APN is not specified ?!???!?!?

this is my problem in alot of APPS !

i tried tweetgenius today and it had the same problem ! it doesnt login

and when i view the logs it says "APN is not specified"

10-03-09 08:45 AM
    What OS are you on? I am getting this a lot on 5.0.238.
    10-03-09 08:52 AM
    im getting this on 4.6.0.301
    10-03-09 09:02 AM
    Im using OS 5.0.0.425 on my BB Storm and am on Vodafone Germany.
    Downloaded Blackberry AppWorld today. Has been great so far, downloaded a lot of apps. Few hours later I was just playing around with AppWorld a little more, klicked on the TWITTER App and got the same message all of the sudden:

APN is not specified.

Little more background info on Vodafone Germany Blackberry Plans:
    - no data plan as such, but rather a messaging plan (push service and surfing using vodafone wap)
    - data plans are available separately if needed, but rather for laptops. Also much more expansive (35 € per month for unlimited data! Count calls and messaging extra if you are using this with a mobile phone)
    - wap service allows limited browsing only, surfing, youtube work great but for example streaming radio is not allowed or streaming other data such as on TWITTER (would only be possible with a data plan such as mentioned before for 35 €, or cheaper using other providers...)

I had Twitter Clients installed on my Storm before. I could start them up, but not operate. Same thing, I couldn't even log in. Data connection was always restricted.

Buttom line, I knew Twitter wouldnt work. As I klicked on the TWITTER app in BB App World just to see details, I got the "APN is not specified" error and upon klicking OK got kicked out of App World. After that incident, every time I started App World I got the same error and got kicked out.
    My guess was that App World wanted to access the TWITTER app every time I started it. I thought it was in some kind of a loop. My provider restricted the data connection every time, and thus I got kicked out.
    App World didnt reset but basically got stuck on that one app.

I was asking myself how to reset App World. Restarting device didnt help. After 10 min I WANTED to pull the battery and see if that would help.
    - Plan A: pull battery (was not neccessary, because as I started App World for a last time before a battery pull it had reseted itself automatically it seemed and worked flawlessly, no APN error. I just dont go on that TWITTER app again)
    - Plan B: would have been delete and reinstall App World to reset it

As you can see the reason for the APN error in my case was a conflict between service provider (data restriction on my plan) and App World trying to access a streaming program over and over again.

I'm no expert by any means, just stating my case, assuming what happened and hoping to help.

PS: I'm changing provider toward the end of this year with cheaper unlimited data plans so I can use my BB fully. That is the only solution to a lot of issues I have with my BB.
    Last edited by Vlad M.; 05-31-10 at 06:32 PM.
    05-31-10 06:09 PM
    05-31-10 06:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD