How fast does something have to be before it’s almost incomprehensible? That’s the question I asked myself as I read the announcement from Alcetel-Lucent that the scientists at Bell labs had broken the transmission speed record of more than 100 Petabits per second.

If you are like me you are asking, “What the heck is a Petabit?”. One Petabit is the equivalent of 100 million Gigabits per second. To get an idea of just how big this test was, sending 100 Petabits per second is like sending the amount of information contained in 400 DVDs per second. And what’s even more astounding, they sent the data over a distance of 7000 kilometers. (roughly Paris to Chicago) To accomplish this feat, the scientists used 155 individual lasers, each carrying 100 Gigabits of data per second.

This is a vast improvement over our current undersea transmission lines which operate at less than 1/10 of this speed currently.

With the massive expansion of internet usage and the ever increasing demands for faster and faster speeds, this kind of technology will help carriers meet the need of their customers and to create new and exciting ways to provide more interactive content.

“There is no question that this record breaking transmission is a milestone in achieving the network capacity and speeds and a key step forward in satisfying the ongoing explosion in demand,” said Gee Rittenhouse, head of Bell Labs Research. “This is a prime example of Bell Labs preeminent research and demonstrates the ability of our researchers to solve complex problems,” he explained.

[source: Alcatel-Lucent]

MobiMadness Article:
    New Record: 100 Petabits per second (100 Million Gibabits) | MobiMadness
    09-28-09 08:08 PM
    great, so when will this replace modems for us folks in the sticks????
    09-28-09 08:21 PM
    Well then why is my pearl browser still slow?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-09 08:22 PM
    DAMN. 0_o

Great for gaming, yea?
    09-29-09 02:01 AM
    Soon data will be received before you even send it.....

Holy paradox Batman......
    09-29-09 07:17 AM
    impressive.
    09-29-09 08:23 AM
    It's easy if you have a dedicated point to point laser.
    09-29-09 08:29 AM
    Here is an idea, how about they stop trying to break speed records and instead focus on increasing the current broadband to a larger customer base. Stop focusing on ridiculous speeds in a tiny segment and focus on instead blanketing the entire nation in broadband worth a damn.....
    09-29-09 08:41 AM
    Here is an idea, how about they stop trying to break speed records and instead focus on increasing the current broadband to a larger customer base. Stop focusing on ridiculous speeds in a tiny segment and focus on instead blanketing the entire nation in broadband worth a damn.....
    oh the close minded... have you thought that if it wasn't for the Germans who wanted a faster plane, we wouldn't have the planes we have now?
    09-29-09 08:58 AM
    When can I beam myself somewhere else?
    09-29-09 09:07 AM
    ...scientists at Bell labs had broken the transmission speed record of more than 100 Petabits per second.

...This is a vast improvement over our current undersea transmission lines which operate at less than 1/10 of this speed currently.
    While the absolute number is mind boggling, it's only a 10-fold increase. My broadband increased that much when I switched from DSL to cable internet!
    09-29-09 09:48 AM
    Large Hadron Collider will come online in the next year or so. When it does, it will be generating and distributing incomprehensible amounts of data.

Data produced by LHC as well as LHC-related simulation will produce a total data output of 15 petabytes per year.[43] For comparison, every word spoken worldwide in one year, converted into text, would amount to 2–3 petabytes of data, only a fraction of the data size CERN has to handle.

09-29-09 10:10 AM
    Large Hadron Collider will come online in the next year or so. When it does, it will be generating and distributing incomprehensible amounts of data.

I was sad it malfunctioned in the first place.
    09-29-09 11:04 AM
    Wow that's just incredible .. The gaming shouldn't have any lag

09-29-09 11:47 AM
    Soon data will be received before you even send it.....

Holy paradox Batman......
    Now that's what I call fast.

09-29-09 11:57 AM
    With the massive expansion of internet usage and the ever increasing demands for faster and faster speeds, this kind of technology will help carriers meet the need of their customers and to create new and exciting ways to provide more interactive content.
    they are trying to increase it so that the demand dosen't catch up with the current speed and clog the lines, yea lets offer it to a ton of more people on the existing speed! That's a good idea! Everyone can get the same ****ty speed then!
    09-29-09 05:45 PM
    When can I beam myself somewhere else?
    February 31, 2015
    09-29-09 05:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD