Has anyone whose Storm is connected to a corporate BES done these unofficial OS upgrades? Anything specific to BES that I need to know about before I try it? Does it usually "just work" after you're done?
    09-30-09 12:04 PM
    I have BES and have updated to many unofficial OS. For me, I just have to have the Admin reset my password when I go to reactivate BES. I haven't tried yet with any 5.0 OS, but I might today.
    09-30-09 12:20 PM
    I'm a BES admin and I am running 5.0.0.230 on my storm right now. Works just fine. If you upgrade your OS from a computer that has the desktop manager on it (connected to your BES server) it will re activate it self and all will be fine.
    09-30-09 12:26 PM
    If you upgrade your OS from a computer that has the desktop manager on it (connected to your BES server) it will re activate it self and all will be fine.
    I do this each time I update so, I don't need to contact IT to reactivate.
    09-30-09 12:30 PM
    I'm a BES admin and I am running 5.0.0.230 on my storm right now. Works just fine. If you upgrade your OS from a computer that has the desktop manager on it (connected to your BES server) it will re activate it self and all will be fine.
    I'm considering helping a friend with this. What if we skip the desktop manager method and just use app loader? Will it reactivate itself in the same way? The computer we would be using is connected to the BES server.
    09-30-09 12:31 PM
    I'm considering helping a friend with this. What if we skip the desktop manager method and just use app loader? Will it reactivate itself in the same way? The computer we would be using is connected to the BES server.
    in my experience no. the user will have to call his/her BES admin and get teh password reset and reactivate the phone.

You can try doing the upgrade then connecting it to the DM and see if it reactivates, but i don't think it will
    09-30-09 12:37 PM
    in my experience no. the user will have to call his/her BES admin and get teh password reset and reactivate the phone.

You can try doing the upgrade then connecting it to the DM and see if it reactivates, but i don't think it will
    I was just trying to avoid putting desktop manager on the computer, but I might as well just do it.

Thanks for the help!
    09-30-09 12:38 PM
    Putting desktop manager on a computer that is also connected to the BES is not an option. I can only put desktop manager on a computer at home. Are upgrades still doable?

I've only upgraded my phone once. To .148 when it became official from Verizon. I did it OTA, which was a significant PITA because I kept running out of application memory and having to reboot. But I did not have to involve IT. Once it was finally done, the thing just worked with my BES.

Obviously OTA updates are not available for unofficial OSes.

I upgraded my wife's Storm to .148 using Desktop Manager, but hers is not connected to a BES.
    09-30-09 12:47 PM
    If using DM on a computer connected to the BES isn't an option, you can still upgrade to the unofficial OS so long as you ask your BES admin to issue you a new password. Once that happens, you can reactive the BES wirelessly by entering your username and the new password. Having a computer with DM connected to the BES just skips this step, because as soon as you log into that DM it will (usually, so long as your BES is set up this way) automatically start the reactivation.
    09-30-09 01:40 PM
    You can certainly use AppLoader to install the new OS, but that alone will not reactivate your BES. Once you have finished loading the new OS, plug your BB in and log into DM. So long as you are connected to BES (and your BES is set up to allow this), that is when the reactivation will begin.
    09-30-09 01:41 PM
    You can certainly use AppLoader to install the new OS, but that alone will not reactivate your BES. Once you have finished loading the new OS, plug your BB in and log into DM. So long as you are connected to BES (and your BES is set up to allow this), that is when the reactivation will begin.
    OK. I think that's what we'll try first. Worst case we have to call the admin and ask for a password reset. She just hates to bug em..

Thanks for all the advice!
    09-30-09 02:09 PM
    It takes the IT folks like 2 seconds to reset the pw. They shouldn't mind. I bug my guys all the time!
    09-30-09 02:19 PM
    Is it necessary to use the DM to do the update, or can you simply do the update using Loader on the same computer?
    09-30-09 03:29 PM
    Is it necessary to use the DM to do the update, or can you simply do the update using Loader on the same computer?
    Keep readin' my friend....
    09-30-09 03:40 PM
    Keep readin' my friend....
    Duh. Sorry.
    09-30-09 04:02 PM
    After updating, I've always just opened DM while at work or VPN'd in, and it always reactivates automatically without having to bother the BES admin. Although, when I updated to 5.0.0.140 when that leaked, I got an email from my BES admin saying an unauthorized was in use.

That was a first though, all other 4.7 leaks have been fine, including .167. Haven't tried another 5.0 OS leak yet, as there seems to be serious flaws in each leak so far.
    09-30-09 04:10 PM
    I m on BES and you can just connect up through DM and it will activate, however I have not been able to get through the activation process for any 5.0 leak, it just keeps reseting the phone. I can get the 4.0's to work just fine but no 5.0 leak to date has worked on my phone !
    09-30-09 07:36 PM
    +1 on not being able to get 5.0 working on my BES, keep getting constant reboots. If your BES has tight IT policy that forces encryption then you may not want to upgrade to 5.0. I've had no issues using any of the 4.7 leaks however.
    09-30-09 09:35 PM
    +1 on not being able to get 5.0 working on my BES, keep getting constant reboots. If your BES has tight IT policy that forces encryption then you may not want to upgrade to 5.0. I've had no issues using any of the 4.7 leaks however.
    I'm having the same problem and only with the 5.0 leaks. which suck b/c the time that i've played around (before the phone rebooted) was great.
    10-02-09 10:55 AM
    Has anyone nailed down the issue with the 5.0 leaks and BES - is it due to the encryption? I too can re-activate enterprise sync, but then get the constant reboots - perhaps something to do with the security timer? I hope this gets fixed soon as 5.0 rocks!
    10-02-09 11:38 AM
    I think becasue all the other 4.7 releases and hybrids are based off of an OS that has been relesed by some carier around the world that they have been tested to work with BES and encryption. Since 5.0 is really leaks from RIM without carrier testing or official releases by any carrier it may not be tested or set up to work on highly encrypted BES. I am guessing that we will have to wait for an official release for this to work, but this is just my guess.
    10-02-09 12:04 PM
    I m on BES and you can just connect up through DM and it will activate, however I have not been able to get through the activation process for any 5.0 leak, it just keeps reseting the phone. I can get the 4.0's to work just fine but no 5.0 leak to date has worked on my phone !
    This is what happens to me on all 5.x OSes, has anyone gotten past this?
    10-02-09 02:18 PM
    Nothing 5.0 works with my BES, just had to go back to .167 sadly. Constant reboots are not my friend!

I tried rebooting in safe mode (hold down the back key while loading) to disable encryption, but it was still greyed out even in safe.
    10-02-09 02:40 PM
    It makes me really mad - having had a glimpse of how cool 5.0 is - that I can not use it with my BES!
    10-02-09 02:56 PM
    It makes me really mad - having had a glimpse of how cool 5.0 is - that I can not use it with my BES!
    I know! I considered not using BES for about five minutes before i realized what a hassle it would be without it ...
    10-02-09 03:19 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD