Im about to buy a Blackberry from AT&T and have decided to buy either a Curve 8900 or 8320. Are they pretty much the same phone? I dont really need a super fast one, so if speed was the only difference then ill probably get the 8320. I also wanted to add music to it, so like a 8+GB card. Is it as simple as buying a new sD memory card and putting it in for both of em? Because ive heard its a hassle with the 8320. After my data plan contract is up, I plan on just going without one because I have wifi at my campus. Im gonna use the phone for calls, texts, calender, email, and music.

I have also heard BlackBerry's have a big problem with freezing, any truth to this? Is the phone a super reliable phone, because the phone I have now is not reliable at all, it freezes and everything. I want a super reliable do it all phone that I can have for a while.

Thanks Alot
    09-24-09 05:28 PM
    The 8900 is much better than the 8320 - really there is no comparison. Also, your information says you are with T-mobile. What reason are you switching carriers? The 8900 is a much better device with T-mobile as compared to AT&T because T-mobile offers UMA while AT&T does not.
    09-24-09 05:31 PM
    The 8900 is much better than the 8320 - really there is no comparison. Also, your information says you are with T-mobile. What reason are you switching carriers? The 8900 is a much better device with T-mobile as compared to AT&T because T-mobile offers UMA while AT&T does not.
    Agreed, get the 8900 with a UMA enabled carrier, you won't regret it.
    09-24-09 05:32 PM
    Nothing else needs to be said as far as I'm concerned.
    09-24-09 05:35 PM
    I'd go with 8900. It makes no sense buying the older Curve with 2 upgrades above it, not to me anyway. I have 8900 and my boyfriend has 8320 and there's a noticeable difference.

I am perhaps biased, but I don't like buying old stuff when it comes to technology. Whatever you buy will be old in 6 months more or less, why add to the process? I just think that buying older because you don't "need" anything better will make you regret it pretty soon.

My 2 cents.
    09-24-09 05:35 PM
    Just wait for the 9700 to come to T-mob in November. It gets 3g, uma, better keypad (subjective), trackpad, leather door cover, and faster cpu.
    09-24-09 05:36 PM
    Just wait for the 9700 to come to T-mob in November. It gets 3g, uma, better keypad (subjective), trackpad, leather door cover, and faster cpu.
    Just make sure 3G is right for you. Less battery life and not covered everywhere. Those are the two main issues.
    09-24-09 05:37 PM
    You won't get push email without a data contract. You'll have to view the email on your carrier's website. Get the 8900 for sure. The 83xx is old stuff now. It came out over 2 years ago and the 8900 came out in Feb.
    09-24-09 05:47 PM
    Im going with AT&T because I can get added to my grandparents plan. I was told it was cheaper to get added onto a contract rather than start a new one, is that true? I only have TMobile Pay As You Go. What is UMA? I thought AT&T was better? Is TMobile really that much better, and is the price any different? Thanks so much to everyone
    09-24-09 06:18 PM
    What is UMA?
    I can't answer the rest of your question since I'm not American, but UMA is a technology that switches your call to Wi-Fi network when you're in the area of an open Wi-Fi making it free. Once you leave that area, it switches you back to normal network and you once again pay for your call. When one spends a lot of time in the vacinity of a Wi-Fi network (work, house) it pays off - you talk for free.

It switches you to and from Wi-Fi without interrupting the call.
    09-24-09 06:22 PM
    It might be cheaper to add another line to theirs and share minutes. UMA is a Tmob only feature that lets you call in places where there is no Tmob signal but there is WiFi. The 8900 works the same on both. Data is 5 bucks cheaper on Tmobile. That's about it.
    09-24-09 06:23 PM
    bold all the way!
    09-24-09 06:24 PM
    Im going with AT&T because I can get added to my grandparents plan. I was told it was cheaper to get added onto a contract rather than start a new one, is that true? I only have TMobile Pay As You Go. What is UMA? I thought AT&T was better? Is TMobile really that much better, and is the price any different? Thanks so much to everyone
    That's a good reason, it may very well be cheaper to add yourself to another plan. I would compare apples to apples and be sure but likely that is the case - it just depends on your specific situation and needs.

UMA is a feature that connects your device to to your cellular carrier's network through the Internet via the WiFi connection. This will provide you with the ability to have a connection to your cellular carrier in areas that do not have cellular coverage but do have WiFi Internet access. Some (probably all) cellular carriers that offer UMA will allow you to have an additional add-on to your account that will give you all your calls via UMA for free. See my note below for more details on that.

I can't answer the rest of your question since I'm not American, but UMA is a technology that switches your call to Wi-Fi network when you're in the area of an open Wi-Fi making it free. Once you leave that area, it switches you back to normal network and you once again pay for your call. When one spends a lot of time in the vacinity of a Wi-Fi network (work, house) it pays off - you talk for free.

It switches you to and from Wi-Fi without interrupting the call.
    This is not entirely true. While UMA can give you free calling over WiFi, you must purchase the add-on feature for the calls to be free. Otherwise, the calls will be deducted from your plan as they normally are when you are connected to the cellular connection. The add-on costs around $10 a month.
    09-24-09 06:34 PM
    bold all the way!
    Way to boost your post count with a useless post. Good job.
    09-24-09 06:34 PM
    Way to boost your post count with a useless post. Good job.
    At least he can PM now.

On a UMA note I convinced IT to give me my own wireless router so I can manage it and get UMA access at work. No more connection problems!
    09-24-09 07:15 PM
    Oohh ok thanks so much, ill probably get a curve 8900, sounds good
    09-24-09 09:31 PM
    If youre using it for media, i'd go for the 8900. the high res screen will be much better
    09-24-09 09:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD