If we are not supposed to have the OSs/leaks then why does RIM push out updates so that certain apps will be compatible for these OSs??

Is this something they do on purpose (accidentally)

Am I crazy in thinking something like this?
    09-25-09 09:48 PM
    09-25-09 09:56 PM
    Yeah man I've seen that. The thing I don't get is that wouldn't they be mad that someone that wasn't supposed to leak the OS leaked it and not give out the next leak? Even if they didn't care about that and continued to let out leaks, then why would they let out an OFFICIAL update for apps to compatible with those leaks?
    09-25-09 10:00 PM
    The updates to RIM apps do more than just enable compatibility with future OS versions - they add new features that existing users can use right away. Intentionally crippling those applications makes no sense.
    09-25-09 10:09 PM
    Yeah man I've seen that. The thing I don't get is that wouldn't they be mad that someone that wasn't supposed to leak the OS leaked it and not give out the next leak? Even if they didn't care about that and continued to let out leaks, then why would they let out an OFFICIAL update for apps to compatible with those leaks?
    SO that testers can continue to test full functionality. Futher, they are gearing up for an official release in the coming weeks/month.
    09-25-09 10:18 PM
    The updates to RIM apps do more than just enable compatibility with future OS versions - they add new features that existing users can use right away. Intentionally crippling those applications makes no sense.
    Yeah I know that they would let out updates to make the apps, that is logical. I never said anything about crippling any apps.

I just find it interesting that these updates came out right when everyone was getting mad because these apps weren't working with the 5.0 builds., Coincidence?

Also, its odd that some people are saying these updates don't work with the older builds.
    09-25-09 10:29 PM
    its not a coincidence....think about it, the Odin launch is supposedly middle next month...all these apps from RIM HAVE to work by then on OS 5 and 4.7 both really
    09-25-09 10:35 PM
    its not a coincidence....think about it, the Odin launch is supposedly middle next month...all these apps from RIM HAVE to work by then on OS 5 and 4.7 both really

Good point!
    09-25-09 10:37 PM
    Yeah I know that they would let out updates to make the apps, that is logical. I never said anything about crippling any apps.

I just find it interesting that these updates came out right when everyone was getting mad because these apps weren't working with the 5.0 builds., Coincidence?

Also, its odd that some people are saying these updates don't work with the older builds.
    I see what your saying. Its just off how we get so many leaks and as big of a deal it should be, RIM doesn't speak on it or make a deal of it. RIM knows the effect that leaks and other things that happen indirectly from them have on certain aspects of their company, and probably consider it part of what keeps their most loyal bb fans loyal. After all it is the fan base and sites like this that stir hype and give WOM to new devices, which is probably how RIM isn't needing to make fancy commercials about odin.
    09-25-09 10:38 PM
    I see what your saying. Its just off how we get so many leaks and as big of a deal it should be, RIM doesn't speak on it or make a deal of it. RIM knows the effect that leaks and other things that happen indirectly from them have on certain aspects of their company, and probably consider it part of what keeps their most loyal bb fans loyal. After all it is the fan base and sites like this that stir hype and give WOM to new devices, which is probably how RIM isn't needing to make fancy commercials about odin.
    And another good point!

So essentially, RIM knows the OSs are going to get leaked and fall into the hands of crazed Crackberryists like ourselves and that is part of the fun of owning a blackberry ? Also, at the same the same time they are getting free publicity, so like you said they don't need to have any fancy commercials.
    Last edited by z06mike; 09-25-09 at 10:56 PM.
    09-25-09 10:41 PM
    If you think these app or OS versions you see are "new" by any means, you're joking yourselves. I'm by no means an insider, but to think the RIM has had the 9550 in testing with VZW for over a month and telling them... yeah, test the OS core, we're still working on the apps that are part of the OS, it'll be ready by launch, we promiss you.... yeah, I don't think so.

What we get, others have had FOR A WHILE. I've said it before and I'll say it again.... we get the crumbs. By the time it makes it to us, RIM doesn't even give a isht anymore.... well, they care, but you get what I'm trying to say.
    I couldnt agree more with this. Then when they do decide to leak it or let us have it they make it seem like its just been let out when in fact they have had it for weeks or months. Oh wait, it kind of reminds me of this thing called BBM. People have it but keep telling everone that it has too many bugs for us and we wouldnt want it anyways. Just like when the first BBM 5.0 leaked we were all told the same thing about the bugs and how we wouldnt want it. The ones that have had it FOR A WHILE will give little hints here and there but wont leak it until the time is right, whatever that means.
    09-26-09 12:34 AM
    I think leaks is a public testing of RIM ! although they' re not admit
    the best benefits they get are how people respondes ....if the leak good they keep it on progress and if leak failed they have no responsibilities for that because it's not official .....and easy to fix it ......
    that's a smart ways doing business........
    feel free to correct me if I am wrong .......
    09-26-09 02:16 AM
    I think leaks is a public testing of RIM ! although they' re not admit
    the best benefits they get are how people respondes ....if the leak good they keep it on progress and if leak failed they have no responsibilities for that because it's not official .....and easy to fix it ......
    that's a smart ways doing business........
    feel free to correct me if I am wrong .......
    you are but its 330 in the morning and dont feel like writing a paragraph to explain how we provide no usable feedback other than 'its awesome" or "its broke"
    09-26-09 02:35 AM
    Am I crazy in thinking something like this?
    Maybe! Might wanna get yourself checked!

09-26-09 03:51 AM
    you are but its 330 in the morning and dont feel like writing a paragraph to explain how we provide no usable feedback other than 'its awesome" or "its broke"
    Win!
    10char
    09-26-09 06:53 AM
    They should just keep on releasing test builds until Civic endorses one. That is the one that gets sent to all the carriers.
    09-26-09 08:50 AM
    They should just keep on releasing test builds until Civic endorses one. That is the one that gets sent to all the carriers.
    If that were the case, you would not have a storm right now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-09 10:19 AM

People have been complaining about RIM developed apps not working with 5.0 for several months now. It makes complete since that RIM is releasing compatible versions now as OS 5.0 is supposed to be officially released sometime in Q4 2009.

Is it "convenient" that RIM's latest versions of App World, IM apps, Facebook, etc work only with the OS that just so happened to be the latest one to be released? Probably just a coincidence.
    09-26-09 10:30 AM
    Trust me, if RIM wanted to leak the leaks, they wouldn't spend so much time and money trying to remove them. The recent releases of Facebook and the IM apps were official releases. The IM apps added new functionality, not just 5.0 compatibility, and who knows, maybe the Facebook app was posted to avoid a leak of a new version.

But RIM does not leak the leaks. If it was up to them, you wouldn't get any leaks. Mind you, if it was up to them, I'm sure the carriers would use different testing strategies and release upgrades a lot more often (or at least release newer/better OSes rather than just the ones that pass testing in the slow order carriers use for testing).

09-26-09 10:47 AM
    I have to disagree with you just a little on that. I know for a fact that some issues in 4.7 builds from .9x-.148 had to be explained in great detail to some people at RIM for them to "get it". Then low and behold, .151 fixes the issues. (Obviously I'm not going to go into detail here, but trust me... it happens like this sometimes.)

Now, I'm by no means saying we (the community) are anything close to the testing capabilities of the real devs and RIM testers, but what we do best is tinker with stuff... and because of the sheer mass of people we have, we have a lot more eyes looking at the OSs that get leaked. By math alone, we have a better chance of finding the little issues and posting about them. Will we ever be able to report "official" findings to them or test radiation levels or radio db fluctuations when the phone's in your back pocket compared to in your hand, no.... but we will be able to point a finger and laugh when the keyboard all of a sudden drops off some characters or something else doesn't seem quite right. Everyone at these companies thinks radio stability and OS stability is the most important thing, but I for one think what pays the bills on a daily basis are the little glitches that we tend to find. These are the bread and butter of the community and this is what we're here for. In the end, the leaks I believe have helped RIM more then not. If it hadn't been for the community, RIM wouldn't be where they are now with 5.x. We ask for stuff, they try to make it happen... why... because we're their consumers and we pay their bills.
    09-26-09 11:30 AM
    I've always believed they have let the leaked copies out when they are ready.

First would be programers
    Second inside alpha testers to ensure the update is not potentially harmful and runs ok.
    Thirdly external beta testers, get the update when they feels it's of a safe nature
    Fourthly it's leaked to people like ourselves and given to the networks for aproval. Feedback from all diffrent stages is collected and used to improved future releases.
    lastly it's officially released, anything that's been picked to pieces in stage four is just passed by and never made official.

Well that's my take on it anyway, were all just part of the beta process, I wish I could move up a level to external testers the same as most on here and guess it will probably never happen but I'm happy enough playing with upgrades a little earlier than the normal run of the mill user and it's alway good to try out a new version .

09-26-09 11:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD