Ever since going to .191 and now to .230.....

I lost my BBM. Couldn't find it....I tried over and over, but nothing worked!

In the AppLoader screen, it wouldn't let me "tick" or "untick" the BBM 4.7 applciation! The default action was "none." even thought it said "none", I kept hoping that every time I tried to reinstall the OS, the BBM would come back....but never!!!!

Here is where I think the problem lay.....I was running BBM 5.0, like many of us, on a previous 4.7 Hybrid OS.

As we found out on these latest 5.0 leaks, BBM doesn't play with them!

HERE'S THE SOLUTION!!!

with your storm attached to your PC, open up the BB desktop manager.
    Click on Application Loader.
    Click on Add/Remove Applications.
    Scroll down and find the App BlackBerry Messenger 5.0.
    Highlight it.
    When you highlight it, the "Delete" box should then be allowed to be clicked.
    Click "Delete"
    then, go and choose or not choose any apps you want to Add/Remove, etc.
    Once ready, click "next."
    Finish out the Add/Remove Apps process.

Once that is completed, (i can't remember if the phone needs to reboot or not. sorrry.) You are going to need to reload your OS. Don't worry, it;s a quickie!

Close out the Desktop Manager once everything is done from the previous process.

Go into My Computer and navigate to the AppLoader within the Blackberry OS files. It is probably at an address like this:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
    Launch the "Loader."
    As the Loader goes through its process, you'll eventually get to the screen where you can choose what parts of the OS you want loaded onto your phone.
    If you have already loaded a leaked OS, this is old hat for you.
    Well.....here's the WINNER! you now should be able to select the check box next to "BlackBerry Messenger." it should be the 4.7 messenger that came with the OS .191 or .230!! When you tick the box, it should change the action to "install" !!!
    proceed to finish the instal process.....probably hit "next." I forget that too. lol.
    anyway, this should get BBM 4.7 installed on your Storm!!! once the phone reboots, you should have it!!

I hope this helps you out. I know I was super frustrated with this for days!!

Get to it!

Andrew
    Last edited by TurboCam; 09-17-09 at 10:21 PM.
    09-17-09 05:26 PM
    Thanks for the useful info, too bad I'm sure we will still see people coming from a 4.7 build saying that they read BBM 4.7 worked and they selected it but it isn't showing up.....
    09-17-09 05:27 PM
    Nice write up, that is what your needed to do to get BBM back to the phone. Also to have AIM you need to check the box in the AppLoader for the AIM to work. If you dont check that box AIM will not work.
    09-17-09 05:29 PM

In the AppLoader screen, it wouldn't let me "tick" or "untick" the BBM 4.7 applciation! The default action was "none." even thought it said "none", I kept hoping that every time I tried to reinstall the OS, the BBM would come back....but never!!!!

Here is where I think the problem lay.....I was running BBM 5.0, like many of us, on a previous 4.7 Hybrid OS.

HERE'S THE SOLUTION!!!

Highlight it.
    Click "Delete"

Once that is completed, (i can't remember if the phone needs to reboot or not. sorrry.) You are going to need to reload your OS. Don't worry, it;s a quickie!

Close out the Desktop Manager once everything is done from the previous process.

Go into My Computer and navigate to the AppLoader within the Blackberry OS files. It is probably at an address like this:
    Launch the "Loader."
    As the Loader goes through its process, you'll eventually get to the screen where you can choose what parts of the OS you want loaded onto your phone.
    Well.....here's the WINNER! you now should be able to select the check box next to "BlackBerry Messenger." it should be the 4.7 messenger that came with the OS .191 or .230!! When you tick the box, it should change the action to "install" !!!
    proceed to finish the instal process.....probably hit "next." I forget that too. lol.
    anyway, this should get BBM 4.7 installed on your Storm!!! once the phone reboots, you should have it!!

Get to it!

Andrew
    excellent instructions...I too thought I was crazy!!
    09-17-09 06:32 PM
    excellent instructions...I too thought I was crazy!!
    Id say something as to why you would post a huge quote for a simple one line of text, but Im sure Patches would like to say it first, lol.
    09-17-09 06:33 PM
    Nice write up, that is what your needed to do to get BBM back to the phone. Also to have AIM you need to check the box in the AppLoader for the AIM to work. If you dont check that box AIM will not work.
    Few more posts FM Suby:
    09-17-09 06:41 PM
    THANK YOU!

I just had this problem on .230 and this fixed it.

I think the thread title should be edited to stand out better....

I suggest: HOW TO INSTALL BLACKBERRY MESSENGER ON 5.0 FIX!!!!
    09-17-09 08:01 PM
    This didn't work for me. I couldn't even delete bbm 5 from dm, it keeps on coming back.
    09-17-09 08:17 PM
    I changed the title to make it clearer.....as was suggested.

also, I don't know what to tell you BloodBath. I tried to days to get my BBM back. I don't know how many times I reinstalled .191. I was just playing around with the Desktop Manager today at work and I spotted BBM 5.0 on my apps list...even though it wasn't on my phone anymore.

Bloodbath....can you tell us more about your setup....so we can help.
    09-17-09 10:25 PM
    when i go to dm to delete blackberry messenger there is no bbm listed under applications
    09-17-09 11:11 PM
    I got no bbm installed on my phone right now and whether I use apploader or dm I couldn't delete bbm 5 no matter what I do.
    Edit:
    I also couldn't find bbm 4.7 anywhere I reinstalled .191 and .230 but still 4.7 wouldn't show up.
    09-17-09 11:25 PM
    I got no bbm installed on my phone right now and whether I use apploader or dm I couldn't delete bbm 5 no matter what I do.
    Edit:
    I also couldn't find bbm 4.7 anywhere I reinstalled .191 and .230 but still 4.7 wouldn't show up.
    BBM 4.7 should be in the install folder of .191. Im guessing you removed BBM5 from your phone, and rebooted it, then plugged your phone into your computer and loaded up loader.exe. You should be able to select BBM 4.7 from there. You may see two BBM, just click on the one near the top of the list.
    09-17-09 11:41 PM
    Nope it aint there. I reinstalled .191 several times and it's just not showing up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-09 12:47 AM
    Thanks, and now you're next task is to find us a way to load BBM 5.0 onto .230 and then report back to us
    09-18-09 12:49 AM
    When I loaded .230 up all I did was check 4.7 and it said downgrade and it did. Everything went through fine and I didn't have to change anything. I have it on my phone without having to do anything else.

BTW .230 is freaking aweeeeesssommmeee!!
    09-18-09 12:50 AM
    another idea...downgrade to an os with bbm 4.7 then upgrade to .230 coming from 4.7 bbm not 5.0 bbm. seems like dm and app loader cache your software versions somehow i did this back when .191 was first leaked because i had the same problem missing bbm. btw typing this from the virtual keyboard in opera mini 5. love it!

09-18-09 01:08 AM
    another idea...downgrade to an os with bbm 4.7 then upgrade to .230 coming from 4.7 bbm not 5.0 bbm. seems like dm and app loader cache your software versions somehow i did this back when .191 was first leaked because i had the same problem missing bbm. btw typing this from the virtual keyboard in opera mini 5. love it!

Doesn't every OS have 4.7 BBM?
    09-18-09 01:26 AM
    I followed the instructions to remove the BBM 5.0 and it says it is deleting it. However after I reboot my phone (3 times) it was still there. When going to uploader I would get the "downgrade" option on the tick box.
    I finally fixed it this way:
    I went to applications list on the phone and selected "add ons" it then showed BBM 5.0 was installed and I just clicked on DELETE.
    I rebooted the phone and then went to uploader and now I had the 'none' and 'install' option next to BlackBerry Messenger near the top. (it is 4.7..you can see that when you click on DETAILS) I clicked install, and when the phone restarted, voila!

I had .140 for a while and didn't upgrade to .191 because I didn't want to lose BBM 5.0 and the camera but now mostly everything else works on .230 including Windows Live Messenger and I don't have to use instango for that. Flick scrolling and threaded sms more than makes up for not having BBM 5.0
    09-18-09 04:42 AM
    Nope it aint there. I reinstalled .191 several times and it's just not showing up.

if you have BBM5.0 anywhere on your computer 4.7 will not show up...I had to delete my pin backup folder I had saved and when I did that 4.7 showed in apploader and I could select it...good luck!!
    09-18-09 07:31 AM
    It is wierd how things are saved deep in the phone or or your PC. I wiped my phone and was tying to perform a clean install....no added app, etc. the Loader would find all my apps.....even ones I thought I had gotten rid of long ago!
    09-18-09 08:21 AM
    for those of you who are having trouble......you may have to dig deeper than what I put in my write up.

the instructions I wrote are exactly what I did to get it working on my phone. If you have BBM 5.0 anywhere on your PC, it will be found by the loader! you have to get rid of bbm 5.0...otherwise, it won't allow any actions for BBm 4.7.

Like I said, once I got rid of bbm 5.0 ...it finally allowed me to install bbm 4.7 from the loader app.

BTW....when using the AppLoader on Desktop Manager to delete BBM 5.0, make sure you go through all the actions! you can't just click "delete." you need to go through and use the App Loader on DM to thoroughly delete it. just clicking "delete" doesn't delete it. you are only selecting it to be deleted. you need to click "next" and whatever else in the AppLoader to execute the deletion process.
    09-18-09 08:28 AM
    i followed instructions to the letter, and it did load the BBM however I get no replies from any of my contacts, everything remains as contacts are pending.
    09-19-09 07:34 PM

HERE'S THE SOLUTION!!!

Highlight it.
    Click "Delete"

Launch the "Loader."

Get to it!

Andrew
    You are the MAN!!!!!! Thanks!

I do need to add that I had no contacts after this. I had done a Backup using BB DM for Mac. I did a restore from that Backup of my BlackBerry Messenger item and it restored my contacts. I have to see if they actually work.
    Last edited by Ravenell; 10-04-09 at 07:31 AM.
    10-04-09 07:23 AM
    You know you can just use the OTA from your phone. It is much easier. Just delete BBM 5 from your phone and click on this link and you're done.
    10-04-09 10:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD