I thought I was told at some point that AT&T would let you get an iphone pretty much any time you wanted to - you just maybe had to pay an early upgrade fee, plus you might not get the phone as "cheap" as you would if you were legitimately eligible for an upgrade, and then of course you were locked into a two year contract, including data plan. Is that true? For example, I'm not eligible for an upgrade until February of 2010, but can I go ahead and get an iphone and just pay the early upgrade fee? They let my mother-in-law get one before she was eligible for an upgrade, but it was just about three weeks early, not five months! LOL

Thanks in advance for the answers!!
    09-15-09 07:51 AM
    I have heard of this, but the pricing for this option makes it almost seem smarter to get one from someone like on a forum or something. I know my girlfriend tried and it was going to cost her like $500 to early upgrade to the new iphone.
    09-15-09 07:56 AM
    I just checked my options, as I have a few more months to go yet. With an $18 early upgrade fee I can get a 3G 8gb for $299, 3GS 16gb for $399, and a 3gS 32gb for $499.

Maybe if you call and complain enough about your current phone, you can talk them into it. I've heard of this happening before.

You'll probably want to look elsewhere if you really want one. I found my Storm on eBay for $200 and you can probably get a 3G around that price if you shop carefully. Then, if you like it, get a 3GS with your discount when you're eligible. There are threads around here telling you how to get the data working with a BB plan.
    Last edited by bish0p34; 09-15-09 at 03:00 PM.
    09-15-09 02:56 PM
    Maybe if you call and complain enough about your current phone, you can talk them into it. I've heard of this happening before.
    It doesn't happen period. Not for iPhones and never will... actually, let me retract that statement -- never without getting terminated. Only eligible reasons to override can be done.
    09-15-09 06:55 PM
    To the OP, you can wait or pay the price to have it now -- only option for the iPhone. Want to try another device? BlackBerry included, maybe... iPhone, won't happen.
    09-15-09 06:56 PM
    I actually talked to a customer service rep, and they told me that I could have an iphone for a price of what bishop34 said - the 3G for $299, or the 3GS for $399, plus maybe having to pay a $75 dollar early upgrade fee. Is that the full retail pricing of the phone? Or is that still a little discounted? Obviously paying the $75 runs the price back up, but if that's still cheaper than buying it outright, I think it's a good deal.
    09-16-09 11:59 AM
    Full retail runs about $500-700 I think, depending on the model.
    09-16-09 03:16 PM
    Early upgrade for anyone goes as follows:

16GB - $399
    32GB - $499

This includes making a new two-year contract from date of purchase.

Already eligible for an upgrade period:

16GB - $199
    32GB - $299

This includes making a new two-year contract from date of purchase.

Paying full retail I don't believe extends your contract. I'm not sure if they
    will even sell it to you full retail.
    09-16-09 05:12 PM
    I cant wait till they drop prices on the 3GS, I bet you its right around the corner...
    09-24-09 01:53 AM
    Forever29's post is accurate.

I paid $399. for a 16g 3GS with an early upgrade.
    I also paid $18. for the upgrade fee.
    I asked if she could waive that, she said no lol
    I was not eligible for the full upgrade pricing until March 2010.
    09-26-09 03:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD