Is the 8350i really that bad? I keep seeing all the negatives about the BB since last year. I've been a Nextel subscriber for 10 years and have used BB from other carriers for work for over 5.

I just order one up and it is due by the end of the week. Was it truly a bad choice?
    09-30-09 02:12 PM
    Opinions vary. I can only speak for myself in saying I will by moving to another devise and possible another carrier and I have been with Sprint/Nextel for over 10 years.

See either of these threads:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f137/so...-8350i-325239/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f137/so...rkside-325570/
    Last edited by ibbeach0; 09-30-09 at 02:33 PM.
    09-30-09 02:21 PM
    its not that the device is crappy. the iden network is not capable of moving data at a decent speed which is why the 8350i has wifi.
    09-30-09 02:25 PM
    I'm actually pretty happy with mine. When I first switched to Boost, I was having all sorts of problems...missed calls, slow/never receiving texts...but here recently everything has smoothed out.

I don't use the phone to browse the network all that often. I occasionally check my facebook and stuff, but I never just browse around using IDEN.

Overall, I'm happy.
    09-30-09 02:53 PM
    I have the 8350i thru work. It is my 1st BB and I enjoy it.
    I would like to get another BB some day but since I have to
    have the Nextel side of it I will be out of luck for awhile.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-09 03:00 PM
    Any other opinions?
    09-30-09 03:27 PM
    My biggest problem is the text messaging not being reliable. I can deal with slow internet. But its built to communicate and when it dosent its a paperweight. If they can fix that I will be either extremely happy or sad that I already switched

09-30-09 03:47 PM
    I just switched from the 8350i to a 8330. To be honest the phone its self is good. Looks awesome too. But it lacks the ability to do a lot of things the other curves can.

Apps for the most part seem to suck on the 8350i if they use data for anything.

You can't tether with the 8350i and even if you could it would be slower than dialup

There is a HUGE issue with text/email delivery. They really need to get that worked out and fast.

The phone is constantly trying to use data to send/receive texts/emails. Since getting the 8330 I have not once gotten a call, while the phone was sitting idle, that went straight to voicemail. This happened a few times a day with the 8350i.

Honestly the only thing that seemed to work flawlessly on the 8350i was the DC. Other than that I was not at all happy, and now realizing what the 8330 can do, It seems insane that they charge 3x that for the 8350i for the new contract price ($150 vs $50)

Good luck, hopefully you are more patient than i and can wait around for the fixes nextel/sprint have promised. I couldn't I was missing too much important info that was time sensitive.
    09-30-09 03:48 PM
    Yes it is.
    09-30-09 04:02 PM
    I have used the 8350i since July and I think it is a fantastic phone, and I am using it on Boost Mobile no less. I use it with wifi and on the mobile network. It works fine on the apps I have installed for example, Funambol, Stitcher, Evernote, Blackstar, Google Maps, Nav4All and many more. I have not had any of the problems many of you talk about, no dropped calls, I get text messages seconds after they are sent. I have had calls go to voice mail when using data, but I get notification of the call as soon as I end the data session. I have no complaints so far. Of course I am not using my phone to try and replace my laptop and broadband.
    09-30-09 04:15 PM
    I have used the 8350i since July and I think it is a fantastic phone, and I am using it on Boost Mobile no less. I use it with wifi and on the mobile network. It works fine on the apps I have installed for example, Funambol, Stitcher, Evernote, Blackstar, Google Maps, Nav4All and many more. I have not had any of the problems many of you talk about, no dropped calls, I get text messages seconds after they are sent. I have had calls go to voice mail when using data, but I get notification of the call as soon as I end the data session. I have no complaints so far. Of course I am not using my phone to try and replace my laptop and broadband.
    I couldn't have said it better!

50.00 Boost unlimited everything + 8350i = One happy Me!
    Best bang for my limited bucks!
    09-30-09 04:27 PM
    Overall, I like my phone. Yes iden is slow, yes it has data and texting issues but Direct Connect far outweighs those glitches. If we didn't require DC, I would have pulled the plug long ago and gone with a different model and provider. So I guess you weigh your options if you need DC this is the way to go, if you don't then consider a different model.
    09-30-09 09:11 PM
    slow internet...lame.
    slow texting...lame.
    All black...awesome.
    A little thicker...awesome.
    Overall...its the best phone Nextel offers.
    10-01-09 02:02 AM
    I've been pleased with my phone. My text messages work fine. The internet is slow but meets my need. My company has Nextel because of the DC. The 8350i works well for me.
    Last edited by Thor Johannsen; 10-01-09 at 06:54 AM.
    10-01-09 06:48 AM
    I have yet to have a problem with mine yet. YMMV.
    10-01-09 08:22 AM
    The phone itself is fine....IT'S NEXTEL/SPRINT THAT STINKS!!! No support for the 8350i AT ALL! No updates, constant outages as they "upgrade infrastructure...) I like the phone, it's the carrier that is ruining things.
    10-01-09 10:15 AM
    The phone itself is awesome. The look the feel the size makes it IMO the best BB out there. But the servixe problems are just beyond ridiculous. If you have always had nextel you will prolly like the phone, if you've had any other carrier and are coming into nextel, you would hate it. Its become such a flawed network, and it doesn't seem that sprint will actually invest even a part of the money they should have a long time ago into this side of it. Please hold while the nextel subscriber you are trying to reach is located... And then my voicemail, full bars no data running in the background. For a work phone if you need DC yes, as a personal phone, don't lock yourself up in no texting, no calls, and semi sorta internet.

10-01-09 11:46 AM
    Oh and remember there's always the 30 day trial period. Lol.

10-01-09 11:53 AM
    I have yet to have a problem with mine that Nextel didn't fix by sending me a new one. I haven't had any texting problems or dropped calls. The Internet is a bit slow but I love the wifi. I can use that at work and even though I don't have a signal, I can still chat and get emails.

Just remember that the complaints here are only a very small sampling of the number of the 8350i users.

10-01-09 01:18 PM
    I have had very few problems. A couple dropped calls when I have been in a bad signal area but I can accept that. Only a couple delayed messages. The biggest problem is the text retrieved content issue that many others have had. Considering I'm not a big text user, I find it only a minor problem. It is my first Blackberry and I haven't been disappointed by it. Been a Nextel customer for over 5 years.
    10-01-09 01:41 PM
    I've had mine since dec. Last year. After the second os update my phone worked perfect. Yes the iden is a little slow but with the wifi your good. People say that the phone is slow but all blackberry browsers are a little slow. I was in verizon and even though I was connected to wifi my 8350i loaded faster then the tour and the tour doesn't have wifi, when I'm on the internet my dc call and phone calls come through, when I'm on a phone call my dc calls come through so its a improvement with the network. Every device is made for different people and the 8350i works for me. People will always complain even if the phone was perfect cause we all want better....

10-01-09 01:41 PM
    OK, based on everyones input, I did order up 2 8350i's and they totally screwed up by sending me 2 Sprint phones. I'm trying get this resolved and ben on the phone for over 57:00 minutes and spoke to 6 people thus far. Does anyone have a number that I can have my issues esculated to? I'm ready to walk away from Nextel (have been a customer for over 10 years) and go with someone else tonight.

Please help !!!!!!
    10-01-09 04:06 PM
    611 would be the number to talk to.

as for the thread, i only had 1 issues that i could not fix with my 8350... it got slightly wet and caused the keyboard pad to go bad. i took it to my local repair center and they replaced it in about 30 minutes (they were kinda busy at the time). but other than that the phone is sweet. when sprint approached RIM about building a new blackberry, RIM answered. i know its a little outdated now, but up until the release of the tour, it had the NEWEST and ADVANCED technology ever put into a blackberry. ya we have fallen behind on the updates, but one for nextel cant be that far off.
    10-01-09 04:31 PM
    i got mine almost a week ago and i love it but im still getting the hang of it
    10-01-09 05:29 PM
    haven't had any problems with my 8350i. This is my first blackberry and I've been addicted to it since the day I bought it and I've been with nextel for about 10 years. I haven't had any missed calls or sms messages. Everything is working great. Yeah, the IDEN network is slow, but it's on a damn cell phone, its not a laptop. I think the phone is fantastic. But just like in everything else, there is always going to be a group of haters.
    10-01-09 07:37 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD