I've seen videos of people running leaked OS's on their storms, and some had an app for flick-scrolling, similar to the iPhone.

Are those apps stable, and if so, can anyone name one that they use? In the description of one video I saw, the uploader mentioned something about him running .187, and someone posted on the forum that VZW would be releasing it with .212. In all of Sal's videos, and the podcast by crackberry they mentioned that the phone was running on a very old OS.

My question is, were those builds, like version .187, or any version of the OS with flick-scrolling developed by RIM entirely, or were they altered by other people, and will .212 include flick-scrolling natively, or will an app have to be used to achieve this?

Thank you!

EDIT:
    Also, will the piezo technology make this easier, or harder to accomplish on the odin?
    Last edited by per se; 09-17-09 at 01:25 PM.
    09-17-09 01:19 PM
    Oh yah it will have flick scrolling natively for sure...if the first Storm is going to have flick scrolling built into the OS, you can guarantee that the Storm 2 is going to have it
    09-17-09 01:27 PM
    A fair question, what took Rim so long?
    09-17-09 01:28 PM
    Frick man I dont know...maybe RIM thought that people would be satisfied with the way their OS was when they first released it haha...pushing the whole "we are bringing something to the table so we dont need to be like other companies (ie Apple) and make our OS like theirs"....guess it might have worked looking at how "successful" the Storm was (meaning that lots were sold, regardless of how many were returned)
    09-17-09 01:34 PM
    Oh yah it will have flick scrolling natively for sure...if the first Storm is going to have flick scrolling built into the OS, you can guarantee that the Storm 2 is going to have it
    Oh ok, I wasn't aware of that, dragging and scrolling gets really annoying, and once the flick scrolling isn't too sensitive it would be great. Thanks!
    09-17-09 02:17 PM
    Oh ok, I wasn't aware of that, dragging and scrolling gets really annoying, and once the flick scrolling isn't too sensitive it would be great. Thanks!
    IMO they did it pretty quick. Only a year later after the first true consumer geared device are we getting a whole new platform with "flashier" capabilities. That's like asking why apple took so long to give mms. If we got everything we wanted all at once, where would the fun in life be?
    09-17-09 03:27 PM
    RIM (and other cell phone manufacturers for that matter) really should have taken the same approach as companies like Microsoft did with their X-Box 360

The X-Box 360 had pretty much everything you could want in a gaming console when it first launched, so that all Microsoft had to do was keep improving it with NEW and INNOVATIVE features/accessories to keep their product fresh

So basically the cell phone manufacturers SHOULD be giving us everything we want all at once (ie Apple giving us MMS on the iPhone and RIM giving us an intuitive/stable OS for the Storm) so they can keep updating their product with NEW & INNOVATING features, and also be proud of the fact that they have released a product that is a head of their time and that they dont have to change very much and update with OLD features that have already been out in other phones for months or even years
    09-17-09 04:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD