Well folks, got a few e-mails from RIM's Legal Counsel and I have to remove any and all Blackberry OSes from my website:

Mr. Yocum,

The operating systems that I sent you a takedown for are pre-release operating systems. As a result, in addition to being in violation of RIM�s copyright, your posting of those operating systems is also a misappropriation of RIM�s trade secrets.

All of the BlackBerry operating systems that you have on your website are infringing RIM�s copyright and as I stated above, where a pre-release operating system, also a misappropriation of RIM trade secrets.

Accordingly, please remove all instances of BlackBerry operating systems from your website.

Regards,

Jordan R. Vaeth

I don't feel like fighting with him about the official releases and such so it is just easier for me to remove that whole page from my site. Sorry folks, but you will have to try and find OSes somewhere else from now on.

Chris
    09-30-09 10:23 AM
    that sucks
    09-30-09 10:24 AM
    bummer. They really crack down on hosting those things. Hard to get .238 already.
    09-30-09 10:29 AM
    that sucks
    I agree.
    @Chris- Aside from this issue, thanks for providing an alternative site that provides additional reference sources to new and older members as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-09 10:30 AM
    Thanks, tho, Tronyx. It's been ... berry ... helpful while it was up.
    09-30-09 01:59 PM
    Thank you
    09-30-09 02:03 PM
    thanks for all the hard work on providing us useful info....

blame it on the man-always trying to hold us down......
    09-30-09 03:15 PM
    Wow Chris, That really does suck! But, I would imagine you'd keep a private list (not posted to the internet for RIM to see) for us Crackberry's. huh?
    09-30-09 08:09 PM
    I agree - certainly not worth fighting about. Your site will still be very helpful as there is so much good stuff there aside from the OS downloads. I have found it useful and for that, many thanks!!

It's too bad RIM wants to crack down on the very users that keep it in business. Not a good way to create or maintain goodwill.
    09-30-09 09:59 PM
    That sucks my friend. Thanks for the links while you still had them, I'm sure they helped a lot of people... including me
    09-30-09 10:09 PM
    Tronyx, you have always been very helpful and I appreciate what you are/were doing!

Thank you!
    09-30-09 10:16 PM
    Your site is still very helpful because of all the other information that you still have and the links. I am going to keep it bookmarked.
    09-30-09 10:33 PM
    Understood! Some Battles Just Aren't Worth Fighting.
    Still, Hooked on Tronyx is still a GREAT BlackBerry resource... THANKS!
    10-01-09 05:48 AM
    That totally blows thanks for all the help and good information though

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-09 06:35 AM
    Thanks for providing the site for us.
    10-01-09 07:07 AM
    Thats a low blow by RIM - keep up the good work!!
    10-01-09 08:05 AM
    Wow, thanks for all the support guys! I don't plan on ever taking the site down, I just wish I could have kept the OSes up for everyone. Looks like I'll have to keep looking for more stuff to add to keep it interesting, lol.

Chris

EDIT: Just wanted to let everyone know that HoT had it's best month ever last month with 25,536 unique visits! The 2nd best month was July with only 13,076. The funny part is that I rarely reach 1,000 uniques a day, but this past Tuesday...the leaking of the .238 OSes, I had 5,766 followed by 2,141 yesterday. Thanks for helping me reach a new bar with the site everyone. I know this month won't be nearly as great as September since I had to take down the OSes, but that's not what it's about. It's about keeping my fellow Crackheads addicted! Good ratings are one h*ll of a morale booster though, lol.
    Last edited by Tronyx; 10-01-09 at 09:37 AM.
    10-01-09 09:14 AM
    Well, we certainly appreciate everything you've provided. I know I've visited your page and it's so helpful. Thanks for the hard work!!!
    10-01-09 09:41 AM
    What if you reply just with "no speake engrish" Are they legally obligated to communicate with you in your native language?
    10-01-09 11:21 AM
    Well folks, got a few e-mails from RIM's Legal Counsel and I have to remove any and all Blackberry OSes from my website:

Mr. Yocum,

The operating systems that I sent you a takedown for are pre-release operating systems. As a result, in addition to being in violation of RIM’s copyright, your posting of those operating systems is also a misappropriation of RIM’s trade secrets.

All of the BlackBerry operating systems that you have on your website are infringing RIM’s copyright and as I stated above, where a pre-release operating system, also a misappropriation of RIM trade secrets.

Accordingly, please remove all instances of BlackBerry operating systems from your website.

Regards,

Jordan R. Vaeth

I don't feel like fighting with him about the official releases and such so it is just easier for me to remove that whole page from my site. Sorry folks, but you will have to try and find OSes somewhere else from now on.

Chris
    Good for RIM. I hope you learned a lesson in all of this. Don't **** with corporate, or they will **** you.

The best news is, you aren't going to court.

Unlike the NFL, if you have a site with anything NFL or your favorite team logo, you will get sued, no questions asked.
    10-01-09 01:54 PM
    Thanks for the site.

I'm a "tweaker", and it was nice to see a place where people could get different builds in order to find out which one works best to suit their needs.

If RIM offered such a download location in the first place, they would earn the communities respect, instead of shutting down a site that's a use-at-your-own-risk way of allowing a en mass beta test (or to get older non-leaked builds). It essentially is a free source, allowing a larger survey group in the community, from which they can pull real interpretations from actual users. Of course to top it off you probably saved lots of bandwith, from retail providers, to distribute their official OS's.
    10-01-09 05:38 PM
    Your page will still be bookmarked... Thanks for everything, Chris.
    10-01-09 06:26 PM
    While I can understand's RIM's side on the beta OSes, it sucks to have to rely on Rapidshare and sites of the like. RIM just wants to make it more difficult to get beta/pre-release software.

Either way, I would also like to thank you for hosting the site. It's been a major help to a lot of us!
    10-01-09 09:40 PM
    Darn. Your sight was always one stop shopping for me. I appreciate your efforts. Thanks.

Sidebar: glad this happened after I switched to the iphone...
    10-01-09 11:07 PM
    Good for RIM. I hope you learned a lesson in all of this. Don't **** with corporate, or they will **** you.

The best news is, you aren't going to court.

Unlike the NFL, if you have a site with anything NFL or your favorite team logo, you will get sued, no questions asked.
    Actually, I didn't learn a lesson because I wasn't f*cking with RIM in the first place. I didn't know that it was copyright infringement or a misappropriation of their resources for me to host the OSes to begin with.

Thanks for the continued positive comments everyone.

Chris
    10-02-09 12:15 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD