Ok so today I learned that the storm 2 is coming out (subject to change of course) on oct 25...

I realize this is all speculation but I'm really starting to think all we are going to get is an improved touchscreen and wifi. I'm getting it regardless bcuz my verizon contract will allow me to get it cheap and astheticly its very pleasing to me. It looks smoother hopefully thinner..no more annoying buttons to push and hopefully they sans the out of place silver accents...

But here's where I'm REALLY trying to stay positive...is it going to really be faster, will the OS be vastly mproved? Are the bugs and quickpulls going to be eliminated? Will it have more memory? Will the wifi be quality. Is selecting and cut and paste going to be more practical this go around?

I just really wonder with all the time RIM has had to work on this phone (remember we first saw in june) is it going to be a vast improvement for us storm 1 users who felt abandoned with the lack of efforts/updates we should have been given?

I'm still going to buy because my storm is starting to show its age but I hope RIM hits this out the park instead of a foul ball...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-09 10:11 PM
    It's still a Storm, so I expect a base hit, rather than a home run...
    09-30-09 10:15 PM
    By that, I mean the RIM OS is hardly my favorite interface. A mashup of the iPhone and WebOS would be more to my liking than RIM'S OS which requires far too many confirmation clicks.
    09-30-09 10:20 PM
    By that, I mean the RIM OS is hardly my favorite interface. A mashup of the iPhone and WebOS would be more to my liking than RIM'S OS which requires far too many confirmation clicks.
    I agree I don't want the OS to follow the trend I want it to SET the trend...and ditch the java OS...

09-30-09 10:26 PM
    I agree with dave1812. Yes the hardware will be better but not sooo different from the first storm. The OS will also be faster and smoother, with less lag and freezing. But essentially to me its the same phone. I would be much more likely to upgrade had they upgraded the UI to something that can really compete with the iphone and webos. Nevermind the browser. I was thinking about getting the storm 2 but because it really is going to be a similar experience, I don't think its worth it especially because my storm 1 works well enough. At least until they can fix the OS (by then there will be a much better phone both hardware & software wise). If not, its iPhone time.
    09-30-09 10:31 PM
    Ok so today I learned that the storm 2 is coming out (subject to change of course) on oct 25...

I realize this is all speculation but I'm really starting to think all we are going to get is an improved touchscreen and wifi. I'm getting it regardless bcuz my verizon contract will allow me to get it cheap and astheticly its very pleasing to me. It looks smoother hopefully thinner..no more annoying buttons to push and hopefully they sans the out of place silver accents...

But here's where I'm REALLY trying to stay positive...is it going to really be faster, will the OS be vastly mproved? Are the bugs and quickpulls going to be eliminated? Will it have more memory? Will the wifi be quality. Is selecting and cut and paste going to be more practical this go around?

I just really wonder with all the time RIM has had to work on this phone (remember we first saw in june) is it going to be a vast improvement for us storm 1 users who felt abandoned with the lack of efforts/updates we should have been given?

I'm still going to buy because my storm is starting to show its age but I hope RIM hits this out the park instead of a foul ball...

I dont care what people say, the fact that the screen has been fixed is justification enough to move up...everything else is just bonus.

Also, Bell's network SUCKS and if i had wifi i would be much better off both at school and at home
    09-30-09 11:03 PM
    I dont care what people say, the fact that the screen has been fixed is justification enough to move up...everything else is just bonus.

Also, Bell's network SUCKS and if i had wifi i would be much better off both at school and at home
    Exactly. The screen is perhaps crucial component of any full-touchscreen device, and any upgrade to it is not to be overlooked just because it's mentioned often (and for good reason). The larger memory and WiFi are great bonuses as well.
    09-30-09 11:25 PM
    Yeah, I think some people are downplaying the screen. Its going to be a slightly different experience. The OS on .230 is already alot faster than 4.7, why wouldnt the Odin be?

The overall vibe of the Odin will be different. ALthough it may seem like there are little difference, those difference together will make the experience alot better than the rough start of the storm 1.

I think its funny when someone asks a legit question about whether or not the storm 2 OS will be better and faster,

but you get responses from people saying "its still the same RIM os"

well if someone owns a blackberry most likely they are fine with the OS itself, but the prpoblem lie in the OS not working properly with bugs and such. Not really because people hate the OS itself. Its not all flashy, but with the new non gimicky screen for the s1, its going to feel alot upper class.
    09-30-09 11:41 PM
    i dont know if its hype or not, but the more i see of this storm, the better it looks. that is one slick screen! if its anywhere near as fast as the videos i've seen where people are typing on it, i think blackberry may just have the hit they've been waiting on!
    09-30-09 11:57 PM
    Why to upgrade from a Storm 1:

1) The touchscreen is superior on the Storm 2

2) The OS is FAST, so we won't see the same buggy released OS on the Storm 1

3) More memory

4) No light leaks like the storm 1 around the edges of the screen.

5) WiFi

6) A little bit more colors on the screen

7) The screen is a "little" larger on the 2nd one.

Why wouldn't the phone do well? or Why wouldn't you consider it a nice upgrade from the Storm 1?

This is the part where people have to be smart:

1) If you like keyboards and not touchscreens PLEASE DO NOT GET THIS PHONE.

2) If you are expecting this phone to be like an iPhone PLEASE DO NOT GET THIS PHONE.

3) If you already love your storm 1 PLEASE DO NOT GET THIS PHONE.

This is mostly to all of us that wanted an AMAZING Storm 1 and feel like we never got it.

Those are my 2 cents here, because soon we will start seeing more threads like this one and/or people just complaining about the phone not making them waffles in the morning for breakfast.
    10-01-09 12:09 AM
    I sure hope it's not a dud. I love the iPhone but my wallet protests against the Apple cult following. I will patiently wait to get my hands on the Nokia N900.
    10-01-09 12:41 AM
    I want Odin already. Im tired of waiting.
    10-01-09 12:47 AM
    solomondrin, i agree with you , who the **** would buy a blackberry anything and want it to be a iphone? why dont you just go buy the iphone. thats like getting mad at your cat cause dosnt bark. buy a ******* dog.
    10-01-09 12:58 AM
    solomondrin, i agree with you , who the **** would buy a blackberry anything and want it to be a iphone? why dont you just go buy the iphone. thats like getting mad at your cat cause dosnt bark. buy a ******* dog.
    Haha! Uum, well put!
    10-01-09 01:01 AM
    Lol! Not the way I would have put it, but uh, that still sums it up.
    10-01-09 07:25 AM
    It doesn't make waffles ? WTF................
    10-01-09 07:34 AM
    i dont know if its hype or not, but the more i see of this storm, the better it looks. that is one slick screen! if its anywhere near as fast as the videos i've seen where people are typing on it, i think blackberry may just have the hit they've been waiting on!
    I don't know. I think that in many ways, the generation 1 Storm was a huge hit. Look at the Crackberry forums alone. Even with all of the other devices that RIM has put out, there has been no bigger discussion topic than the Storm. And for coming devices, the Storm 2 is set to be just as big, if not bigger.

Now, I'm not saying sales numbers necessarily dictate its success, but between hype and the user community, it has taken these boards literally by storm. You can't deny the mark it has made on this community and for RIM itself.

So how do you measure success if not by what's been shown already?
    10-01-09 07:40 AM
    I agree with dave1812. Yes the hardware will be better but not sooo different from the first storm. The OS will also be faster and smoother, with less lag and freezing. But essentially to me its the same phone. I would be much more likely to upgrade had they upgraded the UI to something that can really compete with the iphone and webos. Nevermind the browser. I was thinking about getting the storm 2 but because it really is going to be a similar experience, I don't think its worth it especially because my storm 1 works well enough. At least until they can fix the OS (by then there will be a much better phone both hardware & software wise). If not, its iPhone time.
    I totally agree. I just hope that if I have a phone that wants to play videos and surf the web and play games it does so All The Way. No half stepping here. The blackberry Storm in my true opinion is that it is a better phone than the iphone. The screen itself is going to be enough for me to get the phone. I just hope its fast as **** w/o the lag I get from typing or switching from landscape to portrait mode. Things like that. The web OS upgrade would be surely appreciated.

I don't want an iphone. They don't even have a flash on their cameras (how they fudge that up?) I want a bbstorm. I just want that if RIM says the phone does a certain thing it doesn't do it in a half *** manner.

And I really hope it comes out soon bcuz the unconfirmed/delayed dates are killing us who really want it...

10-01-09 07:52 AM
    I totally agree. I just hope that if I have a phone that wants to play videos and surf the web and play games it does so All The Way. No half stepping here. The blackberry Storm in my true opinion is that it is a better phone than the iphone. The screen itself is going to be enough for me to get the phone. I just hope its fast as **** w/o the lag I get from typing or switching from landscape to portrait mode. Things like that. The web OS upgrade would be surely appreciated.

Also I wonder if its going to be easier for developers to program for and develop apps or are we going to hear the same gripes about the limitations

I don't want an iphone. They don't even have a flash on their cameras (how they fudge that up?) I want a bbstorm. I just want that if RIM says the phone does a certain thing it doesn't do it in a half *** manner.

And I really hope it comes out soon bcuz the unconfirmed/delayed dates are killing us who really want it...

10-01-09 09:19 AM

lmao, that was funny. nicely put!
    10-01-09 09:44 AM
    Love my S1 and will judge the S2 after 5.0 comes out. Personally the screen has never been that big an issue. Wifi would be nice and a faster processor may seal the deal if 5.0 does not make improvements to my S1.
    10-01-09 10:00 AM
    Thats been my only drawback, the screen! As far as I'm concerned they fix the screen, I am sold! I don't use many apps but the extra memory is good too. And lastly since the OS 5 I been terrorizing my Uncle with it (He uses 3GS) change is coming to the Storm name! mwahahaha
    10-01-09 12:15 PM
    I guess I will b satisfied with an improved screen. A much faster processor. And for it to be easier for developers to go app crazy.

10-01-09 06:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD