Just received my replacement Tour, do not hesitate to do the same.
    Stop messing around with tape on the back door, cleaning the trackball or God forbid taking it apart to put a piece of card board in there to get a decent trackball or waiting for a new OS to fix a hardware problem....as well as "tweeking" the trackball sensitivity to get it to work. Just stop.
    The VZW reps I spoke with said YES there is a problem, they and RIM have recognized and acknowledged that the Tours from July through mid August were faulty. They are replacing them regardless of when one bought theirs. The new versions have been changed the issues have been addressed. I know this because the new one I received yesterday works perfectly. My trackball issue was not horrible...or at least I thought. I just got used to the mediocre operation of the trackball, that was until I was using my wife's Curve and realized that I had been kidding myself.
    The new unit is night and day different from my original Tour. The trackball is so perfect I almost shed a tear every time I use it. Battery door does not jiggle and absolutely no screen ripple. No USB issues, headphone jack is fine, etc.....
    Folks, quit trying to fix something that is not your problem. Just call Verizon and get a new one, it takes one day (they ship overnight and it's all at no charge). You will be glad you did......and if you don't, than just spend all your time on the forum looking for "fixes" and complaining about your defective phone.
    09-10-09 09:18 AM
    quit trying to be a hero. you could have just posted in any and all the other trackball, battery door, and screen ripple threads. Please don't create a new thread just to create one. The mod's don't like it and neither do the users. Not flaming on you here, just friendly advice.
    09-10-09 09:32 AM
    quit trying to be a hero. you could have just posted in any and all the other trackball, battery door, and screen ripple threads. Please don't create a new thread just to create one. The mod's don't like it and neither do the users. Not flaming on you here, just friendly advice.
    Huh?Hero? You're kidding right? This is what you took time to type? My post was an honest response to all the issues that so many are facing. And the satisfaction I recieved by returning the defective unit and getting a new one.
    Hey here's a thought....if you didn't like my post, ignore it...loser, oh but not flaming you. Goof, you think your post provides more useful information than mine?? But yet you felt compelled to respond?? Man you must be a really small person in your world. So some "friendly" advice back at ya, your response was unnecessary, pointless and purely stage for you to try and prove that you are clever, not....get a life, it's losers like you that make forums contentious.
    09-10-09 10:27 AM

So anyways, I took note of this thoughtful post and decided to give it a whirl since I have all the same problems. I got the ol' 30 days speech... WTF Mates?!?

I give up...
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-10-09 at 11:52 AM. Reason: content moderation
    09-10-09 10:30 AM
    Huh?Hero? You're kidding right? This is what you took time to type? My post was an honest response to all the issues that so many are facing. And the satisfaction I recieved by returning the defective unit and getting a new one.
    Hey here's a thought....if you didn't like my post, ignore it...loser, oh but not flaming you. Goof, you think your post provides more useful information than mine?? But yet you felt compelled to respond?? Man you must be a really small person in your world. So some "friendly" advice back at ya, your response was unnecessary, pointless and purely stage for you to try and prove that you are clever, not....get a life, it's losers like you that make forums contentious.
    This is completely inappropriate, you are attacking him when he was just giving advice, and he is right. We already have tons of threads based on these things, you didn't need to create another. Now you are attacking a fellow forum member? Thats disrespectful. Sounds like you're the one who needs to grow up.
    09-10-09 10:32 AM

So anyways, I took note of this thoughtful post and decided to give it a whirl since I have all the same problems. I got the ol' 30 days speech... WTF Mates?!?

I give up...
    Thanks for the support.

I think I found the real issue here. I went back and took a look at a number of driphter's posts and responses.......I think I peed in his cornflakes or stepped on his weeny. He is a self appointed expert and smart ***. And for some reason a pusher of Hybrid OS's as if it's the answer to everything. Maybe me simply suggesting that people stop the frustration with a return was a slap to his "Forum Alpha Dog" mentality.
    But again, thanks. I was not trying to be a hero or contentious. just wanted to share my experience, observations and solution to all those out there frustrated with a defective phone.
    09-10-09 10:36 AM
    This is completely inappropriate, you are attacking him when he was just giving advice, and he is right. We already have tons of threads based on these things, you didn't need to create another. Now you are attacking a fellow forum member? Thats disrespectful. Sounds like you're the one who needs to grow up.
    Advice that starts with "quit trying to be a hero??" Sorry, doesn't fly. He's making an assumption on my motivation for my post that is incorrect.
    09-10-09 10:38 AM
    Advice that starts with "quit trying to be a hero??" Sorry, doesn't fly. He's making an assumption on my motivation for my post that is incorrect.
    Ill admit he went about it the wrong way, but your retaliation was a little over the top, with name calling. But I understand you wanted to share, and yes all things you mentioned are the most common problems with the Tour. But we all need to relax and try and get along. Just brush it off your shoulder. Calling him a small person, a loser, and to get a life isn't needed, whether he was in the wrong or not. Any Moderator/Admin will tell you this. But its all said and done. Glad to hear you are now happy with your Tour though. Doesn't it feel good to know you now wont have to worry about having a sub par device.
    09-10-09 10:42 AM
    my "defective" tour from july-august is perfect. maybe i'm missing something
    09-10-09 10:53 AM
    Mine is also manufactured July 14th, or 17th or something. No problems for me other then a SLIGHT jiggle to the door. But my extended battery and door cover is on the way so it doesnt matter.
    09-10-09 10:56 AM
    Same here.
    09-10-09 11:01 AM
    I have been meaing to get mine replaced just never found the time to actually do it. Well I just had to call Verizon for something else and tried to get it replaced. I was told that they were unaware of any problems and that I just have to wait for an update to be released.

Are you kidding me???? It was a big enough problem that RIM released a new version just to fix the problem. And an update won't do anything. And to think I even pay the extra 9 bucks a month for insurance + ext warranty. I am going to call back again this afternoon.
    09-10-09 11:02 AM
    Ill admit he went about it the wrong way, but your retaliation was a little over the top, with name calling. But I understand you wanted to share, and yes all things you mentioned are the most common problems with the Tour. But we all need to relax and try and get along. Just brush it off your shoulder. Calling him a small person, a loser, and to get a life isn't needed, whether he was in the wrong or not. Any Moderator/Admin will tell you this. But its all said and done. Glad to hear you are now happy with your Tour though. Doesn't it feel good to know you now wont have to worry about having a sub par device.
    I appreciate your response, thank you.
    And yes I am thrilled to have my issues resolved.
    You are clearly the voice of reason here, I let my emotions get the best of me.
    Have a great day!
    09-10-09 11:05 AM
    driphter was waaaaaaay out of line. He/she attacked the OP for no apparent reason. Comments like "quit trying to be a hero." are indeed harrassment and should be punishable by the mods.

Anyway...to the OP: Is Verizon's offer available for a limited time only? Or is it strictly based on the date your device was assembled and will it stand indefinitely?

If it's a full time offer, then I can definitely talk to my provider about matching this offer. If it's a temp offer, then my provider probably won't budge.
    09-10-09 11:05 AM
    I appreciate your response, thank you.
    And yes I am thrilled to have my issues resolved.
    You are clearly the voice of reason here, I let my emotions get the best of me.
    Have a great day!
    Well my "voice of reason" may have been somewhat misplaced. Ive read some of driphters other posts.....I understand your harsh words toward him now. haha. Oh well. You have a great day too. Once again, glad you got your Tour problems taken care of.
    09-10-09 11:07 AM
    driphter was waaaaaaay out of line. He/she attacked the OP for no apparent reason. Comments like "quit trying to be a hero." are indeed harrassment and should be punishable by the mods.

Anyway...to the OP: Is Verizon's offer available for a limited time only? Or is it strictly based on the date your device was assembled and will it stand indefinitely?

If it's a full time offer, then I can definitely talk to my provider about matching this offer. If it's a temp offer, then my provider probably won't budge.
    1 2 Many, I am surprised to hear some of the others have not received the same response and service that I have.
    I simply called their 800 number and explained that I had purchased a Tour the day they came out and that I have been battling an inconsistent trackball since day one. The gal, Samantha said the following:
    We as well as RIM have recognized that there is a problem with many of the Tour's that have been issued up until the latter part of August. She said that not all are defective but probably more are than not. She even shared with me her personal experience with her Tour and the trackball issues she faced. She then said it was my choice to have the unit replaced or not at no charge. She assured me that the "new" units have been re-worked and that all of the various issues that are known have been addresses. She did not mention at anytime that there was a "window" in which to return the unit nor did she make any reference to their 30 day policy. She kept insisting that my ultimate satisfaction with the product and the service was her goal. Understand, I am not a "RA RA" Verizon guy and this is exactly what transpired. I would guess that to some degree it makes some difference who you get? I know that's not right but then again, look how various people respond differently to one post here at the forum. Some thought that my original post was fine and some lost their minds.....go figure. I suggest that if you get resistance from one rep, call back. There are some really helpful people there....you just need to reach one.
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by BBSeattle; 09-10-09 at 11:40 AM.
    09-10-09 11:38 AM
    agreed^^^^^^^^
    09-10-09 11:41 AM
    OP Get back to us on how "perfect" your phone works in lets say 6-8 weeks. Also. Correct me if I'm wrong but iirc I read somewhere that these "green dot" tours were crumbling and started to act up after awhile?
    09-10-09 11:51 AM
    OP Get back to us on how "perfect" your phone works in lets say 6-8 weeks. Also. Correct me if I'm wrong but iirc I read somewhere that these "green dot" tours were crumbling and started to act up after awhile?
    Good point, will do.
    09-10-09 11:52 AM
    Do you mean crumblings as in litteraly falling apart and like the rubber coating pealing or just not working
    09-10-09 12:02 PM
    is the "correct" trackball supposed to have that "give" to it?

like where it depresses downwards a bit before you feel it hit something?

or should it be like the curve where its more "sturdy"

i have a replacement but have a feeling that they gave me a launch version at the VZW store

the trackball moves left to right all the way on 80 sensitivity but i kinda feel like it presses too far in, like its almost flush with the surrounding buttons
    09-10-09 12:06 PM
    is the "correct" trackball supposed to have that "give" to it?

like where it depresses downwards a bit before you feel it hit something?

or should it be like the curve where its more "sturdy"

i have a replacement but have a feeling that they gave me a launch version at the VZW store

the trackball moves left to right all the way on 80 sensitivity but i kinda feel like it presses too far in, like its almost flush with the surrounding buttons
    Hmmm.....that's a good question. never considered the relation of the trackball and it's position in the bezel.
    I have not sent my old one back so pulled it out and did a comparison.
    The new track ball appears to sit higher and there seems to be less "play" up, down and on the sides.....weird, wonder if they went with a slightly bigger trackball or reposition the cradle?? Hard to tell.
    I am not sure if anyone else had this issue but when pushing down on the old trackball to select it would move off the item because the ball position had some play. The new unit does not do this.
    Hope this helps.
    09-10-09 12:28 PM
    agreed. no problems with mine. but like i said in another thread, i got mine at bestbuy (which is just down the street) so I can always stop in and get it fixed.
    should any problems arise
    09-10-09 12:32 PM
    Hmmm.....that's a good question. never considered the relation of the trackball and it's position in the bezel.
    I have not sent my old one back so pulled it out and did a comparison.
    The new track ball appears to sit higher and there seems to be less "play" up, down and on the sides.....weird, wonder if they went with a slightly bigger trackball or reposition the cradle?? Hard to tell.
    I am not sure if anyone else had this issue but when pushing down on the old trackball to select it would move off the item because the ball position had some play. The new unit does not do this.
    Hope this helps.
    that helps. thanks. my old one used to move all the time when i'd try to click

this one doesnt, but it does seem to have WAY more up-down give than id expect especially after playing with curves
    09-10-09 12:33 PM
    Someones cranky. LOL
    09-10-09 12:35 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD