My wife has to purchase a new phone for work. She would like to purchase another BB (8900) however her it dept is recommending not to, as they are unable to get them to work on the email system they use, and do not have the BB software??. Currently at work she accesses her email through Outlook Express, however at home to access the same email she uses Outlook Web Access because of running XP..

My question is would the BB 8900 be a good purchase to use with this email system, or is she better off to steer clear of the BB and find a different phone - maybe with the windows mobile software?

thanks,
    Jason
    09-10-09 06:48 AM
    I just bought a Tour. Anxious to learn how to connect to my Microsoft Exchange Server that is net based.

thanks
    Pat
    09-10-09 07:43 AM
    Look at the URL for webmail access, if you see "CookieAuth.dll?" after the domain, then most likely they are using an ISA server for authentication, and it has been noted here that you will probably not be able to connect to your email on the BB through OWA.

I am not an expert on this, but there have been threads posted here on this subject.
    09-10-09 07:48 AM
    I'm not an expert by any means, but I did manage to get my 8900 to access my work email through OWA. It's not as robust as BES, but it gets the job done.
    09-10-09 08:03 AM
    paintdrinkingpete - i clicked on the outlook web access page and no i do not see any cookie auth.. so maybe we will get lucky and it will be easy to hook up.. She just needs a phone that works with her work email and wont be alot of problems..

thanks,
    Jason
    09-10-09 08:57 AM
    What phone does your wife have now that works with her work email? I'm curious what this email system is that would not work with an 8900?

Also, you went with a Tour instead of an 8900 - why did you do this? Also curious about this decision since the phones are different cellular technologies and different cellular providers.
    09-10-09 11:11 AM
    aristile -
    not sure what your asking.. i know nothing about bb.. she currently has a curve (Model???) (AT&T) and her IT dept. said it couldn't be set it up cause they dont have the blackberry software or something along those lines..

Her curve quit charging and charging port on side of phone actually popped out of phone. she is out of contract (AT&T) and is renewing and getting a new phone.. she would like a BB 8900, but her IT dept still says they cant set it up.. and she should just purchase a "smartphone, with windows mobile and activesync installed, to make it all work easier for them."

She uses MS Outlook @ work, and MS OWA @ home to access her work email account.. I am trying to figure out if the BB 8900 will in fact work for her on her work email so i can get this phone purchased ASAP and make her happy. IF the BB 8900 is what she wants and it will work i will get it today..

thanks in advance for any help or insight into this from everybody.

( i think someone else posted about having a TOUR..)
    Last edited by whitney44; 09-10-09 at 12:05 PM.
    09-10-09 12:03 PM
    aristile -
    not sure what your asking.. i know nothing about bb.. she currently has a curve (Model???) (AT&T) and her IT dept. said it couldn't be set it up cause they dont have the blackberry software or something along those lines..

Her curve quit charging and charging port on side of phone actually popped out of phone. she is out of contract (AT&T) and is renewing and getting a new phone.. she would like a BB 8900, but her IT dept still says they cant set it up.. and she should just purchase a "smartphone, with windows mobile and activesync installed, to make it all work easier for them."

She uses MS Outlook @ work, and MS OWA @ home to access her work email account.. I am trying to figure out if the BB 8900 will in fact work for her on her work email so i can get this phone purchased ASAP and make her happy. IF the BB 8900 is what she wants and it will work i will get it today..

thanks in advance for any help or insight into this from everybody.

( i think someone else posted about having a TOUR..)
    Ah, crap. I thought the Tour post was by you also, my bad.

The 83xx device (curve) that she has now - the broken on - was that one able to get her work email? I think it doesn't but I want to make sure we are all on the same page.

The next thing you need to find out is if her work email can be retrieved via a POP or IMAP connection.
    Last edited by aristile; 09-10-09 at 12:13 PM.
    09-10-09 12:10 PM
    No, because IT dept found the phone was not set up on a BB data plan for some reason.. that is being corrected with the new phone purchase and plan update..

however they are still telling her that BB's don't work with OWA without the blackberry software for their email exchanger?? and a smartphone with Windows mobile and activesync is what she needs, and a different IT person told her that's not right, as long as she has her email address and incoming/outgoing email info for the MO or OWA it can be set up..

we are now confused and don't want to purchase a phone that won't work for her email on the BB. but at the same time she wont be happy without her BB..

hence my dilemna of being told "get me a phone, now! that works, preferrably the BB" lol.

Her IT dept says it does NOT use POP style email, must use exchange server, and activesync, with a ssl checked out not on??? if this helps.
    09-10-09 12:18 PM
    Alright, here's what you need to do. Go ahead and get the 8900 with AT&T and add in the Blackberry Data Plan to her account. Once that is setup, you need to follow the guide below to get the email setup. Keep in mind that it can take up to 24 hours for the data plan to become active on your account. Also, if for some reason you can not get it to work you have at least 14 days to return the device and cancel the contract extension - I think AT&T actually has a 30 day return policy.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/sett...ss-bis-208151/

I think this will work out for you. Good Luck!
    09-10-09 12:29 PM
    Alright, here's what you need to do. Go ahead and get the 8900 with AT&T and add in the Blackberry Data Plan to her account. Once that is setup, you need to follow the guide below to get the email setup. Keep in mind that it can take up to 24 hours for the data plan to become active on your account. Also, if for some reason you can not get it to work you have at least 14 days to return the device and cancel the contract extension - I think AT&T actually has a 30 day return policy.

I think this will work out for you. Good Luck!
    yes a 7 day refund/30 day return or exchange policy.. so i will give it a shot.. thanks for all your help.. and hopefully with a little luck she will be happy.. thanks again
    09-10-09 12:32 PM
    Don't let them tell you that, you can get all your money back and cancel your contract extension within 30 days. The only thing you have to pay for is the activation fee and the usage during the time you had the device.

No problem and you are welcome!

Oh yea, and .... Welcome to Crackberry!!
    09-10-09 12:37 PM
    OWA will work fine on any blackberry.
    I've set it up on my phone.
    The only drawback to OWA, is it follows the standard 15min polling intervals to push mail (basically any BIS acct outside of yahoo or gmail does this).
    Good luck!
    09-10-09 01:00 PM
    I am on BIS and use owa at home and it works perfectly.
    09-10-09 10:56 PM
    I have also used OWA without any problems.
    09-11-09 03:15 AM
    8900 here too (bought last week) and I hooked up to my City (work) email myself. Works like a charm! She will love it, and you get it set up for her...you will be the hero!
    09-11-09 11:24 AM
    thanks everyone for the input and help in this matter.. My wife now has the phone she wanted AND her WORK EMAIL is operational from the BB8900.. it was easy to setup with the help of you all and the link for step by step directions.. it is an awesome phone with tons of capabilities and she is PLEASED!
    09-14-09 04:21 PM
    This is great! I am glad to hear that we were able to get you rolling. Enjoy your new device!
    09-14-09 05:49 PM
    aristile, thanks again.. I enjoy this 8900 more everyday, and find more features all the time.. glad you all gave my husband the right advice.. now maybe he'll listen to me when his at&t contract expires on Oct 31st and get one too.. he has never owned a blackberry, but i am trying to convince him to get a 8900 on his contract renewal.. he keeps talking about the iphone, which i know he'll hate in 30 days.. i'll keep my fingers crossed he goes for a bb.. any other suggestions besides the 8900 to look at for his contract renewal on Nov. 1st.. ?
    09-17-09 08:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD