Which is better?
    10-04-09 01:34 AM
    Absolutely personal preference. I use both. You certainly have the room on the Tour for both.
    10-04-09 07:37 PM
    Absolutely personal preference. I use both. You certainly have the room on the Tour for both.
    What he said i use both..
    10-04-09 07:39 PM
    unless you have vzw

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-09 07:49 PM
    google maps. much better. MUCH better.

plus the navigation is better in regards to routes.
    10-04-09 07:49 PM
    i prefer google maps, but it may just be because if i want i can see the same map/directions online if i need to
    10-12-09 01:27 AM
    Your sig made me throw up in my mouth a little...
    10-13-09 12:01 PM
    Has anyone had any issues with Google Maps lately? It targets my location incorrectly now, in a whole different neighborhood (though it is 5 minutes away from my real location). I'm using v3.2.0.

edit: I've also tried enabling Bluetooth but it still thinks my location is the same incorrect one. Last time I used this was last week up in L.A., pretty sure it had my location on-point....
    Last edited by LoveMyDingleberry; 10-14-09 at 10:57 PM.
    10-14-09 10:49 PM
    BBMaps does a better job of locking in satellites. GMaps seems to offer more options.

GMaps locks on to cell towers first, though. If you have GPS turned on first, it seems to do better at locking onto satellites. GMaps also doesn't refresh the GPS chip, so some people have reported GMaps going back to cell tower location once the GPS times out.
    10-15-09 08:27 AM
    I like how BBMaps keeps the orientation of your direction at the top of the screen.

I haven't found this option with GMaps. Is it available for GMaps?

I also use both, by the way.
    10-15-09 08:51 AM
    BBMaps does a better job of locking in satellites. GMaps seems to offer more options.

GMaps locks on to cell towers first, though. If you have GPS turned on first, it seems to do better at locking onto satellites. GMaps also doesn't refresh the GPS chip, so some people have reported GMaps going back to cell tower location once the GPS times out.
    Ah, I see. I'm thinking maybe its my neighborhood since that's when Gmaps tends to be a bit faulty, could it be because I live up on a hill with poor satellite reception? Because I'm at work right now, and Gmaps calculated my location correctly, on the dot this time.

10-15-09 03:58 PM
    Update: Can't be... I was messing around with it while stuck in traffic on my way home from work earlier and while it tracked my location correctly maybe twice, the rest of the time they weren't on point (e.g., pointing my location just off the road I was on). Isn't the dot supposed to move as I am too, or is that only when you're using it for getting somewhere? Earlier I had to keep clicking 'My Location' to refresh it to my new location... which it kept getting wrong anyway.
    10-15-09 08:09 PM
    is BB maps free?
    10-18-09 04:13 PM
    Yes it is free, it comes within your OS............then again I don't know what's the story with your Carrier as to some just block it forcing you to pay a monthly fee to use one of them or a third party software authorized by them., for example AT&T is been famous for not including BBMaps in the OS and bla...bla...bla.....good luck
    10-18-09 05:03 PM
    There are a few reasons why your GPS dot could be off the road on the map.

1) Poor GPS signal. This is usually only the case in a building or parking garage. GPS works marvelous even with the phone sitting in a cup holder next to the seat inside the car. There is more than enough openings with all the glass for it to have a good lock. Altitude might not work so well but location will spot on.

2) Map error. A lot of newer roads are simply not mapped well. There re roads in my town that are off by several hundred feet. The GPS is accurate, its the map that is wrong. Driving to the Outer Banks from CT, there was a one major interstate highway recently built that is way off from reality. It happens. Often you will find yourself tracking a nice parallel course near the road, just not on it.

Remember, if G-Maps is using the GPS, it will be a solid blue dot without the big blue circle. If you're moving, it will have a little arrow showing your movement direction. If you are using cell site triangulation, you will have that big blue shaded circle and it does not show movement. It just refreshes at some unknown interval.
    10-27-09 03:28 PM
    anyone having a compatibility issue with google maps 3.2.0 on their storm2? as a side note, when i go to google mobile, voice is not listed as one of the options and when i go directly to the download page for voice, it is saying that my device in incompatible. Any thoughts?
    11-01-09 11:03 AM
    I just recently deleted GoogleMaps because I read somewhere that it could be a cause of the dwindling memory issues i'm having on my 8830. The main reason i wanted it was for the traffic updates that apparently aren't available on BB Maps. I commute to and from DC every day, and it's nice to know where traffic is heavy so I can get around it instead of being stuck in it. I'm considering loading GoogleMaps again anyway just for that feature...
    11-05-09 10:44 AM
    I had the same problem when I upgraded to 5.0 OS on the Storm original version. There was a link posted in the OS forum that advised deleting the Google map application, and doing an OTA with a fresh verson from the Google Mobile website. I had to do this twice, when I upgraded from OS .230 and again to .328 (I think, I didn't take notes... ) The fault was the screen was half size and there was a keyboard that emulated the fixed keyboard versions of the BB's, but the keys were not responsive. It was very strange and a bit frustrating. However, all is perfect now with full screen maps and data.
    11-05-09 11:17 AM
    i just downloaded the GoogleMaps app from a link here. It looks a little different, maybe an updated version compared to the one I had. It looks like the file size is the same as BBMaps, so I just deleted BBMaps and will use GoogleMaps...
    11-05-09 05:45 PM
    google maps.
    11-11-09 01:29 PM
    i vote google maps.luv-it
    11-17-09 07:10 PM
    Has anyone had any issues with Google Maps lately? It targets my location incorrectly now, in a whole different neighborhood (though it is 5 minutes away from my real location). I'm using v3.2.0.

edit: I've also tried enabling Bluetooth but it still thinks my location is the same incorrect one. Last time I used this was last week up in L.A., pretty sure it had my location on-point....
    Google maps 3.2.0 does not support Bluetooth GPS (I know stupid right). I found that out when I updated to it. I just went back to 3.0.2. They added a layers option and took away one of it's primary functions GPS (in regards the bt pucks
    ).

Live maps has a north facing track with an independent arrow for your direction. And it will tell you your speed.

Last edited by strunke; 11-18-09 at 09:09 AM.
    11-18-09 09:00 AM
    I noticed that
    1) GPS is sometimes not available when I am in an electric bus (due to interference??)
    2) GPS takes a lot longer to start up than I expected. when I open my google maps, it always says "waiting for GPS" and this usually takes a couple minutes. is this normal? I always thought GPS should be instant.
    11-21-09 01:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD