Now I understand them....

ouch...
    10-01-09 09:15 AM
    Wrong Forum?
    10-01-09 09:18 AM
    Wrong Forum?
    Nah I just fail at making sure I completed my posts...

I have my T-Mobile branded ONYX/9700. Everything is working fine, nice phone.. (pre-release obviously, through work, I do mobile hardware design for various companies and we develop software for every platform so we get pre-release hardware from time to time).

In anycase, 3G coverage wasn't working... I checked the map.. Apparently if you don't live in the 12 major cities in the US you get no 3G... completely useless. I work/live just outside of a major city, guess no 3G for me.

Wasn't aware at how bad T-Mobile really was until now. It's almost a waste on this Onyx. The guy in the other cube has an ATT Onyx and is enjoying his 3G

Now I see why T-Mobile offers Wifi calling/UMA.. to make up for the coverage issues!

Ah well..
    10-01-09 09:48 AM
    I know what you're saying. I live in Salt Lake City, UT. The State capitol, and we dont even have 3G with TMobile. So ********. But Im glad this device is coming with UMA. Im going to need it.
    10-01-09 09:52 AM
    I know what you're saying. I live in Salt Lake City, UT. The State capitol, and we dont even have 3G with TMobile. So ********. But Im glad this device is coming with UMA. Im going to need it.
    Uhm....Salt Lake City 3G was turned on the 23rd of september! You can even see it on the map above!
    10-01-09 10:00 AM
    Yup, the 3G coverage for Worcester, MA literally stops at the city limits to the west, and when it does stop it's GPRS not even EDGE.
    10-01-09 10:05 AM
    Uhm....Salt Lake City 3G was turned on the 23rd of september! You can even see it on the map above!
    uh, well good. I haven't noticed cause I don't have a 3G device.
    10-01-09 10:11 AM
    what also pisses me off is the new Nokia N900 is tmobile 3g only.. .I'd be walking around with it on GSm and SIP connected to Asterisk.. too bad 3g is non existent and makes the phone useless.

Carrier exclusivity and ATT/Tmobiles choice of not using 2100mhz (like the rest of the world) for 3g really hurts.
    10-01-09 10:22 AM
    what also pisses me off is the new Nokia N900 is tmobile 3g only.. .I'd be walking around with it on GSm and SIP connected to Asterisk.. too bad 3g is non existent and makes the phone useless.

Carrier exclusivity and ATT/Tmobiles choice of not using 2100mhz (like the rest of the world) for 3g really hurts.
    I have a e71 with rogers and forget SIP to asterisk over 3G, tried everything, STUN servers etc.. it connects for like 4 minutes and then loses the connection, outbound calls work, but forget incoming. The NAT on the cell end messes everything up. When it works it work very well thought.
    10-01-09 10:37 AM
    [...]

There isn't any carrier exclusivity for Onyx & some of the frequencies within US were already being used by DoD (who weren't gonna budge for anyone).

You are coming across as a Verizon user... Are you "detze001" in disguise?
    10-01-09 12:09 PM
    There isn't any carrier exclusivity for Onyx & some of the frequencies within US were already being used by DoD (who weren't gonna budge for anyone).

You are coming across as a Verizon user... Are you "detze001" in disguise?
    DoD wasn't using 2100 mhz as it's currently being used BY cell companies.. just not for 3G. Also ATT and TMOBILE could have used the same agreed upon frequency for 3G data, just like every carrier did in Europe... allowing everyone to take 3G phones from one carrier to another. Of course they picked two far away frequncies and now we have this ****ty situation.

Ahh well. Atleast with CDMA you can take a phone from one company to another and still use 3g/EVDO as Sprint and verizon share the same frequency.
    10-01-09 03:36 PM
    Hmm.. I knew T-Mobile had worse service than Verizon, but wow.. It's great where I live and I don't travel that often (for better or worse).
    10-01-09 10:40 PM
    10-02-09 02:01 AM
    Ahh well. Atleast with CDMA you can take a phone from one company to another and still use 3g/EVDO as Sprint and verizon share the same frequency.
    Except Verizon and Sprint won't activate each others' phones on their networks.
    10-02-09 10:19 AM
    T-Mobile has a growing 3G network. It's still in its infancy. To compare it @ this point is ridiculous. Once the 3G network is fully operational, it will blow AT&T & Verizon 3G out of the water.
    10-02-09 10:41 AM
    T-Mobile has a growing 3G network. It's still in its infancy. To compare it @ this point is ridiculous. Once the 3G network is fully operational, it will blow AT&T & Verizon 3G out of the water.
    By the time that happens Verizon will have deploying LTE and T-Mobile will still suck.
    10-02-09 12:04 PM
    By the time that happens Verizon will have deploying LTE and T-Mobile will still suck.
    LTE aint gonna be out full blown till 2011, small trials going on now and a small rollout next year. Also T-Mo is using HSPA+ for its 3G roll out, While LTE is gonna be faster, if T-Mo wants to stay cheap AND competitive this isnt a terrible decision imho.

Besides rumor has it T-mobile might buy out Sprint and possibly go Wi-Max for their next gen stuff (rumors, not concrete) although it has been said that T-Mo is going LTE.

Yeah T-Mo 3G does suck but its getting rolled out quite nicely, we have 3G service here in daytona (perks of being a race/tourist town)
    Last edited by devildrifterX; 10-02-09 at 12:44 PM.
    10-02-09 12:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD