My trackball on my Tour is acting up ((Surprise Surprise). I called tech support and they said they can replace my phone, but if the one I send back passes all the diagnostics, i'll be charged $200. To avoid this I can go to a store and have it swapped out.

So I go to the store and they tell me that I need to go to a repair center. The repair center is about 15 minutes away, I have a job, and I have kids. The last thing I should be worrying about less than 60 days after paying $200 for a phone is going to a repair center on my free time.

I call Sprint back and they tell me i'm SOL unless I go to a repair center. I tell them cancel my account unless they send me a new phone. They say no problem will cancel your account. So I hang up on that ***** after 30 minutes of her trying to explain their dumb policies to me.

So I call tech support back and say sure send me a phone and i'll take the $200 chance. Then they tell me they can't ship me a phone because I live "so close to a repair center".

WTF is wrong with Sprint?

I have defended them for the 9+ years i've been with them. Now I see what people were talking about regarding their customer service. Usually Sprint has no problem taking care of me. Now they refuse to replace this phone unless I go waste my time at their repair center.
    09-17-09 08:51 PM
    I agree with you. Each of their reps say a different thing. I almost slapped a chick at the sprint store for yelling at me.
    09-17-09 08:55 PM
    I think if I have to go to a repair center for this phone, I will leave when I find a good deal elsewhere.

The fact they are willing to lose a customer with multiple lines, has paid on-time for over 9 years, and has extended his contract numerous times over a $200 phone blows my mind.
    09-17-09 08:59 PM
    I think if I have to go to a repair center for this phone, I will leave when I find a good deal elsewhere.

The fact they are willing to lose a customer with multiple lines, has paid on-time for over 9 years, and has extended his contract numerous times over a $200 phone blows my mind.
    Don't waste your time going to a repair center. they are programmed to say nothing is wrong with your phone.
    09-17-09 09:00 PM
    If your trackball is noticeably acting up, i think you should be fine, i had to have mine replaced, although it was within the 30 days, and the guy at the sprint repair center kept going on and on telling me how its a highly known issue. I'd think you would be fine though like i said, you shouldnt be charged the $200.

Good luck though, i hope it works out for you.
    09-17-09 10:08 PM
    Don't waste your time going to a repair center. they are programmed to say nothing is wrong with your phone.
    Not true. Indirect repair centers only get paid when they fix or replace a phone. So sending somebody out the door without doing anything will lead to an end of the business.

to the OP...i'd call tech support again, speak with a supervisor..tell them that you work during the repair center ours, replace your phone. I've never had back-to-back reps tell me No, using this exact same scenario. of course ymmv, but i'd try it. and to the $200, thing..i'm sure your phone..unless your phone has water damage, a cracked screen, broken housing, a physically damaged mainboard or a bent/broken charging port they will not charge you.
    09-18-09 01:44 AM
    You're only 15 minutes from a repair center? Heck I'm an hour and a half from a corporate store, which is where I had to go to swap my 8830WE for the 9630 when I received it in the first place.

Life is full of inconveniences. Consider yourself fortunate that this one is minor.
    09-18-09 01:48 AM
    10 yard penalty.

Seriously Sue, while I understand what you're saying, the point of any company should be to keep customers, not drive them away. And to him, it's not just 15 minutes, it's 15 minutes added onto the lack of help he already spent time getting!

Me, personally, if that were too happen, would just say okay, thank you, take down their name and employee number, and then ask to speak to a manager. IF that didn't work, then I'd happily spend my 15 minutes calling corporate and talking to someone on the C-level management about how poorly customer service is being run at there company, and that they're not only risking losing me as a customer, but me and everyone I associate with both in person and on the social web.

If it were me...

EDIT: There, their, they're....those always come out wrong when typing... :/

09-18-09 03:05 AM
    I didn't hesitate to drive the hour and a half to the corporate store to get things taken care of. If a service center was 15 minutes away I'd be grateful that I didn't have to hassle with phone calls from rep to rep.

Seriously, going to the service center, getting things squared away, and making it home would take all of what, 2 hours at most. Hassling with shipping and such takes days, even a week.
    09-18-09 03:16 AM
    My trackball on my Tour is acting up ((Surprise Surprise). I called tech support and they said they can replace my phone, but if the one I send back passes all the diagnostics, i'll be charged $200. To avoid this I can go to a store and have it swapped out.

So I go to the store and they tell me that I need to go to a repair center. The repair center is about 15 minutes away, I have a job, and I have kids. The last thing I should be worrying about less than 60 days after paying $200 for a phone is going to a repair center on my free time.

I call Sprint back and they tell me i'm SOL unless I go to a repair center. I tell them cancel my account unless they send me a new phone. They say no problem will cancel your account. So I hang up on that ***** after 30 minutes of her trying to explain their dumb policies to me.

So I call tech support back and say sure send me a phone and i'll take the $200 chance. Then they tell me they can't ship me a phone because I live "so close to a repair center".

I have defended them for the 9+ years i've been with them. Now I see what people were talking about regarding their customer service. Usually Sprint has no problem taking care of me. Now they refuse to replace this phone unless I go waste my time at their repair center.
    Verizon Wireless does factory replacement phones in store and any doesnt do that $200 thing when they send you a replacement... I wish they would as people do need to start handling phones like they handle the rest of their purchases in life such as cars etc...

There is a simple fix for this however it may also void your warranty...

Remove your battery put a small drop of Purrell hand sanatizer onto the track ball and rub and grind the heck out of the ball then use compressed air to dry it and then re-insert the battery... it may solve your problem... the reason why i say it may void your warranty is because on some blackberry phones there are water stickers inside the phone near the trackball... they almost always get wet anyways and verizon never looks at these so i cant tell you what to expect from sprint...

You have to realize that sprint pays 100s for that phone and most issues are not caused by rim or sprint... so because sprint is no longer a profitable company they cant just give customers replacement phones if there is a risk that it isnt covered under warranty. Too my knowledge the only current company that is willing to bleed out warranty replacements is verizon... they will typically overlook anything and in worse cast scenarios may charge a $50 out of warranty fee but only in an up front scenario.

These are things people need to think about when selecting a carrier!
    09-18-09 04:09 AM
    10 yard penalty.

Seriously Sue, while I understand what you're saying, the point of any company should be to keep customers, not drive them away. And to him, it's not just 15 minutes, it's 15 minutes added onto the lack of help he already spent time getting!

Me, personally, if that were too happen, would just say okay, thank you, take down their name and employee number, and then ask to speak to a manager. IF that didn't work, then I'd happily spend my 15 minutes calling corporate and talking to someone on the C-level management about how poorly customer service is being run at there company, and that they're not only risking losing me as a customer, but me and everyone I associate with both in person and on the social web.

If it were me...

EDIT: There, their, they're....those always come out wrong when typing... :/

Sprint FIRED a few customers a few years back it hit the newspapers sprint deemed the customers non profitable since they called into customer care too often... they know what is and isn't a profitable situation... and since they are not in a profitable situation they will safe guard the little money that they don't have left... its part of being in a dying company

In a "consumer-be-damned" move of epic proportions, wireless phone giant Sprint has informed more than 1,000 of its subscribers they are being disconnected for calling its customer service center too much.

A good move by sprint in my opinion but not a move any other carrier would make because its sends the message we will not loose money to our customers...
    09-18-09 04:19 AM
    which is why T-mobile needs to buy them out!
    09-18-09 06:06 AM
    to the OP...i'd call tech support again, speak with a supervisor..tell them that you work during the repair center ours, replace your phone. .
    I can't believe I didn't think of this.

I just called back and got a tech support rep that was extremely friendly. I explained the process and results I have already gone through. I then explained when I went to set up an appointment at the repair center, I realized all of the centers around me are only open during the same hours I work and it would require me to take a day off.

She then said no problem and had a new tour shipped out to me.

Thanks again for the idea.
    09-18-09 06:54 AM
    You're only 15 minutes from a repair center? Heck I'm an hour and a half from a corporate store, which is where I had to go to swap my 8830WE for the 9630 when I received it in the first place.

Life is full of inconveniences. Consider yourself fortunate that this one is minor.
    I could understand if this phone was 6 months or older. But less than 2 months is just ridiculous for the company to send me on a wild goose chase.

I have kids and a full time job. I have a long commute everyday too. So my only options are go to a repair center on my lunch break or go on the weekend. 30 minutes drive time and who knows how long at the repair center is not what I want to do with my spare time because of a new phone.
    09-18-09 06:59 AM
    Glad it worked out for you
    09-18-09 07:01 AM
    I could understand if this phone was 6 months or older. But less than 2 months is just ridiculous for the company to send me on a wild goose chase.

I have kids and a full time job. I have a long commute everyday too. So my only options are go to a repair center on my lunch break or go on the weekend. 30 minutes drive time and who knows how long at the repair center is not what I want to do with my spare time because of a new phone.
    Glad they're shipping you a new one. I'd say they're going above and beyond. I hope you showed the rep some gratitude.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-09 06:39 PM

First of all, you are obviously past the 30 day period and that puts you in Advanced Exchange land. This past week Sprint has majorly revamped that program.

No more calling in and getting tech support to mail you a phone because you say something is wrong with your phone. What the first person told you was correct, they will charge you if you return a phone that is not damaged. Why they ever replaced phones for a $4 trackball issue I'll never know. But back on topic.

You should have taken the phone to a repair store originally to begin with. That's policy, I'm sorry you were talking to an ***** the first time. If they didn't specify return store and give you a location, shame on them.

The part that made me laugh, was the 15 minutes free time job and kids. Yeah, so does everyone else. Blame the the thousands of idiots that kept calling in to have the phone replaced for basically non issues, and the idiots in tech support who use phone replacements to resolve an issue they are too lazy to figure out.

Also the tidal wave of customers being transferred to tech support and BB tech support for phone replacements cost Sprint a lot of money in man hours.

I haven't read the rest of this thread yet, but I'm here to tell you in case no one has:

Advanced Exchanges are now for customers who are
    a) disabled
    b) not within 25 miles of a REPAIR store

The job of repairing or replacing the phone is being put back on the repair store, where it should have been the entire time.

Maybe I'm just in a pissy mood today, maybe I'm just tired of customers demanding a new phone to replace a $4 plastic part that isn't Sprint's fault, but I find that you said you wanted to cancel and the rep was like "sure" to be

H I L A R I O U S

I would have told you the same thing. Also, when you keep hanging up and calling back, when you have been told the correct info, makes you look douchey.

09-18-09 07:44 PM
    LOL

lengthened
    09-18-09 07:52 PM
    Glad they're shipping you a new one. I'd say they're going above and beyond. I hope you showed the rep some gratitude.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Replacing a defective phone that is less than 60 days is not going 'above and beyond'.
    09-18-09 08:55 PM

I would have told you the same thing. Also, when you keep hanging up and calling back, when you have been told the correct info, makes you look douchey.

You think I honestly care how I look to Sprint CSRs? That is H I L A R I O U S

I pay them for a service. Part of that service includes handling issues with my account and my hardware. I don't care if its a $4 part or a $200 part. The $4 part is making the phone malfunction less than 60 days after I paid Sprint $200 for the phone and extended my contract for another year.

I can't imagine in my line of business to tell a customer if he has a problem with the product I provided them to drive it over to my office. That would put our company into bankruptcy. If our customer has a problem, we'll catch the next flight and fly across the country to meet with them face to face.

Now I don't expect Sprint to fly to my house. But I also don't expect to have to go waste my time at a repair center when I just paid them for the phone, I pay them (and have paid them for close to 10 years) every month, and they have me locked in for two more years. At least let me go to the local sprint store and swap it out.

And maybe next time they'll do a little QA/QC on the products they are paying their supplier to supply to their customer. So now this $4 part is causing them some headaches.
    09-18-09 09:04 PM
    Replacing a defective phone that is less than 60 days is not going 'above and beyond'.
    They disregarded the policy of going to a repair center, which would be more convenient for you to access than many other people, and mailed you a phone when policy stated that they didn't have to do so.

That's going above and beyond.
    09-18-09 09:08 PM
    If you're willing to drive to a local Sprint Store, why aren't you willing to drive to a local Sprint Repair Center? They can switch out a trackball in the time it takes to transfer your data and register the new device. Maybe even faster.
    Last edited by dchawk81; 09-18-09 at 09:21 PM.
    09-18-09 09:11 PM
    If you're willing to drive to a local Sprint Store, why aren't you willing to drive to a local Sprint Repair Center? They can switch out a trackball in the time it takes to transfer your data and register the new device. Maybe even faster.
    The Sprint Store is only 1 mile from my house. The repair center is 15 miles.

I was told on the phone after my first call to "Stop in a Sprint Store and they should swap it out for you". This was a Sprint tech support person. I didn't learn until I showed up at the store that I actually need to go to the repair center. At that point is when I was getting fed up with dealing with rejects.
    09-18-09 11:12 PM
    Ohhhh I see. To me, 15 miles is local and 1 mile is "next door."

I have a Sprint Store about 12 miles from my home but it's not a Corporate Store, which is why I had to drive the hour and a half. Corporate Stores can interface with HQ and do phone swaps whereas the smaller "regular" Sprint Stores can only do new activations. Why I have no idea but that's just how it is.
    09-18-09 11:14 PM
    They disregarded the policy of going to a repair center, which would be more convenient for you to access than many other people, and mailed you a phone when policy stated that they didn't have to do so.

That's going above and beyond.
    Changing policies after signing up customers is bad business.

And I reallly don't care what their policy is. Most CSRs know its good business sense to not make a person with a brand new phone waste their time trying to get it repaired.

It is pretty sad a lot of people are willing to just accept what Sprint tells you. Stand up for yourself once in a while and maybe you too won't be inconvenienced.
    09-18-09 11:15 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD