So after I installed .230 my screen is dim. So dim its almost black. If I reboot it then its fully bright but as soon as it goes to black (30 sec later)... I hit the screen to bring up the main screen and the screen is almost black again. I went to the settings to make the screen not dim at all but sure enough... it keeps doing it.

Is this a bug or a known issue. Been looking forward to 5.0.0.230 but so far it's not living up to the hype that everyone else is making it up to be. Oh and when texting... the thing that pops up to suggest a word to use... ANNOYING!!!

Any tips would be great!
    Thanks in advance
    09-23-09 07:17 PM
    There's random screen dimming in at least .191 and .230 so it's not just you. The only thing to do right now is just deal with it, sadly.
    09-23-09 07:40 PM
    yeah thats the bad thing about leaks
    09-23-09 07:55 PM
    I have it but not nearly as bad as you are describing.

Try going to Options> Screen/Keyboard and change backlight brightness to 100, Auto dim to off.

Mine also dims with .230 but not to the point where it is almost black. Maybe setting the brightness higher will limit the amount it dims.
    09-23-09 08:18 PM
    I have it set to 100 with dim off. Funny, now it dims as soon as it's in landscape mode. When I turn it back it gets bright again. It's driving me crazy. I don't want to go back to 4.7 but... I wasn't dealing with this either.
    09-23-09 09:34 PM
    Yep it only does it in landscape mode.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-09 10:30 PM
    Its just ine of the many annoying things buggy .230 does and one of the main reasons I went back tony hybrid which IMHO is better then .230.

09-23-09 10:42 PM
    Its just ine of the many annoying things buggy .230 does and one of the main reasons I went back tony hybrid which IMHO is better then .230.

actually its not really a bug at all. Its been that way in all the OS's. People just didnt realize it. If fact it was that way on .148 if I remember correctly. If you are in a dim room and you turn your phone to landscape it will dim so its not blindingly bright.
    09-23-09 10:57 PM
    So after I installed .230 my screen is dim. So dim its almost black. If I reboot it then its fully bright but as soon as it goes to black (30 sec later)... I hit the screen to bring up the main screen and the screen is almost black again. I went to the settings to make the screen not dim at all but sure enough... it keeps doing it.

Is this a bug or a known issue. Been looking forward to 5.0.0.230 but so far it's not living up to the hype that everyone else is making it up to be. Oh and when texting... the thing that pops up to suggest a word to use... ANNOYING!!!

Any tips would be great!
    Thanks in advance
    I've written a TON about this in the OS Discussion section. You're lucky that the screen can 'undim' at all - in my case - once it dims, that's it. Only a battery pull fixes it. That's why I'm not dealing with this crap - it appeared in 4.7.0.167, 5.0.0.191 and 5.0.0.230 for me. And I did everything right - multiple wipes, multiple factory resets, wipes with BBSAK and JLCMDR, and the dimming always appeared in those OS's before loading any 3rd party apps or restoring my user data. My password was always set to OFF. And even when autodim was on OFF, with any length of dimming (you can set it from 10 sec to 2minutes I believe), once it dimmed, it was screwed up. So again you're lucky. I'm back on .148 - no dimming whatsoever. Dimming to failure (screen displaying active black) always appeared in any of the OS's w/ the new transitions (might be a correlation, might be a part of the problem). Rotating the screen didn't fix it.
    09-23-09 11:22 PM
    I have it set to 100 with dim off. Funny, now it dims as soon as it's in landscape mode. When I turn it back it gets bright again. It's driving me crazy. I don't want to go back to 4.7 but... I wasn't dealing with this either.
    thats how its been in all the builds. Its not a bug. Its meant to be that way.
    09-23-09 11:29 PM
    thats how its been in all the builds. Its not a bug. Its meant to be that way.
    It's much more severe now than previous builds and seems more random. Sometimes it dims just a little and sometimes it dims a LOT. On the plus side it doesn't blind me when I'm in bed now and it makes the clock easier to have on next to the bed.

What I find interesting is that people say they have a hard time seeing anything. I keep my brightness level at 10 all the time and even at it's dimmest I can see it fine.
    09-23-09 11:34 PM
    It's much more severe now than previous builds and seems more random. Sometimes it dims just a little and sometimes it dims a LOT. On the plus side it doesn't blind me when I'm in bed now and it makes the clock easier to have on next to the bed.

What I find interesting is that people say they have a hard time seeing anything. I keep my brightness level at 10 all the time and even at it's dimmest I can see it fine.
    its not any more severe on this os for me than it was on the other ones. I keep mine at 60 all the time and its just fine when Im in a dark or dim room.
    09-23-09 11:36 PM
    its not any more severe on this os for me than it was on the other ones. I keep mine at 60 all the time and its just fine when Im in a dark or dim room.
    Hmmm, must be another case of the "not everyone's Storm will react the same way!" LOL! I certainly don't have any trouble seeing it, but there is a HUGE difference. It would probably be the equivalent of going from 100 to 40, except it starts at 10 and goes down from there. Um, -50? I actually think 10 is too bright though, so less is good to a point.
    09-23-09 11:46 PM
    I was running 4.7.0.167 before the upgrade to .230 and I never had any dimming till 5.0 In my opinion 4.7.0.167 was the best OS i have had so far. No dimming and the most bug free... well, on my Storm anyway. Looks like I'll prob just go back to it.
    09-24-09 03:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD