Hopefully this isn't re-post, but I just got off the phone with Rogers about thier new Home Calling Zone service starting on May 6.

- Cost 20.00/month
    - Ability to make free calls to anywhere in Canada whenever you're within range of your wifi router
    - They are offering 2 new phones. A nokia model (sorry I forgot to take down the model type) and the Curve 8320.
    - When you are on a GSM call outside your wifi signal and you enter your wifi zone, calls will NOT be switched over to the home zone.
    - If you're on a call in your home zone and you leave the area, calls WILL seamlessly switch to the GSM network and you will be billed from that point on.

Sounds pretty interesting. I know T-Mobile has been offering this for a while. Good to see Rogers staying on the "cutting edge".

ttyl

J
    04-25-08 09:31 AM
    Thank you for that update, we have been hearing rumors of Rogers introducing UMA service.

May 6 roll out would be great news. I am pleased to see they are considering the 8320 but it is a shame they will not be supporting 8120 or 8820. That would cover the whole range of customer demand.

Speaking for myself, that is the last impediment to full activation of my 'berry. I will buy into that plan.

I need UMA becasue of weak signal strength at home. I refuse to pay $10 Mb for data, UMA will solve that problem too, I could get along just fine on 2 Mb of network data.
    Last edited by Stoner; 04-25-08 at 09:45 AM.
    04-25-08 09:42 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you currently own an 8320, can't you use data via wifi currently? Or is it limited? My 8320 is on it's way. Should be here any day.
    04-25-08 09:52 AM
    I have unlimited Browser access while in my home or at a hotspot site.

No plan means nearly all third party apps are blocked, they all need a plan to initialize. Some may work through Wifi after that, but that is roadblock.

It also means I have no Phone service at all, and depend on hotspots for data. No problem, I have my favorites all stored away.

On the plus side, I can do anything I want with the device. I could even delete out Messenger service and all the support services to gain a lot of space for anything I please. If I brick it in the process, no sweat, getting back on line is not an issue so I can experiment to my hearts content. (tip: never try to copy cod files from a pearl build to a curve. )

If they insist on throwing in a complimentary 8320, in Red of course, the trusty old Gold becomes my backup. That also applies to bribing me with all kinds of introductory bonus stuff too.
    Last edited by Stoner; 04-25-08 at 12:28 PM.
    04-25-08 12:25 PM
    i just called in and checked. they said it's 8120 and not 8320. are you sure it's 8320?
    04-25-08 01:27 PM
    Well she did say 8320. I am positive because that's my phone that's on it's way. However, it would make more sense for them to offer the Pearl 8120 since it would probably appeal to a broader audience. The lady did say that she only got the training on the new service yesterday. Maybe she was confused?
    Last edited by harrisjr; 04-25-08 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Wrong model#
    04-25-08 08:36 PM
    ...that's my phone that's on it's way. ...
    Way to dispel the myth, if they are taking orders, it is on the way.

I sure hope you get a Curve, all the giggling kids in the commercial have Curves.
    04-25-08 08:43 PM
    My last post may have been confusing....I actually ordered the 8320 direct from RIM since Rogers doesn't offer that model here. I needed that Wifi!
    04-25-08 09:04 PM
    Rogers is not giving a straight answer. I already reported that a Rogers rep said it was launching with the 8120. I used to work for a dealer for Rogers and about 3 weeks ago, they received an email regarding demo 8820s for the corporate reps.
    04-25-08 10:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD