Does anyone here live in an area with zero 3G service from ATT? Do you find it incredibly unfair that we have to pay the exact same data prices as our fellow BB users that have true 3G? I feel there should be discounts for those of us that live in areas completely barren of any hope of 3G.
    09-20-09 02:22 AM
    Data is data no matter if u are getting 3G or Edge. Giving people without 3g data a discount doesn't make any sense. Unlimited data is unlimited data no matter the speed u get.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-09 07:27 AM
    Data is data no matter if u are getting 3G or Edge. Giving people without 3g data a discount doesn't make any sense. Unlimited data is unlimited data no matter the speed u get.

I'd have to disagree. Following that line of thinking: I should pay the same price for a Chevy Cavalier as I would a Corvette no matter that the Vette is way faster since both cars are able to (eventually) get me to my destination. Also, home broadband providers have different speed tiers with differing prices. They don't charge the same price for their slowest and fastest tiers.

Last edited by Bluegrassman; 09-20-09 at 08:07 AM.
    09-20-09 08:05 AM
    I'd have to disagree. Following that line of thinking: I should pay the same price for a Chevy Cavalier as I would a Corvette no matter that the Vette is way faster since both cars are able to (eventually) get me to my destination. Also, home broadband providers have different speed tiers with differing prices. They don't charge the same price for their slowest and fastest tiers.

You're comparing apples to oranges. If what u say is true then we should all pay $10 for data just like u would for a regular phone. The price u pay for data on a BB includes access to RIM's servers. If u look at everything u get for $30, it's not that bad of a deal. But I do agree it could be a bit cheaper. IMO

09-20-09 12:20 PM
    I have no 3g at work, but everywhere else yes. For me it is like going to work and having dial up internet on my BB. Leaving work and then having a cable plugged into it. I understand that we all pay for the system. But I can see the frustration if you don't have 3g at all paying the same price. All I can hope is that AT&T stays true to updating the towers soon!
    09-20-09 01:19 PM
    You're comparing apples to oranges. If what u say is true then we should all pay $10 for data just like u would for a regular phone. The price u pay for data on a BB includes access to RIM's servers. If u look at everything u get for $30, it's not that bad of a deal. But I do agree it could be a bit cheaper. IMO

Thanks for agreeing it could be cheaper. But to clarify my position, let's take Blackberries and RIM completely out of the equation:

Say you and I both have dumb phones. We both have basic Data Unlimited for $15/month per line
    You live in a 3G blanketed area
    I live in an area with ZERO 3G. (Which I do) Why should I have to pay the same amount?

I'm not trying to be obstinate here, but I am surprised there are not more people that feel the same way.
    09-20-09 11:11 PM
    unlimited data is only limited by the speed you get it at. if you can download 3x what i can in a given month, then why am I paying the same price for data as you? How much extra would it be for them to tally up your total 3g vs 2g time every month?
    09-20-09 11:39 PM
    My area just got 3G a couple of weeks ago. I understand your question, I used to have customers ask me about that on a daily basis. I guess you get to enjoy living in a rural area without lots of people! People in rural areas also have little choice when it comes to internet at their home. Oftentimes they end up with hughesnet for like $100/month. It isn't fair that their internet is the same speed as mine and I pay $40/month, but thats the price you pay for living in a more remote area. I do feel your pain though, I enjoy my bold MUCH more now that we have 3G.
    09-21-09 10:24 PM
    My area just got 3G a couple of weeks ago. I understand your question, I used to have customers ask me about that on a daily basis. I guess you get to enjoy living in a rural area without lots of people! People in rural areas also have little choice when it comes to internet at their home. Oftentimes they end up with hughesnet for like $100/month. It isn't fair that their internet is the same speed as mine and I pay $40/month, but thats the price you pay for living in a more remote area. I do feel your pain though, I enjoy my bold MUCH more now that we have 3G.
    I live in W. KY. Thing is my area is not that rural. There is full 3G coverage in towns much smaller than mine. I have Comcast cable internet at my home. (indoor plumbin' too!) Verizon has full 3G coverage like crazy around here, yet ATT has decided to let our area wither on the vine.
    09-21-09 11:12 PM
    Have you checked to see if Verizon or Sprint has it there, they both have much larger 3G networks that AT&T

09-21-09 11:40 PM
    Bluegrass men when you pay the 30 for the data your paying for the data not the speeds. Even before 3G ppl were playing 29.99/30 for the blkbry data.
    09-22-09 04:01 PM

People in areas that have 3G cannot use 3G if their phone is not capable of 3G, (like my 8100 Pearl) and they pay the same amount. Its the access to data that is being charged, not what speed your phone can receive.

The carriers could also charge us based on how much data we use, but most of us are in unlimited plans. I guess they want it to be standard for pretty much all subscribers.
    09-24-09 06:33 PM
    People in areas that have 3G cannot use 3G if their phone is not capable of 3G, (like my 8100 Pearl) and they pay the same amount. Its the access to data that is being charged, not what speed your phone can receive.

The carriers could also charge us based on how much data we use, but most of us are in unlimited plans. I guess they want it to be standard for pretty much all subscribers.
    Ah, but in your example it is your fault that you do not have a 3G capable phone. In my case it is ATT's fault I do not have 3G service available.
    09-25-09 05:20 PM
    Ah, but in your example it is your fault that you do not have a 3G capable phone. In my case it is ATT's fault I do not have 3G service available.
    Well maybe he didn't want a 3G device, 3G depending on what you are using the phone for can kill they battery faster then 2G. Yes maybe it's AT&T "Fault" as you say be they don't have 3G in your area but also isn't it your "fault" for buying a 3G phone where there is no 3G. I have the 8900 thats 2G, i live in an area that 2G & work in a area thats 3G but i picked the device that's best for me.
    09-25-09 09:46 PM
    Well maybe he didn't want a 3G device, 3G depending on what you are using the phone for can kill they battery faster then 2G. Yes maybe it's AT&T "Fault" as you say be they don't have 3G in your area but also isn't it your "fault" for buying a 3G phone where there is no 3G. I have the 8900 thats 2G, i live in an area that 2G & work in a area thats 3G but i picked the device that's best for me.
    Yep. It's my fault for choosing a device that is 3G capable while living in a non 3G market. It's my fault for choosing the latest device that is also wi-fi capable. My fault for choosing a device capable
    of
    utilizing 3G service where available when travelling. And it's no doubt a huge mistake on my part to think I would hear anything other than blind allegiance to being overcharged and underserved from a bunch of sheep that have long since given up and forgotten the very notion of a "fair deal." Henceforth I'll be quite content to bow out of this debate and allow the ATT fanboys carry on in their smug feelings.

Last edited by Bluegrassman; 09-25-09 at 11:20 PM.
    09-25-09 11:17 PM
    Well, sure... but my next phone will be 3G. So I won't be paying more for the data then other peeps who still use Pearls.
    LOL
    09-26-09 12:42 AM
    I live in W. KY. Thing is my area is not that rural. There is full 3G coverage in towns much smaller than mine. I have Comcast cable internet at my home. (indoor plumbin' too!) Verizon has full 3G coverage like crazy around here, yet ATT has decided to let our area wither on the vine.
    Sounds like we are neighbors! I too feel your frustration. I think there are only 5 locations in our state that offer 3g. Im in the same boat as you, since Verizon has 3g and ATT does not. I prefer ATT however, I have been eying the competition.
    09-26-09 01:45 PM
    Sounds like we are neighbors! I too feel your frustration. I think there are only 5 locations in our state that offer 3g. Im in the same boat as you, since Verizon has 3g and ATT does not. I prefer ATT however, I have been eying the competition.
    I would prefer swapping to Verizon, but I stay with ATT because:
    1) My company is contracted with ATT
    2) Where I do 90% of my work, there is ZERO signal without a repeater (which my company has for ATT)
    3) Literally ALL of our friends and family and the majority of my contacts are on ATT. Basically making a lower minute plan practically unlimited
    4) Discount! (see item #1)
    09-27-09 10:40 AM
    Humm u sounds in my area in w ky I went to verizon love it!! But in w ky it was on. When ice storm hit and verizon gets better service to pin:30D90002.

09-27-09 10:48 AM
    Funny how everyone here is bashing bluegrass man that it is his fault for choosing the device he did when he does not have 3g coverage and that everyone is paying the same for data because we pay for data and not for speed and blah blah blah. Yet when those of us who have solid 3g coverage lose it, because of network problems and have to only run on 2g, we quickly flood the forums ******** and moaning about it. We pay for 3g and blah blah blah. Heck I am guilty of it too. I guess that if your not one of the few that are experiencing bluegrass man's frustrating situation, it is pretty easy to play devil's advocate to posts like his.
    Last edited by rizzzzoooo; 10-25-09 at 03:44 PM.
    09-27-09 11:05 AM
    Just my 2 cents, but I'm of the opinion that unlimited data is unlimited data. I even gave up my 3G to unlock a Storm. It does suck that not everyone lives in a good area, but you still get unlimited data. Besides, if you guys got a price difference, they would charge 40-50$ for 3g. They don't ever lower prices lol.

10-04-09 02:29 AM
    ditto! however when we do travel and get into a 3g area our bb/bold 9000 will reboot and then overheat!

10-04-09 09:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD