I am wondering if this can be done, i have searched the post for the curve and other bb's but haven't found the answer probably because its doesnt happen very often or ever.

I have a verizon curve 8330 and i want to send it to my father in canada who uses telus as a carrier. I know that verizon and telus are both cdma, is there anything i need to do to the phone to get it to work on telus? does it need to be flashed? if so where can i get this done?

any help would be appreciated.
    09-08-09 06:34 PM
    Can't be done

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-09 06:36 PM
    Can't be done

alrighty then. may i ask the technicals behind this if people are able to use bolds or others on verizon. is this a country thing? or does telus only use 8330m or??? its not that big a deal but just wondering
    09-08-09 06:44 PM
    Can't use a Bold on Verizon. GSM vs. CDMA.

Generally, CDMA carriers don't let other phones on their network. Call Telus and ask them if they will activate your ESN on their network, if they say yes then you are in luck.
    If they say no, then it can't be done.

09-08-09 07:32 PM
    Ok the quetion was can a 8330 on VZ be used on telus. If u can get ur 8330 unlocked then u can get telus to pick it up. If this wasn't possible ppl wouldn't cell their bbs on ebay. As long as your phone is cdma, any cdma carrier(Vz,Sprint,Telus) will pick it up. I have a friend that bought a tour from verizon and unlocked it and is using it with cricket service.

09-08-09 08:10 PM
    Ok the quetion was can a 8330 on VZ be used on telus. If u can get ur 8330 unlocked then u can get telus to pick it up. If this wasn't possible ppl wouldn't cell their bbs on ebay. As long as your phone is cdma, any cdma carrier(Vz,Sprint,Telus) will pick it up. I have a friend that bought a tour from verizon and unlocked it and is using it with cricket service.

wow. high five for completely incorrect info. *holds up hand* no? hm...

I know at least with verizon you cannot do this. telus may have their own policy on it, but chances are 95% you will not be able to do it. you cannot "unlock" a CDMA phone. that is only for GSM phones.
    09-08-09 08:17 PM
    Some CDMA carriers (Metro PCS, Cricket) allow devices from other CDMA carriers to be activated on their network. Most do not.

The best thing to do (as indicated above) is to call Telus and ask them directly. Give them the ESN and they can plug it into their system and check instantly.
    09-08-09 08:22 PM
    Some CDMA carriers (Metro PCS, Cricket) allow devices from other CDMA carriers to be activated on their network. Most do not.

The best thing to do (as indicated above) is to call Telus and ask them directly. Give them the ESN and they can plug it into their system and check instantly.
    the only way i can see it can work based on what the other person said is if the phone is through a main carrier (say VZW) and the phone is being activated under a small carrier (say cricket), since cricket uses the VZW network.
    09-08-09 08:36 PM
    Up here in Canada, Bell Mobility and Telus--the resident CDMA providers--do NOT allow ANY phones that are not their own to operate on their network. I think you can unlock CDMA phones, but who bothers when the networks are restricted? (at least they are for CDMA in Canada, not sure about US)..so short answer is a No, unless you have an inside man @ Telus willing to risk his job
    09-09-09 02:14 AM
    This isn't possible. When you see phones for sale on eBay, they're locked to whatever carrier when they're CDMA. VZW phones can be used on VZW; Sprint, Sprint. Unlocked means the GSM SIM card can be used with any carrier. That doesn't apply to CDMA.
    09-09-09 02:36 AM
    thanks everyone for the info, it sounds likes it is more hassle than its worth. i was just going to give him the phone to use for a short time to prove to him that a bb will make his life easier. he maintains that even though he owns a medium sized business a bb is not required. he's right it isnt required but it sure is handy. i'll just find a telus tour on ebay and send it to him and he'll be forced to live in 2009.
    -thanks again
    09-09-09 08:51 AM

It IS possible to unlock a CDMA phone. CDMA carriers use a system called SOC Locking (System Operational Code) to restrict devices to their particular network. IF you can find out the SOC Lock code for your new carrier, AND you can unlock your device, then you simply enter the SOC code for your new carrier into the device, and re-lock it, and the carrier will be able to enable it on their network.

SOME carriers will do it for you (a lot of Telus locations, the reps will do it for you for a "$50 fee" but you wont get a reciept for the $50 fee, they're not SUPPOSED to do it, but they do, same with some of the old Aliant (now Bell) Reps.

I used to do it all the time when I did Tech support for ATT when they used to be CDMA (in fact, for OLD Nokia ATT devices, the code used to be *#639#12345* menu option 3 (SOC Code) )

Now let the screaming and yelling that I'm wrong and don't know what I'm talking about begin (sorry to sound cynical, but I brought this up in a thread once before, and had to have the Mods delete the thread it got so bad)

Now, all of that having been said. Swood1973, it's really more effort than it's worth, because likely, Telus wont do it, however, if you wanna give it a try, have your Dad go in to a Telus location with the phone, and tell them that he just moved back to the area from the US and was hoping to keep his same device, they may do it for him, or may hook him up with a great deal on the same device, just to get him onto a smartphone plan.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-10-09 at 02:50 PM. Reason: content moderation
    09-10-09 02:00 PM

It IS possible to unlock a CDMA phone. CDMA carriers use a system called SOC Locking (System Operational Code) to restrict devices to their particular network. IF you can find out the SOC Lock code for your new carrier, AND you can unlock your device, then you simply enter the SOC code for your new carrier into the device, and re-lock it, and the carrier will be able to enable it on their network.

SOME carriers will do it for you (a lot of Telus locations, the reps will do it for you for a "$50 fee" but you wont get a reciept for the $50 fee, they're not SUPPOSED to do it, but they do, same with some of the old Aliant (now Bell) Reps.

I used to do it all the time when I did Tech support for ATT when they used to be CDMA (in fact, for OLD Nokia ATT devices, the code used to be *#639#12345* menu option 3 (SOC Code) )

Now let the screaming and yelling that I'm wrong and don't know what I'm talking about begin (sorry to sound cynical, but I brought this up in a thread once before, and had to have the Mods delete the thread it got so bad)

Now, all of that having been said. Swood1973, it's really more effort than it's worth, because likely, Telus wont do it, however, if you wanna give it a try, have your Dad go in to a Telus location with the phone, and tell them that he just moved back to the area from the US and was hoping to keep his same device, they may do it for him, or may hook him up with a great deal on the same device, just to get him onto a smartphone plan.

i knew that something like this was possible but i also knew that it was probably more trouble than it was worth. the curve is not the right phone for my father ( nothing against it ) but i thought that if i got his feet wet he would become a believer and purchase the tour or similar. He runs a business with 30 company cell phones but feels that his motorola v750 is all he needs. I'll just have to visit him and deliver a bb seminar..lol. -Thanks
    09-11-09 07:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD