My name is Chris and this is my review on the Otterbox defender case for the Blackberry storm
    I work as a Bricklayer and in the past i have never been able to find a case that would protect my phone from dust, moisture, dirt and all the other elements of working outside in Canada.
    I had heard of the Otterbox before but i could never justify (call me cheap) paying over $60.00 for a phone case!
    Was i ever wrong!

Initial Impressions

[IMG][/IMG]

Having had an Otterbox on my Bold for the past while, i kind of knew what to expect but i was a little woried abot the plastic screen cover and the performance of the touch screen.
    Right from the minute i put it on that fear was put to rest.
    The case comes with 4 pieces, a hard shell that comes in 2 pieces that slide together as opposed to just snapping together( i personally like this design better than that of my bold) and the top peice has a built in screen guard built right into the case( as opposed to the seperate plastic film that you wrapped on your phone with other models, and again i personally feel more secure with this method), a rubber skin that wraps around the hard shell to absorb shocks, and a nice sturdy ratcheting belt clip

First you place your storm into the bottom half of the hard shell, then you slide the top half into place

After you have it snapped into place you wrap the silicone skin around the hard shell making sure to align the holes in the skin with the appropriate holders on the shell
    There are 2 acces ports one on each side of the phone.
    The left side has 1 for the charging andusb port

The second on the right is for your heaphone jack

Both access ports are easily opened/closed and secure

They have done a great job incorporating all the other buttons on the storm as well, the volume up/down, the lock and mute keys on top as well as the convenience keys on either side of the phone and they all work and respond flawlessly within the case.

The hard case has three openings in it, 1 is for the ear piece, 1 is for the mic, and 1 on the back for the output speaker. All are covered with a thin filter in order to keep dirt and dust out while allowing sound to flow in and out of the device.They also have a small plastic covered opening to let you use the LCD indicator (Trusty old blinky)
    I have had no problems to date hearing while on a call, hearing the ringer, or being heard when on a call. The sound travels great out of the case which is a BIG plus.

The touch screen which i was worried would be less responsive performs really well! The send, end, menu and return key work great as well with no issues. The only issues is to do a battery pull or change the memory card will take a little more time, but installing quickpull has been sufficient to me and i rarely change my sd card.
    Some might not like the way it looks but to me and everyone i show it to think it looks very manly!

The custom holster it comes with has a built in sleeper magnet for all of your in holster settings and when on your hip the phone is facing your body which is an added bit of protection agains bumps.
    The holster has a ratcheting belt clip that swivels 360 degrees and is great for when you sit down and dont want the phone digging into your side.
    When in the holster it is very secure as it snaps int grooves built inside the holster for a firm yet esy to take out fit. you will have no worries of the phone accidently dropping out ( like my pearl did a few years back from 85 ft! may it RIP)

Once you have your phone in the Otterbox you feel like you could throw it at a wall or drive over it with your truck( I am not liable if you do nor do i reccomend it)They say it is not waterproof but i know first hand that it will take the odd raindrop and is great if you have wet fingers

In conclusion, this is an excellent option if you need supreme protection for your storm and are willing to part with the cash, but it does add bulk to your phone so it wont appeal to every1.
    I would rate this case a 10/10 for my needs and would highly reccomend it to anyone who works in the elements to the accident prone.

pros
    excellent protection
    excellent usability of all features
    great piece of mind not having to worry about dirt, drops and bumps

cons
    expensive
    adds bulk to the phone
    hides the beauty of your phone

The Otterbox defender for the storm can be puchased in the Crackberry Store https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=Cbr8L0zM

Or direct We've Got Technology Covered // OtterBox.com

In Canda where i live you can pick them up at some accesorie stores and kiosks but they are not easy to come by.

This has been my first review ever here and i thank you for reading!
    Make sure to leave your honest feedback on how you thought i did thnx
    Last edited by churchill6969; 09-11-09 at 04:09 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    09-11-09 11:25 AM
    great job! I just got mine and I hope its as good as you say. at first look i think it will be
    09-26-09 02:11 PM
    Nice review. I love my otterbox. The belt clip or holster is very portable too. I broke it countless times and I'm still able to out it together. They really went above and beyond with this case. I highly recommend this equipment to anyone if they dint mind a little bulky BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-09 02:46 PM
    Thanks for the feed back!
    Been almost a month with it and i couldnt be happier!
    Only drawback...
    A couple people have stopped and asked me where i got my Iphone case
    I just smile, tell them its a storm! and ask them whats an iphone!
    09-29-09 11:32 AM
    Does the otterbox fit over an extended life battery that sticks out a little bit
    10-15-09 08:49 PM
    Does the otterbox fit over an extended life battery that sticks out a little bit
    no it will not its made for the original battery and door
    10-21-09 11:24 AM
    Thanks for that review!Was thinking about getting the defender,but what sold me is when you told us the the defender had a sleeper magnet in the holster. That sealed the deal!Why isn't that on Otter's web site?
    11-24-09 06:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD