ok i have my bold in pieces and i've snapped off the usb port that was broken. now i need to know how to attach the new usb port. i've searched for repair vids but haven't found any.

if anyone out there in blackberry land can help i'd be very much grateful.

pls pls pls pin me if you can help me out with this. pin: 21003244
    09-26-09 12:57 PM
    So you snapped off the usb port without first knowing how to replace/repair it? I don't think it's plug and play like a LCD. They're may be some soldering involved.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-09 05:29 AM
    u sure u aint damaged the board
    09-27-09 06:59 AM
    Don't know much about the inside of my bold maybe I should, but I know snapping the usb off can't be good.

09-27-09 09:02 AM
    I say your phone is toast. The USB port is the life line of your device.

09-27-09 09:06 AM
    No, no, no.

I snapped off the old USB (carefully). It's just glued on besides the soldering on the contacts. The board itself isn't damaged. Yea, I have to solder the new one back on to the contacts, but I'm dying in this area. I need a how-to video or something to more or less guide me because right now I'm totally clueless & it's almost impossible to find that how-to video for this ANYWHERE. I know it's done because many people do it. I just need to figure out how?!?!?
    09-27-09 11:10 AM
    the usb on bold IS solder on the four pins around the edge as well NOT glued. If you have pulled it off you more than likley have pulled the solder pads up off the board as well which will scrap the handset, you will tell if you have because it will just be a black hole. These sort of usb are hard to change.
    09-27-09 01:30 PM
    I say your phone is toast. The USB port is the life line of your device.

I say you don't know what you're talking about.
    Your BlackBerry can still be recharged through a dock with the pair of base contacts. And for mass storage, you would need a card reader.
    It's far from toast. Make the OP feel better, not worse.

09-27-09 01:37 PM
    No, no, no.

I snapped off the old USB (carefully). It's just glued on besides the soldering on the contacts. The board itself isn't damaged. Yea, I have to solder the new one back on to the contacts, but I'm dying in this area. I need a how-to video or something to more or less guide me because right now I'm totally clueless & it's almost impossible to find that how-to video for this ANYWHERE. I know it's done because many people do it. I just need to figure out how?!?!?
    i can do it for you if you like. Im an electrical engineer in the Air Force and i can honestly say the only person/people who can solder better than us is Yoda himself. I do micro soldering everyday and some custom electrical work at home, most recent being a custom TLC555 mod on the xbox 360 wireless controller circuit board. If not then i can guide you in the right direction, unfortunately soldering is not something that can be learned from a video, it takes practice, patience and skill.

Here are some quick tips;
    1. Have a decent soldering gun/iron. for circuit board 15w and small precision tip will be the best.
    2. Rosin-Core solder, 60/40 usually but i actually use 62/36/2 Silver-Bearing solder, works better for most of my applications
    3. Use flux
    4. Use flux
    5. Did i mention to use flux?
    6. Get desoldering braid or solder sucker, trust me, you'll need it since you'll goop it up (big misunderstanding, "bigger the blob, the better the job" is NOT true.)
    7. Do NOT apply the solder iron the the component or the circuit board for more than 5 seconds, you can damage them. If the solder dosnt take in the first 5 seconds then let it cool off and use some flux, and "tin" the solder iron with some solder.
    8. Hold the tip at a 32-45 degree angle to the solder joint to avoid peaks and cold cracks
    9. I suggest you either make something to hold the circuit board or buy the alligator clip + magnifying glass combo you can readily get at Radio shack.
    10. If the contacts are coated in chrome you will need to scratch it off if you are using 60/40 Rosin-Core solder, not so with the silver bearing solder.

Good luck, practice on something laying around the house until you feel comfortable doing the phone, trust me, it will pay off since you could ruin your phone very easily if you slip the wrong way.

Here is some eye candy of what i get to work with;

09-27-09 01:57 PM
    I say you don't know what you're talking about.
    Your BlackBerry can still be recharged through a dock with the pair of base contacts. And for mass storage, you would need a card reader.
    It's far from toast. Make the OP feel better, not worse.

If he bricks his phone, or the OS gets corrupted for some reason he will still be able to charge it and have mass storage! Gee why didn't I think of that! Who doesn't know what he's talking about?

09-27-09 02:10 PM
    If your service is through AT&T, file a claim and get a refurb. If the Refurb does not work, they will ship out a new one. This is definitely less trouble and does not involve soldering.
    09-27-09 02:39 PM
    If your service is through AT&T, file a claim and get a refurb. If the Refurb does not work, they will ship out a new one. This is definitely less trouble and does not involve soldering.
    Physical damage is not covered under warranty. Plus from the information he provided it looks like he voided his warranty by opening his device. If he doesn't have insurance then he's pretty much out of luck.
    09-27-09 03:47 PM
    I had my charging port fixed yesterday at CPR. They are opening stores nation wide. Check to see if one is in your area. It was $40, 20-30 mins and works perfectly. Just wanted to share.
    11-06-09 08:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD