I've been looking everywhere for an answer to this and I am going ape!!! Is there a way to turn the shutter sound off or a program you can install to get rid of that??

Thanks in advance.

09-25-09 07:06 PM
    There is an app called camera mute...it is free....google cameramuteapp

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-09 07:10 PM
    I am not sure that cameramuteapp works on the xx30 devices at this point, i believe that is a GSM app.
    09-25-09 07:11 PM
    BerryAnnoying works perfectly on the Tour.

09-25-09 07:13 PM
    I am not sure that cameramuteapp works on the xx30 devices at this point, i believe that is a GSM app.
    Works on my tour.....

09-25-09 07:15 PM
    berry annoying is awesome. I have it on my tour and it works as it should.
    09-25-09 07:26 PM
    Thanks!!

09-25-09 07:41 PM
    Was wondering that too weird you can't disable it on your phone
    01-12-10 12:14 AM
    You can also quiet this function through quicklaunch....
    01-12-10 07:25 AM
    Was wondering that too weird you can't disable it on your phone
    It is because In Japan some years agothere was an epidemic of people using cell phone cameras to take upskirt shots of unsuspecting school girls. The shutter sound became mandatory there to make it harder to take "secret" shots and somehow this "feature" made its way over to US phones too.

Or something like that.
    01-12-10 09:23 AM
    It is because In Japan some years agothere was an epidemic of people using cell phone cameras to take upskirt shots of unsuspecting school girls. The shutter sound became mandatory there to make it harder to take "secret" shots and somehow this "feature" made its way over to US phones too.

Or something like that.
    ahahahahaha that is an awesome story.
    01-12-10 09:25 AM
    the best part about that story...i'd honestly believe it is true...lol

along with the fact that certain employers don't want you taking pictures of stuff at work, and i'd think a loud shutter noise would give it away quite quickly as to what your doing!!
    01-12-10 09:33 AM
    Except that every dumb phone has the option to mute the shutter. So the above reasons don't make sense. If an employer doesn't want employees with cameras, they'll only offer phones that do not include a camera. Shutter sound makes no difference.

i don't think what happens in Japan would cause RIM to exclude that feature for phones sold in the US and Canada. Besides, it's been excluded way before the upskirt phenomenon.

i think it's a feature that's been overlooked for whatever reason. Like adding numbers to existing contacts, being able to add a new number as mobile instead of always work.

Only being able to set one alarm (not counting the work arounds).

There's a lot of features not included that ought to be since non smart phones have them.

01-12-10 09:41 AM
    I use the QuickLaunch program to mute my camera. It works quite well. However, it puts an annoying "QL Mute" Menu item on every single menu on all applications. It would be much more convenient if they just put it within the camera application. Oh well.
    01-12-10 10:18 AM
    Except that every dumb phone has the option to mute the shutter. So the above reasons don't make sense. If an employer doesn't want employees with cameras, they'll only offer phones that do not include a camera. Shutter sound makes no difference.

i don't think what happens in Japan would cause RIM to exclude that feature for phones sold in the US and Canada. Besides, it's been excluded way before the upskirt phenomenon.

i think it's a feature that's been overlooked for whatever reason.
    agreed.

So i was trying to take a picture of my cousin that was graduating last week. He's walking up to give his speech and the rest of the crowd is utterly silent. Then there's me with my blackberry. I put the phone on silent (thinking that would kill the shutter sound) and snapped a picture. Loud shutter sound broke the silence. everyone turns and just glares. Someone even let out a loud "SSHHHHH"

So i ended up with only one very blurry picture of my cousin walking up to the podium on his graduation day.
    01-12-10 10:44 AM
    there is a free app and you can find the link on page two for the tour forums
    01-12-10 01:17 PM
    any of these work on the storm 1
    01-12-10 01:35 PM
    http://www.blackberrymagazine.com.br...eraMuteApp.jad

here is the free app. This works on my tour running .419. This should be the end of this thread now
    01-12-10 04:00 PM
    http://www.blackberrymagazine.com.br...eraMuteApp.jad

here is the free app. This works on my tour running .419. This should be the end of this thread now
    Anyone else trying to access that link from your phone, please note CameraMuteApp.jad is case-sensitive.
    Last edited by andy957; 01-12-10 at 04:39 PM.
    01-12-10 04:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD