I have posted a few times about my switch from Alltel to Verizon. I did so so that my wife could get a BB (curve) and I upgraded from an Alltel Curve to a VZW Tour. In doing so, I noticed a huge difference in signal strength, call quality, a lot of dropped calls and a constant signal flux and switch between 1XEV and 1X. When I had my Alltel, I never lost/dropped a call and did not even know what 1X was. I would have to assume that I live in an area with a stronger Alltel tower presence.

Over the course of 30 days, I was told nearly every thing under the sun as an explanation. I had one hybrid prl (65036) pushed to my phone three different times and each time it made it worse. I was told twice they were gonna push my old Alltel prl (40052) to my phone and this never happened at all. Finally I guess I called Tech Support so many times they ended up calling the guy who manages the Verizon Store where I got my phones and he in turn called me. I told him my problem and he said he would take a look at it. Well this morning I woke up to find another and different hybrid prl (65048) had been pushed to my phone and what do you know, but it works like a champ.

Before today, if I was at home the signal constantly bounced from 0 to 5 bars and was usually showing 1X, but would change back and forth to 1XEV depending on what side of my house I was standing. Just a mile or so away from my house, which is out in the country, I had little to no service at all.

Since getting this prl, consistent four or five bars even driving in areas where yesterday I did not have a signal at all. I even called the guy at the Verizon store to thank him from one of the "dead zones" and had four bars. I also have not seen 1X AT ALL no matter where I go or what I do, and I would have seen it by now.

Anyway, Im not trying to beat the Verizon drum or to be a "fanboy" (not even really sure what a fanboy is ) but after 37 days, I have a phone that works like it should and I am one happy customer.

I do have a question though, with the talk of the new official .42 OS maybe coming out soon, if I upgrade to this, will it reprogram my phone and put the old VZW prl (51540) back in? Because if thats the case, Im not gonna do it
    09-12-09 01:50 PM
    I've been dealing with everything you have said since March of this year. I've talked to everyone under the sun at VZW and have just given up. I wonder if I called VZW tech. and gave them your PRL if it would fix my problems???
    09-12-09 02:45 PM
    Called VZW tech support and was told since I had an Alltel branded phone they couldn't push a hybrid PRL to it.
    09-12-09 04:59 PM
    Uhhh should be able to

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-09 06:00 PM
    Honestly I've heard of being it done but I don't think outsouce can do it. I wouldn't know how anyway.

09-12-09 10:11 PM
    Skia, for what its worth, my wife has a curve and they pushed a hybrid prl (65049) to her as well (mine is 65048 on a tour) and it made her phone signal 100 times better as well.
    09-12-09 11:48 PM
    i had never heard of prl's before this, can you tell me where you'd find what prl is working on your phone and how one could change that, aside apparently from tech support?
    09-12-09 11:59 PM
    i had never heard of prl's before this, can you tell me where you'd find what prl is working on your phone and how one could change that, aside apparently from tech support?
    Dial #HELP*

PRL version should be listed.

*228 Opt 2 updates it on VZW. GSM doesn't use a PRL.

09-13-09 01:45 AM
    Im kinda new to this but my understanding is that a prl (preferred roaming list) basically tells your phone which towers to talk to and controls the order in which they do, it also has something to do with roaming on other carriers towers and their agreements. I think I explained this right, if I didnt, please someone correct me.

I live in what was a very strong Alltel market and when I switched carriers to verizon my signal suffered because my phone (the prl) was forced to prefer to the verizon towers when much closer and stronger alltel towers were present. This "hybrid" prl (which is 65048) now makes my phone prefer the alltel towers which has completely corrected my signal issues and now my VZW tour works as well signal wise as my former Alltel Curve.

I think this solution works for me because I live in a rural area that had great Alltel coverage and is not well serviced by VZW, at least not yet. I also understand that if you live in a strong VZW area, this will not make any improvements and in fact will probably make it worse. I also think they were able to do this for me because they said Im an "legacy Alltel" customer.

To check your prl dial #4357* and hit send. Scroll down and you can find your prl. I may be wrong but I think I read somewhere that native Verizon prls are 51XXX, Alltel prls are 40XXX and the hybrids are 65XXX.
    09-13-09 10:04 AM
    I do have a question though, with the talk of the new official .42 OS maybe coming out soon, if I upgrade to this, will it reprogram my phone and put the old VZW prl (51540) back in? Because if thats the case, Im not gonna do it
    Updating your device operating system will not affect or overwrite your prl.
    09-13-09 01:00 PM
    Please remember once you have the Hybrid PRL in your phone, DO NOT do a *228 update. This will put you back to a 500 series PRL which is Verizon first then Alltel. The 600 series (Hybrid) uses Alltel towers first then goes to Verizon.

So if you update your OS your PRL should not change as long as you don't do a *228.

This is true for all phone BTW once you have the hybrid (if you need it in your area) updating will revert you back.

OUT !
    09-23-09 10:52 AM
    got this hybrid today(65048) and my signal strength is the same, but i'm no longer bouncing between 1X and 1XEV
    09-23-09 11:31 AM
    Is there anywhere one could find out what PRL would be the best in their area, without calling Customer Svc. and bugging them?
    09-23-09 01:48 PM
    Not really. Stores might have access to the prl listing, but generally the most recent prl/hybrid is going to be the best one.

09-23-09 02:39 PM
    Uhhh should be able to

Alltel handsets do not need the Hybrid PRL. The Hybrid is for VZW handsets only and is to help coverage where customers once had great Alltel service in overlap markets but now do not since they have a VZW PRL.
    09-23-09 04:05 PM
    However a lot of hybrid prl users I get are all-fricken-tel. I HATE those calls.

09-23-09 04:33 PM
    However a lot of hybrid prl users I get are all-fricken-tel. I HATE those calls.

Haha... you should take those calls all the time like some of us do! haha

Hybrid PRL will mostly apply to former Alltel customers getting VZW devices. The ones who's service has been jacked up since this conversion began.
    09-23-09 04:36 PM
    2009 may go down as a year VZW will want to quickly forget because it is the year of crappy service, crappy BOGOs & crappy regulations!taxes.

09-23-09 04:56 PM
    2009 may go down as a year VZW will want to quickly forget because it is the year of crappy service, crappy BOGOs & crappy regulations!taxes.

+1 Storms are pretty much free! BOGO every other week. Tour Trackball issue's, etc.........

It's been a rough year for them!
    09-23-09 05:15 PM
    It happens. We're not the only ones who had Tour issues.

09-23-09 06:44 PM
    Since my update of the os 5.0.230 my prl shows 0 . Anything I can do about that or is there anything that needs to be done?
    09-28-09 09:24 AM
    Mine did the same thing. Just dial *228 select option 2. Should display after that.

09-28-09 09:28 AM
    Okay, so how do you get a hybrid PRL? My signal is so weak where I live!
    05-23-10 05:57 AM
    Okay, so how do you get a hybrid PRL? My signal is so weak where I live!
    From my experience, you'll need to start by calling CS from your land line. If it Is determined that a hybrid PRL can help, it can be pushed to your phone almost instantly...if you get a good tech.

05-23-10 07:53 AM
    Thanks! Will give it a try!
    05-23-10 11:51 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD