My former boss wants to go to Verizon and become a new customer and get 2 phones on a new family plan. For phone #1 he wants a Blackberry Tour. For phone #2, he just wants a ****ty free phone for his wife since she is a housewife in her 70s and will not use the phone much.

Since verizon currently has buy one get one going on with the Tour, would he be able to get his Tour, and then get the 2nd one to give to me to activate on my account to replace my storm, which I want to throw against the wall almost daily and can't even comprehend using it until Nov 2010. I know VZW probably wouldn't just give him the 2nd Tour and let it not be activated, but I didn't know if they would give him one that they would let me activate on a separate account. I would go in the store with him to do this. I figured since he was a new customer, that might give him a little more leverage to get his way rather than if he were an existing customer.

Any thoughts on the matter?

thanks
    09-22-09 05:28 PM
    Both phones have to be activated on two qualifying lines on the same account or on separate accounts with the same name.

To get wife a free dumbphone would require a third line.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-09 06:10 PM
    Buy him a basic phone.
    Have him get the BB free.
    Have him activate the BB.
    He can then remove the BB from his account.
    You give him the cheap phone to replace it.
    You activate the BB on your line.

Simple.
    09-22-09 06:59 PM
    Buy him a basic phone.
    Have him get the BB free.
    Have him activate the BB.
    He can then remove the BB from his account.
    You give him the cheap phone to replace it.
    You activate the BB on your line.

Simple.
    It is that simple - but then he pays full retail for that cheap phone. That often isn't so cheap.

He would end up paying a couple hundred bucks minimum - there are no BlackBerrys worth a couple hundred bucks.

09-22-09 08:23 PM
    What you do is have him buy the Tour get a Tour free. He has to activate both Tours to his new account. The next day go into Verizon with him and give him your Storm or any other older verizon phone. Activate the Storm or any other older verizon to his wifes number then activate the Tour to your number. No extra money swapping anything. Its that simple.
    09-22-09 11:47 PM
    Then wife gets a used BlackBerry or used dumbphone?

If she is going to have a BlackBerry, why give up a new one for an old one? If she is going to have a regular phone, again, why a used one instead of a new one?

Yes, it can be done - but not without screwing the guy who is paying for the new phones.

09-23-09 01:20 AM
    if you could get your hands on a dumb phone in good condition at a low cost you could buy it and swap your boss for the 2nd Tour.
    09-23-09 01:55 AM
    dang,this is confusing.lol
    09-23-09 02:01 AM
    dang,this is confusing.lol
    Agreed - still trying to figure out how all of these suggestions works out for the boss.

Either former boss gets new phone for himself & new phone for wife OR former boss gets new phone for him and his former employee, while wife gets a used phone.

Me thinx wifey wouldn't be too thrilled with the second arrangement.

Wife comes first. Its no wonder the divorce rate is so high.
    09-23-09 02:19 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions but those of you that recommend for him to get the two tours, activate them on his account, then move one to my account and give his wife a dumbphone, wouldn't he be tied to having 2 BB data plans for 2 years as well? I would assume that would be part of the contract he'd sign when activating both tours, since data plans are required with bb's, unless I would have to assume the rest of the contract he signed, which is probably what I'd have to do now that I'm thinking about it more.
    09-23-09 06:13 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions but those of you that recommend for him to get the two tours, activate them on his account, then move one to my account and give his wife a dumbphone, wouldn't he be tied to having 2 BB data plans for 2 years as well? I would assume that would be part of the contract he'd sign when activating both tours, since data plans are required with bb's, unless I would have to assume the rest of the contract he signed, which is probably what I'd have to do now that I'm thinking about it more.
    No, when he signs the conract for two years its just for the line not the phone that he purchase at the time, he can switch phones whenever he wants, so he is only required to have the BB data plan only when the BB is activated. hope this helps....
    Last edited by tuteblack; 09-23-09 at 07:32 AM.
    09-23-09 07:29 AM
    so does that mean once I transfer the tour to my account, there won't be a 2 year contract along with it?
    09-23-09 12:22 PM
    so does that mean once I transfer the tour to my account, there won't be a 2 year contract along with it?
    Thats correct.
    09-23-09 12:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD