View Poll Results: Slacker vs Pandora (Storm Edition)

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Slacker

29 52.73%
  • Pandora

26 47.27%
    Now that it's been awhile since Pandora and Slacker have released compatible players for the Storm, I'd love to hear everyone's input on which they like better.

For me personally, I paid for Slacker premium which I did because at the time, Slacker had the only Storm compatible player out on the Storm.

I like Slacker for it's premade stations but sometimes I find the music selection a bit dull when compared to Pandora.

I like Pandora for it's music selection but it's paid plan doesn't allow unlimited skips and it's Storm Client isn't as well designed in my opinion as Slackers.

Your thoughts?
    09-25-09 02:49 PM
    For free: Hands down Slacker... Pandora only allows 40 hrs of music before it shuts off for the month... While I like Pandora's content, this was enough for me to delete the app from my storm.

Cheers,
    B.D.
    09-25-09 03:46 PM
    I used to use Slacker. Than I gave Pandora a shot and have never looked back. Pandora offers a higher-quality selection of music, IMO. I don't come close to the limit.
    09-25-09 03:49 PM
    both have pluses and minuses...for me slacker is good, pandora would probably works fine to in all reality. I dont need both though
    09-25-09 03:58 PM
    I use both... I use slacker if I want to a broad variaty of music.... And pandora for spasific music

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-09 04:24 PM
    slacker all the way. Seeing the next song (artist) is nice, and the 40hr limitation of pandora would suck.
    I have no problems with the music selection on slacker. Anytime I start to hear the same music too much, i switch to a different station and its all good.
    09-25-09 05:39 PM
    pandora IMO is much better. the only thing with pandora is that gets on my nerves is that if you restart pandora or after a batt pull, they tend to play the same 5 first songs.

pandora ftw.
    09-25-09 05:46 PM
    For free: Hands down Slacker... Pandora only allows 40 hrs of music before it shuts off for the month... While I like Pandora's content, this was enough for me to delete the app from my storm.

Cheers,
    B.D.

This is not true regarding listening on your mobile phone and only applies to listening through your PC. Might as well put the app back....

(by the way here is the workaround if you are too cheap to pay a buck if you reach that limit...How to get around Pandora’s 40 hour music limit - OS X Daily

Slacker is more polished as an app (and also clunkier in my opinion...why make it so hard to close or pause?), but it's all about the music baby and Pandora owns Slacker in that area.

Slacker is programmed by lame *** DJ's...errr radio professionals. Pandora is programmed by musicians identifying similar musical qualities.

Slacker also has the pre-made stations and the comedy stations, memory card caching, song/artist.lyric info and stuff...but none of it matters because the music is not as good and that is the number one aspect these apps need to deliver on.

Also Pandora lets you pause with the mute button, making it easier to listen because it's so easy to stop the music. When unplugging from the car stereo simply pause easily...with slacker you have to navigate the touch screen, close it, and then it asks you again if you want to close it (SOOOO Annoying)...if not you unplug it and music blasts through the phone speaker with no simple way of stopping it.

I am also pretty sure Slacker has not fixed the issue with the song starting over when you get an alert...have they? That's a pretty big issue.

Now we just need Pandora to be .230 compatible already!
    Last edited by blaisedinsd; 09-25-09 at 06:02 PM.
    09-25-09 05:58 PM
    Have the issues with Pandora stopping after an hour with the memory popup been resolved?
    09-26-09 06:21 AM
    The slacker song starting over issue has been fixed for a while now.

09-26-09 08:37 AM
    Slacker also does the mute/button thing up on top now, so check all the facts before making comparative statements - .

They're both very close to each other in terms of functionality; it almost ends up being personal preference. For example, to me, the advantages that Slacker has are:
    - lyrics
    - artist bio
    - cache (huge)
    and the Storm client UI has been much improved as well.

(ok it's been a while since I used Pandora so even my own declarative statements might even be wrong..lol).
    09-26-09 09:42 AM
    Have the issues with Pandora stopping after an hour with the memory popup been resolved?
    If you mean the BB OS bug that came in the 4.7.0.151 OS, then update to the 4.7.0.167, which fixes that bug(which affected both Pandora and Slacker equally)

I prefer Pandora for a token reason, exiting Pandora is easy, exiting slacker is more steps. SIlly I know, but hey, it matters to me, especially when driving.
    09-26-09 09:50 AM
    The pause hard key does actually work...I guess just not as good of not at the beginning of a song or something. However alerts are pausing my song and it is not restarting unless I so it myself and even then it starts at the beginning of the song. I wonder why its not working for me? I an on .230 right now trying gain to see if I can live with slacked instead of Pandora.

09-26-09 10:16 AM
    I'm tempted to test out both on my BB, but having used both in the past I really like Slackers interface.
    09-27-09 08:27 PM
    I like the pre-existing station on slacker. Other than that I guess I'm not really partial to either. They both essentially do the same thing.
    09-27-09 09:08 PM
    I run Pandora till I hit the 40hr limit, then switch to Slacker for the rest of the month.
    09-29-09 10:54 AM
    I run Pandora till I hit the 40hr limit, then switch to Slacker for the rest of the month.
    40 hour limit? You have hit this on your Storm?

There is no 40 hour limit on mobile phone listening from what I have heard.

I have been trying to use slacker on .230 a bit...While Slacker does have hardkey pause with the mute button, it sucks. It never seems to pause the first time I press it. Pandora pauses and restarts instantly...and I frequently have to pause and restart.

Also Slacker does have the song restarting issue sort of fixed, but it still flaky. I had issues with it not restarting the song at all after it pauses it to sound an alert. Then when restarting the song it started over.

Pandora flakes out occasionally, but overall it's easier to use and the music selection and the song selection is much better. Music and ease of use are the two most important things and Pandora beats slacker in both areas. I used to love Slacker before Pandora came out for storm....and I keep trying to go back to it but it's just not as good.
    09-29-09 01:56 PM
    i use them both. Slacker is better onbattery life while i think Pandora has better song selection. Hard for me to choose.

09-29-09 03:19 PM
    Pandora is great for song selection...I agree! But unless Pandora puts together a station caching feature like Slacker has....(since I cant get a lick of signal in my office)...I'd switch back to Pandora in a heartbeat!!
    10-02-09 09:48 AM
    I like Slackers built in stations, but the commercials are getting to be more of an pain, lately. The sound quality is better on Pandora, but creating a station that I can listen to day-to-day seems to be more work than it should be. The whole point of a cell phone is convienence and Slacker is better that way. So, inspite of the commercials (cause I'm not willing to pay) I vote for Slacker.
    10-30-09 09:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD