and screw all customers including the truthful and unlucky ones

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-09 08:35 PM
    Yeah it sucks. I'm sure it's because if you did more than 2 claims in a year they'd be losing money... god forbid. lol
    10-04-09 09:06 PM
    This has been Asurion policy for 4+ years.

Refurb phones still have a 1 year warranty btw. Just talked to them the other day.

10-04-09 09:06 PM
    how do you know if you are going to get a new one or a refurbished one. my screen is not working anymore is that still under warranty or do i have to go through insurance.
    10-04-09 09:09 PM
    This has been Asurion policy for 4+ years.

Refurb phones still have a 1 year warranty btw. Just talked to them the other day.

No, and No

Like I said before the limit is Provider based. It may have been Asurion and Verizons policy for 4 years, but it is not Asurions global policy.

And No refurbs do NOT come with a year. I just talked to a supervisor today that explained to me the warranties of a brand new phone VS a refurb. I didn't come her to MAKE UP a story. I found all this out TODAY.
    10-04-09 09:10 PM
    how do you know if you are going to get a new one or a refurbished one. my screen is not working anymore is that still under warranty or do i have to go through insurance.
    What happened to yours screen?
    10-04-09 09:12 PM
    i have a dead spot i guess u can call it. when i am texting it wont let me select the letters w,s,x which is a straight line on the keyboard
    10-04-09 09:14 PM
    If you tell Asurion the sky is blue they will tell you it's black....

Company is a joke if you ask me.... Had bad things happen with them. But my corporate Verizon store took care of the issues for me....

Just my .02
    10-04-09 09:15 PM
    i have a dead spot i guess u can call it. when i am texting it wont let me select the letters w,s,x which is a straight line on the keyboard
    ok. I was asking because mine just went crazy today!
    10-04-09 09:17 PM
    I have Verizon and Asurion both and yeah thats been the policy for awhile.. as far as if you are having an issue with your phone n it is still under the 1yr manuf warrenty then you go thru Verizon to get a replacement phone after they verify the problem its much faster and easier to go to the major retail store then thru an authorized dealer cuz the dealer can't do a swap out rite then n ther like the Veriz. store can. If you have dropped your phone and broken it or dumped it in the pool or glass of milk or whtever! lol then you need to use your Asurion insurance. At least this has been the case when I have had issues in the past an ive dealt with both companies for about 4yrs now.
    10-04-09 09:25 PM
    Weird I haven't heard of that policy before now. Luckily I've only had to have one phone replaced through them and it was my chocolate that I left out in the rain. That really sucks if you're a clumsy person.

10-04-09 09:31 PM
    Although I cannot say I like the policy, I have been aware of it from the time I took out the insurance. I remember the VZN rep telling me about it.

I am also not surprised by the policy as I have seen on numerous occasions someone here on Crackberry telling someone else to "just tell them you lost your phone and get a new one using your insurance". Irresponsible behavior can have consequences that often impact the responsible individuals as well as the irresponsible people.
    10-04-09 09:33 PM
    Weird I haven't heard of that policy before now. Luckily I've only had to have one phone replaced through them and it was my chocolate that I left out in the rain. That really sucks if you're a clumsy person.

People like you are why I made this thread, but you also reminded me that I forgot to put in the exceptions.. sorry guys...

Re-Read First post
    Last edited by xesvuli420; 10-04-09 at 09:36 PM. Reason: asdfasdf
    10-04-09 09:35 PM
    I agree, This is quite ridiculous. I am glad that I really don't need asurion even though I still pay for the insurance just in case. I have had 5 storms but all have been free off the 1 year warranty. I will be getting a Storm2 once it is released and the 1 year warranty starts all over again
    10-04-09 09:38 PM
    I agree, This is quite ridiculous. I am glad that I really don't need asurion even though I still pay for the insurance just in case. I have had 5 storms but all have been free off the 1 year warranty. I will be getting a Storm2 once it is released and the 1 year warranty starts all over again
    Hey, PM me I want to talk to you about something not topic related
    10-04-09 09:41 PM
    Oh and BTW If you are shipped a BRAND NEW PHONE in retail packaging you will have a 1yr Warranty. However if you are shipped a refurbished phone, you will receive only a 6mo warranty

Seems backwards to me, its almost like they know that the damaged phones they "fix" won't last the full year![/QUOTE]

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New phones, 30 days Asurion warranty the rest of 11 months is through verizon...

Refurbished phones 1 year warranty!
    10-04-09 10:00 PM

Seems backwards to me, its almost like they know that the damaged phones they "fix" won't last the full year!
    WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New phones, 30 days Asurion warranty the rest of 11 months is through verizon...

Refurbished phones 1 year warranty!
    [/QUOTE]

Oh, yea, your right, asurions supervisor is wrong.. what was I thinking! good thing your here!
    10-05-09 09:24 AM
    This is exactly why I do not blow $8 a month for this service. I just spend $2 for the extended warranty.
    10-05-09 10:44 AM
    Heavens forbid a company replace a phone for you only twice. I see no problem with this contract.

10-05-09 10:57 AM
    Maybe you should invest in an otterbox. If you are filing two insurance claims a year you are really not taking care of your devices.

I have filed 4 claims in 6 years and 1 was lost, 1 was stolen, and two were damaged in drunken hijinks. The last one was dropped and then stepped on. I consider this amount of claims to be HIGH.

If you don't like a policy, feel free to keep your cash and not use insurance, then again, you are replacing several phones a year that are at your fault, so I'd keep it if I were you, and then start a small savings fund for the other phones you break.
    10-05-09 11:05 AM
    1) backup phones FTW

2) you're allowed two within a 12 month rolling period. The 3rd phone is when you're dropped.

3) VZW offers in-house claims still I believe.

4) annual upgrade so it'll never be an issue for me!

10-05-09 12:14 PM
    i didnt know that and also have asurion.
    thanks for posting that info and keeping us updated.
    10-05-09 12:55 PM
    1) backup phones FTW...
    Yep....but quick question:

What happens if you zip through (the max) 2 claims on your Storm, need a third, and then, rather than buy one, decide to use a backup until you're again eligible for insurance?

Guess who loses ****$30/month**** after switching to a dumb phone? I find it difficult to believe VZW would allow hundreds of dollars to slip through their hands over the course of, say, 8-12 months as opposed to just giving the customer a refurb or something and continuing to charge the monthly fee.
    10-05-09 01:04 PM
    This is exactly why I do not blow $8 a month for this service. I just spend $2 for the extended warranty.
    Sorry you cant just buy the $2 extended warranty. That portion is a add on to the $8 month plan
    10-05-09 07:07 PM
93 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD