Hey == just got an email from edocrab inviting download of their beta -- available to the first 500 downloaders. As they state, once they're confident it won't melt your phone, they'll make it available as a public beta. If you want it, and you've signed up for the beta, check your email for the notice and get busy!

BTW: I just tried it -- pointed it at the barcode on the back of my Front End Drupal book, snapped a picture and edocrab found it in a couple of seconds, offered up related videos, a few pics from the book, and several options to purchase it directly from my 8900.

BTW: I'm using this on 5.0.0.190 -- and it seems to work perfectly.

I'm liking this!!!
    09-09-09 10:30 PM
    Just downloaded after I received the email invite!!!!!!!!!!!
    09-09-09 11:09 PM
    I am still checking this out. Does this work pretty well?
    09-09-09 11:17 PM
    Seems that the scanner works pretty well, especially if you can set your camera autofocus options to "closeup" (if your BB has that feature). The barcode lookup database seems to be somewhat restricted right now. My guess is that they're focusing on the technology at this stage, and can simply "snap in" an expanded database in the near future independent of any software testing and changes that they're making at this stage.

Right now, I think it's really promising, but not entirely useful just yet if the database is only partially implemented.

Worth trying though, and I look forward to more experiments tomorrow...
    09-09-09 11:20 PM
    Can the mods please merge this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/beta-invite-312061/

With this one...save on bandwidth

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-09 11:23 PM
    I'm on a Bold and when I try to scan I get a message telling me my hardware isn't capable.

09-10-09 02:44 AM
    I too just downloaded it, when I try to scan I ge� a message saying my device does not meet the hardware requirements. I appearently have to type out the barcode.

09-10-09 07:13 AM
    I'm on a Bold and when I try to scan I get a message telling me my hardware isn't capable.

Ditto.

Just downloaded EDOCRAB this morning. Install went fine. Running on a 8330 (Curve) with v4.5.0.169 and get the message "Sorry, your device does not meet the hardware requirements for scanning barcodes......" Wondering if this related to the software, firmware or lack of auto-focus camera on the Cruve?
    09-10-09 07:19 AM
    Just downloaded EDOCRAB this morning, after getting my invite. Install went fine but seems there is a limited database to pull from. Several products are not pulling up even when typing in the barcode manually. Still very cool little app.
    09-10-09 07:39 AM
    Ditto.

Just downloaded EDOCRAB this morning. Install went fine. Running on a 8330 (Curve) with v4.5.0.169 and get the message "Sorry, your device does not meet the hardware requirements for scanning barcodes......" Wondering if this related to the software, firmware or lack of auto-focus camera on the Cruve?
    Same deal here. 8330 .169/.131. Same message. Too bad...

09-10-09 07:57 AM
    I also get "incompatible hardware" with my Bold. I figured it was because I'm using a 5.0 beta OS, but seems like that's not the issue.

09-10-09 08:02 AM
    I downloaded edocrab early this morning and got the same message with my curve "Sorry, your device does not meet the hardware requirements for scanning barcodes". I manually keyed in info and it worked ok, but the fun of the app is to be able to scan bar codes.

Is anyone who got this message keeping the app on their phone?
    09-10-09 08:11 AM
    I think the app requires a higher mp camera + autofocus. Works fine on my Tour.
    09-10-09 08:59 AM
    I downloaded edocrab early this morning and got the same message with my curve "Sorry, your device does not meet the hardware requirements for scanning barcodes". I manually keyed in info and it worked ok, but the fun of the app is to be able to scan bar codes.

Is anyone who got this message keeping the app on their phone?
    I'm going to play with it a while and see what developes. I want to go to several stores and see what the data base has in it. That will need to wait until after work.
    09-10-09 09:05 AM
    Hi all,

Thanks for the great feedback. We did find a (big) bug that prevented a lot of products from showing up. Go ahead and try some of those products again! Note that certain types of products like groceries and clothing just won't be available right now, but we are working on it.

Also, barcode scanning only works on the Storm, Curve 8900, and Tour right now. edocrab needs a camera with "auto-focus" in order to take clear, close up shots. You can still enter the UPC manually which is generally pretty quick, though.
    09-10-09 09:37 AM
    I was also having a hard time finding something in the database, so I tried a common office item when I got to work this morning. It worked, and worked well. Below are some screen shots of the basic app screen as well as available info from a successful barcode read.

(Someone please post below this to let me know if the pics show--I'm at work and photo hosting sites are blocked, so I'm posting these on faith, LOL).

I'm using the Storm, on .148, and the install/use of the app is smooth. My only gripe so far is the same as others, the camera stays on after closing the app.

Here's those shots:

Again, please LMK if you can see the pics.

Looks like a good app--just the camera off tweak and a larger database is needed, IMO.

Joe
    Last edited by joefalco; 09-10-09 at 10:00 AM.
    09-10-09 09:38 AM
    Hrm I haven't been able to get a successful scan. When it shows what a good scan looks like compared to mine they look pretty much the same. I'll have to play around with it on a few more barcodes I guess.
    09-10-09 10:03 AM
    Hi all,

Thanks for the great feedback. We did find a (big) bug that prevented a lot of products from showing up. Go ahead and try some of those products again! Note that certain types of products like groceries and clothing just won't be available right now, but we are working on it.

Also, barcode scanning only works on the Storm, Curve 8900, and Tour right now. edocrab needs a camera with "auto-focus" in order to take clear, close up shots. You can still enter the UPC manually which is generally pretty quick, though.
    Good to know & thanks for this great app! I'll try more scans after work.
    09-10-09 10:18 AM
    I've still been playing around a little with this app. I used the SEARCH function. It allows you to search by either the UPC code or keyword. Just for a test, I chose KEYWORD and typed "micro sd memory". Quite a few different memory sticks came up Since I am thinking about putting an 8 GB in my BB, I chose the Kindston 8GB. The next screen shows the product with UPC code, lists prices (37) and reviews (25).

So far it looks like it could be a helpfull little app.
    09-10-09 10:28 AM
    A couple of quick observations & thoughts:

1) edocrab leaves the 8900 camera on after you exit the program, so I have to exit the camera after closing edocrab. Can you have edocrab close camera app as well? (or, check to see if it was already open, if so -- LEAVE it open, but if not, then close it after edocrab exits).

2) Does RIM's API let you query and set options, such as auto-focus mode? If you, I suggest that edocrab do the following:
    -- query the current setting and save it

-- set auto-focus mode to "close up" if it's not already set to that

-- restore the user's own setting after the scan -- don't wait for the program to close, as the user may switch apps, leaving edocrab open

3) do same as #2 above with other options that might be worth overriding for a barcode scan. I suggest experimenting with options such as White Balance, Picture Size, Picture Quality and Color Effect to see if they change the speed and accuracy of the scan. If any improve it, I'd do same as #2 above: save user setting, override for scan, set back after.

- Jon (also on your feedback thread as of last night)
    09-10-09 10:59 AM
    A couple of quick observations & thoughts:

1) edocrab leaves the 8900 camera on after you exit the program, so I have to exit the camera after closing edocrab. Can you have edocrab close camera app as well? (or, check to see if it was already open, if so -- LEAVE it open, but if not, then close it after edocrab exits).

2) Does RIM's API let you query and set options, such as auto-focus mode? If you, I suggest that edocrab do the following:
    -- query the current setting and save it

-- set auto-focus mode to "close up" if it's not already set to that

-- restore the user's own setting after the scan -- don't wait for the program to close, as the user may switch apps, leaving edocrab open

3) do same as #2 above with other options that might be worth overriding for a barcode scan. I suggest experimenting with options such as White Balance, Picture Size, Picture Quality and Color Effect to see if they change the speed and accuracy of the scan. If any improve it, I'd do same as #2 above: save user setting, override for scan, set back after.

- Jon (also on your feedback thread as of last night)
    Hi Jon,

Thanks for the great feedback. Unfortunately as far as we know there is not a way to close the camera once edocrab is exited. This a RIM limitation. They give us the ability to run the camera, but ironically not exit it. The only option would be to do some kind of keystroke injection to simulate the Menu > Close actually which is pretty messy.

Also, all OS 4.x releases do not provide any control over the camera or any of its features to third party developers. The only thing we can do is actually launch the camera. That's it. This is obviously less than ideal, but we put great effort into making the process as easy as possible given these limitations. We've also done a lot of work to not require the user to change settings such as the resolution or the image quality in order to scan barcodes. While it is still less than ideal, OS 5.x should provide *some* help here which can make the process even easier (think BBM 5.0 barcodes). We are already working on that now.

-Zaventh
    09-10-09 11:26 AM
    I downloaded it this morning also. I'm on a Bold. If I'm not able to "scan" the UPC with the phones camera, inputting all 13 digits or whatever it may be seems rather inconvenient. At that point I can just google whatever it may be I'm looking at. Just my $.02

09-10-09 11:32 AM
    I had a hard time at first getting a scan. Probably due to the fact I was scanning magazines laying around the house. It finally worked this morning on an aerosol can. It didn't find the product. Then at work I have to DVD's someone left and it worked on those and was able to give me prices and reviews of the dvds. Pretty cool. It will come in handy next time I'm shopping for something. Only problem is that it would have to be a significant savings, like I can buy this item here at Best Buy for X amount of dollars or drive across town and save 100 bucks. Not really worth it if your saving a few bucks.
    09-10-09 12:42 PM
    does yours actually show local results? Mine only shows Web results.
    09-10-09 12:51 PM
    Hi all,

but to take full advantage of it you really need to have the Storm, Curve 8900, or a Tour with the auto focus capability and I'm not eligible for an upgrade for awhile. RATS!!! I'm deleting it.
    09-10-09 01:33 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD