hey guys, i got this blackberry bold on craigslist and it was locked to rogers and worked perfectly. i got an unlock code from horizonwireless.com and put it in. it accepted the code, but now it won't recognize ANY sim card. not even rogers. wiped the software, put it back on, didnt work. i had my friend who is great with blackberrys play with it on the computor for about an hour, he said that there are people who fix it, he just doesn't know who.
    when the sim card is put in the top of the screen reads "installization failed" and "SOS" where the reception bars should be.
    09-24-09 08:21 PM
    Check to make sure you have your Mobile Network turned on, under "Manage Connections."

Check mark it.
    09-24-09 10:42 PM
    maybe im wrong but dunt u need to use a rogers unlock key to unlock it if its lock to rogers?
    09-24-09 10:49 PM
    Check to make sure you have your Mobile Network turned on, under "Manage Connections."

Check mark it.
    Unless your are in a poor reception area this should be the problem.
    09-24-09 10:58 PM
    After you did the unlock, did you do a battery pull?

first, verify the phone was unlocked
    >Menu
    >Options
    >Advanced Options
    >Sim Card
    >type MEPD (you will not see what you are typing)
    >Network, Network Subset, Service Provider and Corporate. If unlocked all should say Disabled

second, make sure that the SIM cards are properly seated.

third, check to make sure you are connected to a network
    >manage connections
    >make sure mobile network is checked
    You should see your network provider.

last resort:
    fourth, reset the OS as if it were nuked
    BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com
    09-24-09 11:12 PM
    After you did the unlock, did you do a battery pull?

first, verify the phone was unlocked
    >Menu
    >Options
    >Advanced Options
    >Sim Card
    >type MEPD (you will not see what you are typing)
    >Network, Network Subset, Service Provider and Corporate. If unlocked all should say Disabled

second, make sure that the SIM cards are properly seated.

third, check to make sure you are connected to a network
    >manage connections
    >make sure mobile network is checked
    You should see your network provider.

last resort:
    fourth, reset the OS as if it were nuked
    BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

i did all 4 of these things. any other recomendations?
    09-25-09 12:25 AM
    have you tried reinstalling the OS, and making sure the vendor file was deleted?
    09-25-09 12:30 AM
    my friend who tried to fix it said something about that so i'm pretty sure he did try that
    09-25-09 12:31 AM
    Call your service provider and ask them to reset your account.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-09 07:20 AM
    If you're not sure about whether the OS was formatted, you may want to try it again before you declare the phone as a paperweight

Your phone does say that the network lock is disabled right?

Network is set to automatic selection in the manage connections menu?

Did horizon have any advice??

09-25-09 08:10 AM
    Even if network is locked phone should accept sim with "invalid sim card" message. I still opt for "hanged" account on provider's end.

09-25-09 08:17 AM
    Even if network is locked phone should accept sim with "invalid sim card" message. I still opt for "hanged" account on provider's end.

it can't be the provider, i've tried multiple different provider sim cards
    09-29-09 06:47 PM
    it can't be the provider, i've tried multiple different provider sim cards
    my bold did this once before and after trying everything out there including calling rim....they declared the phone dead and sent me a new one. bbs do have a 1 year warrenty....call rim and ask em for help. lets us know what they say
    09-30-09 12:32 AM
    my bold did this once before and after trying everything out there including calling rim....they declared the phone dead and sent me a new one. bbs do have a 1 year warrenty....call rim and ask em for help. lets us know what they say
    sure i'll give this a shot, what number did you call?
    09-30-09 12:59 AM
    This worked for me.
    1) Go to Manage Connections
    2) Scroll and select Mobile Network Options
    3) Scroll down to Network Technology and change to 1XEV (if it says GSM/UMTS) this is your problem.

This happens when you select Emergency Call (911) and dial. It automatically changes this setting to GSM/UMTS which allows local authorities to "trace" where you are (using GPS). Cool if you really are in trouble!
    moreunique likes this.
    03-10-10 10:48 PM
    This worked for me.
    1) Go to Manage Connections
    2) Scroll and select Mobile Network Options
    3) Scroll down to Network Technology and change to 1XEV (if it says GSM/UMTS) this is your problem.

This happens when you select Emergency Call (911) and dial. It automatically changes this setting to GSM/UMTS which allows local authorities to "trace" where you are (using GPS). Cool if you really are in trouble!
    Thank you SO much!!! This was my problem, I attempted to contact my carrier and they tried everything where they was ready to completely wipe the entire system. I'm thankful I told them that there had to be an easier way, came on here and seen your advice as the very "last resort", low and behold... IT WORKED!!!

I called 911 and there after was I was stuck in "SOS Mode" with a message of "insert valid SIM card" over the clock. Well, my phone do not require a SIM card. (US Cellular)

Thank you so much! I thought I was about to lose everything!!!
    04-11-11 07:50 AM
    Thanks. Changing the GSM back to 1XEV worked for me. Couldn't find anything in the manual that said anything about this. I have my phone back.
    06-15-11 10:58 AM
    this worked for me.
    1) go to manage connections
    2) scroll and select mobile network options
    3) scroll down to network technology and change to 1xev (if it says gsm/umts) this is your problem.

This happens when you select emergency call (911) and dial. It automatically changes this setting to gsm/umts which allows local authorities to "trace" where you are (using gps). Cool if you really are in trouble!
    how do you find find that option?.im using a blackberry torch 9800

06-28-11 04:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD