I am traveling to Manchester, York and Edinburgh in several weeks and have the option of bringing either a Tour on VZW or an 8900 on either ATT or TM. Assuming I don't get a local SIM and use the global roaming voice and date package from one of the US carriers, is there a preference in terms of price and, especially, coverage?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

P.S. I have looked at all the major UK carrier's coverage maps but don't have any confidence that they are any more accurate than the coverage maps in the US.
    Last edited by minehan; 09-23-09 at 04:14 PM.
    09-23-09 04:09 PM
    I spend a fair bit of time in Manchester and Edinburgh. I live near Manc and go there are fair bit, both my Orange Blackberry and My Fiance's O2 iPhone get perfectly good coverage in both places.

Orange should be able to supply a PAYG SIM with BIS on it, i think they charge �1 for the SIM, and then it's �5 per month for the BIS service.
    Last edited by BeakerUK; 09-23-09 at 05:02 PM.
    09-23-09 05:00 PM
    Many thanks for the response. I'll look into the Orange SIM.
    09-25-09 12:00 PM
    I spend a fair bit of time in Manchester and Edinburgh. I live near Manc and go there are fair bit, both my Orange Blackberry and My Fiance's O2 iPhone get perfectly good coverage in both places.

Orange should be able to supply a PAYG SIM with BIS on it, i think they charge �1 for the SIM, and then it's �5 per month for the BIS service.
    isnt the BB bundled with the sim? i thought u have to buy a BB to get the �5 option.

also, since his PIN is active already. Wouldnt he be allowed to use it?

im also going to the UK in a few months and ive been reading up on the Orange BIS option. if my 8830 wont work with Orange (since its active), i would either sign up for the Sprint international bb plan or get a 8120 w BIS through my Aunt on Orange
    09-25-09 01:25 PM
    the coverage maps are a load of ######, the only way to test network signal is by being in that area and chosing a different provider from your network menu.
    09-26-09 12:02 PM
    isnt the BB bundled with the sim? i thought u have to buy a BB to get the �5 option.

also, since his PIN is active already. Wouldnt he be allowed to use it?

im also going to the UK in a few months and ive been reading up on the Orange BIS option. if my 8830 wont work with Orange (since its active), i would either sign up for the Sprint international bb plan or get a 8120 w BIS through my Aunt on Orange
    Not sure to be honest about the SIM, but the Orange shop guys would be the people to ask!

Also if the handset is unlocked it shouldn't matter. Both my 8120 and the 8900 I've just picked up swap networks when I plug my T-Mobile SIM in. When I start the handset up it says "You are now registered with the wireless network" in a message, and when I log in to my Orange account i have to re-add my device to the BIS service. I rarely use the T-Mobile now, but it's got an arseload of credit on it because they stuffed me on my 3G Stick data plan. I upgraded through Carphone Warehouse rather than direct with Orange, because I wanted an unlocked phone.
    09-26-09 12:09 PM
    I don't think it will matter what network is the best as you will automatically roam to the strongest network available.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-09 02:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD