I realize the Onyx is the next flagship Blackberry and has wi-fi and a bigger screen on top of the Tour, but I am wondering would you really make the following decision?:

T-Mobile + Blackberry Onyx over

Verizon + Blackberry Tour.
    09-09-09 03:22 PM
    If TMo had service in my area I gladly would make that switch.
    09-09-09 03:24 PM
    yah.. i;m sure people do realize.. they aren't stupid!

but why buy the tour with inferior processor, no wifi, no 3G, a trackball, less memory, probably a weaker battery, not runnin 5.0 OS, with threaded sms etc etc etc

i have the bold and i still want the 9700...

plus if ur not on verizon and with tmo or at&t why switch to get a phone that will be inferior?
    09-09-09 03:25 PM
    yah.. i;m sure people do realize.. they aren't stupid!

but why buy the tour with inferior processor, no wifi, no 3G, a trackball, less memory, probably a weaker battery, not runnin 5.0 OS, with threaded sms etc etc etc

i have the bold and i still want the 9700...

plus if ur not on verizon and with tmo or at&t why switch to get a phone that will be inferior?
    first of all:
    the tour does have 3G and the last i heard the onyx has the same amount of memory, and how can you dis the tours battery when you obviously dont have proof "PROBABLY a weaker battery"... btw im also running os 5.0.0.191 with threaded text sooo.... u basically are right about the wifi and processor but im not to much sold on a trackpad yet
    09-09-09 03:36 PM
    first of all:
    the tour does have 3G and the last i heard the onyx has the same amount of memory, and how can you dis the tours battery when you obviously dont have proof "PROBABLY a weaker battery"... btw im also running os 5.0.0.191 with threaded text sooo.... u basically are right about the wifi and processor but im not to much sold on a trackpad yet
    true.. i guess everyone will have the 5.0 os soon.. but still my point was it;s not enough to make a switch to another carrier ..

unless ur on verizon already.. you could get the tour instead of switching to tmo or at&t.. to get the onyx..

in the end it's personal preference i guess

and to answer the OP's question..

yes i would choose the onyx on a gsm carrier over the tour on a CDMA carrier..
    Last edited by knowledge_6; 09-09-09 at 03:50 PM.
    09-09-09 03:47 PM
    yeah wifi is a big deal for me to because i browse like non stop on my phone so when christmas rolls around ima be getting the odin and perhaps selling my tour....ima hate to see it go...i love it, it just dont really fit my needs for the phone
    09-09-09 03:57 PM
    Two words: Track pad.

Or is it one word? Trackpad.

Anyhow, that is the deal sealer for me. I picked up my Blackberry 8320 in February - and just last weekend the trackball 'enter' function stopped. Apparently it's a common problem and there's no way to fix since it has nothing to do with the ball getting dirty.

I vowed to NEVER buy a BB again. But then, while researching some way to fix the trackball, I stumbled upon the new trackpad design. That's why I'm waiting.

For now, I'll make do with the 'enter' key but once the Onyx is released for T-Mobile, I'm picking that sucker up.

Oh yeah, The Tour has no wi-fi? Forget that! I use Wi-Fi everyday when I'm in the office.
    Last edited by CARMA_626; 09-09-09 at 04:00 PM.
    09-09-09 03:57 PM
    Erm... because not all of us are from the US maybe?

In the UK, the Onyx is (or will be) our Tour... with wifi and a trackpad

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-09 04:06 PM
    I'm waiting because I'm on AT&T. I was planning to get a Bold but I'm planning to hold out to compare the two. Wifi and 3G is a must for me this time around...I love my Curve but time for Wifi.
    09-09-09 04:35 PM
    Well i'm def sold on the trackpad, my trackball is acting ******** right now
    09-09-09 05:33 PM
    I would put my money on about 4 billion trackpad problem threads. I'm sure it'll be nice... But people will complain about anything. The Tour's processor is more than enough power, and a faster one would put a larger drain on the battery. As far as carriers.. TMO is cheaper, VZW is superior in coverage, customer service, and phone selections.

09-09-09 05:44 PM
    I should have specified that my question was aimed more at the users in the USA where the data overload is a problem: see iPhone's omen
    for details. Verizon has a 3G network that is currently not sucked up by the iPhone and Tmobile is simply not caught up to ATT and Verizon yet in terms of coverage so it seems that getting an Onyx on TMobile would be like getting a Ferarri that is not legal on Freeways. The Tour on Verizon is like an Acura that can be driven anywhere.

09-09-09 05:48 PM
    I'm not sure about many other people, but here around Boston my friend's verizon sucks. He constantly loses data for his Blackberry. Then again it may just be his Storm and not carrier. However, Verizon is much more expensive as well. T-Mobile wins me over.
    09-09-09 05:57 PM
    As well as "UMA" on TMo being another big +!
    Not sure why anyone would buy the Tour (yesterdays technology) over Onyx tho.

j/k re yesterdays technology
    09-09-09 06:05 PM
    no tour in the uk
    09-09-09 06:06 PM
    I would deff choose the Onyx over the Tour...too many issues with the Tour as of right now IMO
    09-09-09 06:14 PM
    I'm not sure about many other people, but here around Boston my friend's verizon sucks. He constantly loses data for his Blackberry. Then again it may just be his Storm and not carrier. However, Verizon is much more expensive as well. T-Mobile wins me over.
    +1
    I know tons of people who have Verizon and hate there service. T-Mobile is much cheaper then all of the carriers, so why not send it there? Plus its time for T-Mobile to get a "flagship" Berry.... Verizon/Sprint: Storm & Tour and AT&T: Bold.

Yep, time for T-Mobile to get something cool other then the 8520 or whatever that thing is, and the 8900 (which I love but am upgrading as soon as this sucker comes out, once the bugs are worked out of course )

Plus the lack of wifi on the Tour? Come on! Its a no brainer for us T-Mobile users
    09-09-09 06:14 PM
    I realize the Onyx is the next flagship Blackberry and has wi-fi and a bigger screen on top of the Tour, but I am wondering would you really make the following decision?:

T-Mobile + Blackberry Onyx over

Verizon + Blackberry Tour.
    I love the trackpad, I NEED wifi (ok, maybe 'need' is a strong word! ) and I don't want to switch to Verizon.
    09-09-09 06:30 PM
    I would deff choose the Onyx over the Tour...too many issues with the Tour as of right now IMO
    And the Onyx will be perfect out of the box.
    09-09-09 06:36 PM
    I don't want to switch to Verizon.
    This would sum up why I'm not going to rush to Verizon for the Tour. Besides, if I wanted the Tour, I could get it from my current carrier. I don't want the Tour (at this moment, though it's in my "consideration pile," as is the Onyx). So, I'm happy to just watch things develop.

Enjoy your Tour and your VZ coverage, won'tcha? Just not my cup o' tea.
    Last edited by CNYBlackBerryAddict; 09-09-09 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Grrr...stupid typos.... :(
    09-09-09 06:52 PM
    I love Tmobile and I sooooo cant wait for this phone!!! 3g uma calling wifi web surfing can it get any better....oh yes it did with that trackpad im in love
    09-09-09 10:29 PM
    I prefer GSM over CDMA, I need WiFi, and simultaneous voice and data is a nice bonus as well. There really is no need for me to switch back to Verizon as coverage is just fine for me.
    09-09-09 11:37 PM
    i left vzw and am never going back!!! lack of wifi on a device today is horrible!!!

for me this is why i am waiting!

trackpad > trackball

wifi> no wifi

anyone > better than vzw had horrible customer service experience with them!
    09-09-09 11:46 PM
    Besides the SIM making switching phones a snap in GSM (one of the reasons I left VZ several years ago), switching (back) to Verizon would cost me serious money, as their cheapest plan is at least $20 a month more than I currently pay AT&T. (Main reason I left, for the same money as my regional plan, I got more minutes and a national plan - this was before the 'berry.),
    Last edited by Ainen; 09-10-09 at 04:53 AM.
    09-10-09 04:41 AM
    Dumbest thread topic ever!
    09-10-09 06:57 AM
103 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD