Excuse my noobness, I did a search and there is quite a bit of info, but nothing I saw as being concrete....

anywho, I called Verizon the other day about possibly swapping my Tour. I m having the usual problems, which the tech ran thru with me..

He said they are no longer swapping for battery doors or creaking of the 'earpiece' plastic. They admit it was a defect but will not swap for it.

I explained the issues im having (barely useable bluetooth operation, inconsistent trackball, need to set fairly high to get good usage but then it skips all over..)

screen ripple,
    if im using the phone to type an email or browse, and a call comes in, sometimes it will disconnect the call when i hit answer.. only happens once a week or so...

I think thats it. the tech said a wipe would fix all of that (except the cosmetic issues that they wont swap for)...

I havent done the wipe yet (so no yelling at me to try and see lol) as im having issues getting the desktop manager set up on this comp...

sorry for the long post, just looking for some guidance if someone has gone through this.

thanks!

also, I asked the tech what the point in having a warranty for the phone, and paying the additional $7 (I think) a month for the extended 'warranty', is, and he really couldnt answer me..
    09-16-09 11:37 PM
    I don't see a wipe fixing that screep ripple. I've heard the explanation that since the LCD is in the phone so tightly, that causes that ripple in the corners and such. I don't forsee a new Tour fixing that.

I know my trackball was being super sticky the other day with OS 5.0. I've seen certain themes cause some havoc on my phone too.

Are you within your 30 days? If so, you could stop in store and see what they can do for you. If not, you could still talk to the store and they could possibly have a Certified Like New replacement sent for you.
    09-16-09 11:55 PM
    I don't see a wipe fixing that screep ripple. I've heard the explanation that since the LCD is in the phone so tightly, that causes that ripple in the corners and such. I don't forsee a new Tour fixing that.

I know my trackball was being super sticky the other day with OS 5.0. I've seen certain themes cause some havoc on my phone too.

Are you within your 30 days? If so, you could stop in store and see what they can do for you. If not, you could still talk to the store and they could possibly have a Certified Like New replacement sent for you.
    unfortunately for me, im over 30 days. I purchased it the opening weekend and dealt with the quirkiness til now, since its progressively gotten worse..

Worst case, I'll just pay the early termination and sell it on craigslist..
    09-17-09 12:00 AM
    Its under warranty; I'd go into the store you purchased it at and have them exchange it under the warranty. You can always call into CS/tech support and get someone else and re-explain the issue and how its getting progressively worse.
    09-17-09 12:04 AM
    I had my trackball issue addressed at a local Sprint Corporate store 15 days over my 30day mark and was given a new Tour with no hassles. Give it a try. Also I did a wipe on my Tour after downgrading from 5.0 OS and now all my factory games, BB Maps, etc. is GONE! Lol.
    09-17-09 12:32 AM
    ...I havent done the wipe yet (so no yelling at me to try and see lol) as im having issues getting the desktop manager set up on this comp...
    Several CDs were noted as being defective. If you think that may be your case, you can download the DM and the owners manual from the BlackBerry website.
    09-17-09 02:08 AM
    A wipe and reinstallation of the handheld OS will help with some of the quirkiness though. If vzw is going to screw you, screw them. That's rediculous.

Anyways, if you do wipe go to bbhybrids and grab the irtehun download hybrid v5.2. Install the official os then install the hybrid. A program called shrink a os will pop up and let's you remove programs and things you don't use amd then click loader.exe. And your phoine will almost be better than new, outside the creeks, batterydoor, ripple, and tracball. These other issues are fixable. Just need some old fashioned ingenuity. And some good searching skills.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-09 05:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD