Here is another rant that a BB owner has:

Ok, my Blackberry has had a flaw in it since I've had the phone. Since I didn't know anyone that had one when I recieved it, I thought it just happened to every storm owner. When I go outside with my phone for about ten minutes or so, and it gets to hot, the face doesnt want to recognize my thumbs touching it for about 15 minutes or until the phone cools down.

So I went to Verizon, walked in, and showed the greeter what was going on with my phone. He agreed with me that it's not suppose to do this, and has me sit down and wait. About 20 minutes later I was finally called up. I told the Rep what I was having issues with, and that it only does that when it gets hot. I also explained to her that my job requires me to be outside most of the day. She said that there was nothing she could do but to do a wipe and reinstall my software. I fought with her about this and told her that nothing that has been downloaded or installed on the phone would cause this. She then told me that she can send me a refurbished phone, and that it will take a couple days. I argued about this again, and told her that I wanted a brand new one. She said she can't, so I left.

Ten minutes later, I decided to go to a store that has Technical Support. I go inside, and they put me on the waiting list. I waited for another 40 minutes until my name was called. I went to the counter, and told the Rep exactly what was going on. He then told me that he needs to duplicate the problem in order for me to get a new one. I said that it only does it when I'm outside for more then ten minutes. He then told me that I can go stand outside, and have it mess up, and come straight to him when it does. I told him that it would be a health hazard due to the excessive heat, but then he tries to assure me that I will be fine. I then tell him, that if HE needs to duplicate it, then why doesn't he go outside. He said he couldn't. So I go, and as I'm outside waiting, I call customer service. I told the person on the phone what was happening, and he told me to contact the store manager.
    • OFF TOPIC: If anyone knows how Arizonas heat is in the summer, then you know that it is VERY much so a health hazard.

The store manager tells me that he does need to dupilcate it. I told him that I understood that, but to ask a customer to go stand outside in 107 degree heat until his phone breaks is irresponsible. I told him I wanted a new phone, but all he said was that he can't until they can duplicate it. So I left the store and came on here.

My question (If anyone can help) is if there is a way to get a brand new one, and not a refurbished, and to file a lawsuit among Verizon for neglagence. Their conduct was unprofessional, and disrespectful.
    09-08-09 03:37 PM
    ......... So what happens if you did get a new phone and it does the same thing?..... Either deal with it or take the refurb..... They're not all that bad

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-09 04:01 PM
    It's a working Blackberry..I'd say take what you can get!
    09-08-09 04:04 PM
    The newer sets of refurb storms are better then the new storms. All the refurbs are being made in Hungary and they work great. I'm a vzw rep and I've fru'd into a refurb storm. I open a lot of brand new boxes for storms and notice my device is a lot better. Go into a vzw Corp store and ask to see a storm made in Hungary. I really have a storm 1.5 because a lot of hardware issues have been improved also my bottom 4 buttons are just one single button now instead of 3.

Last edited by suby723; 09-08-09 at 04:12 PM.
    09-08-09 04:06 PM
    Refurbished phones are "like new" they have to go thru so many diff test and steps to be allowed to given to a customer. Id say take it. If the problem persists contact them again.
    09-08-09 04:10 PM
    I don't agree with the Rep asking you to stand outside...but I've lived in Arizona my whole life and I wouldnt say standing outside for 10 minutes is a "health hazard". You just mentioned that you work outside....Do you tell your boss that being outside is a healt hazard ? I paint houses for a living, some outside, some inside with no a/c & some inside with a/c...so I get the full spectrum in that regard.

Anyways, Unless your phone is within the 30 day return period, them giving you a refurb or "certified like new" is policy.
    09-08-09 04:20 PM
    I may just go with the refurbed phone. I just want to file a lawsuit aswell.
    09-08-09 04:21 PM
    I may just go with the refurbed phone. I just want to file a lawsuit aswell.
    C'mon man...you should have just asked for a different rep or a manager....or go to a different store....or call CS like you did.

I don't see how a lawsuit is logical. You live in Arizona....It's hot here.
    09-08-09 04:24 PM
    I don't agree with the Rep asking you to stand outside...but I've lived in Arizona my whole life and I wouldnt say standing outside for 10 minutes is a "health hazard". You just mentioned that you work outside....Do you tell your boss that being outside is a healt hazard ? I paint houses for a living, some outside, some inside with no a/c & some inside with a/c...so I get the full spectrum in that regard.

Anyways, Unless your phone is within the 30 day return period, them giving you a refurb or "certified like new" is policy.
    The heat is always a health hazard in Arizona. I do work outside, but I had to sign a contract stating if any injuries do to the heat were inflicted upon me, that they wouldn't be responsible. I didn't see a contract from Verizon asking me to sign it. It can be for 10 hours or 10 minutes, but it is hazardous to your health without water.
    09-08-09 04:25 PM
    Just call CS on the phone, I usually prefer talking to them than in store reps anyways.

But either way you're most likely going to end up with a refurb...but they are good phones. And even if you have a problem with the refurb, you can always call again and get another one.
    09-08-09 04:27 PM
    Wow. Just wow. You never know what you will see in this forum. And just when you thought you saw it all, you get this great piece of entertainment.
    09-08-09 04:29 PM
    What would be the basis of a lawsuit? They were inconsiderate and hurt your feeling. WOW! As previously stated, contact CS. They are very helpful and things will be resolved. ALso, so many times I read on this site that people just go into the store and deal with ANYONE. I suggest a store that you are comfortable with and develop a sales relationship with one representative. You will find over time you will be much happier. I have been with Verizon for 15 years and have only dealt with TWO sales reps. They no what I want and always eager to be of assistance.
    09-08-09 04:37 PM
    What would be the basis of a lawsuit? They were inconsiderate and hurt your feeling. WOW! As previously stated, contact CS. They are very helpful and things will be resolved. ALso, so many times I read on this site that people just go into the store and deal with ANYONE. I suggest a store that you are comfortable with and develop a sales relationship with one representative. You will find over time you will be much happier. I have been with Verizon for 15 years and have only dealt with TWO sales reps. They no what I want and always eager to be of assistance.
    I have contacted CS. They are sending me a refurbished phone. I'm currently contacting a lawyer. They've told me that I have a suitable case due to neglagance for health and well-being to a customer. It's not that they hurt my feelings, but you wouldn't ask an eighty year old woman to stand outside without knowing their health background. What if they get severly injured by a heat stroke? Then that would be an even bigger lawsuit. I'm tired of corporations neglecting the little people. Maybe it's time they know that they can be touched.
    09-08-09 04:46 PM
    You serve me
    And I'll serve you
    Swing your partners, all get screwed
    Bring your lawyer
    And I'll bring mine
    Get together, and we could have
    a bad time - George Harrison

It just gets better...
    09-08-09 04:50 PM
    Lawsuits aside, here is a page you may want to look at for temperature and the phone.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...h_9530_SIB.pdf

Scroll down to pg 11 of 36. You will see they do not recommend going above 104 degrees. With the heat from outside, and your battery while your phone is on, combined with it being in your pocket or a holster that covers it; it is just like a big heater. Because it states operating temperature in the care instructions, I wouldn't suggest bringing that up as to why you should get a new phone in the courtroom...

Plus Im sure if the tech guy had some common sense he could've achieved the same results by sitting it directly under a desk lamp for 10-15 minutes at close range...

On a side note, some people attribute high expenses to companies trying to pass of the cost of those lawsuits to their customers by raising prices. Who knows maybe health care in the USA would be cheaper if everyone wasnt trying to sue their doctor. They should be grateful they are at least alive...
    Last edited by Thanontos; 09-08-09 at 05:14 PM.
    09-08-09 05:11 PM
    Since this is more about Verizon than it is about the Storm I am going to move it to the Verizon Forum
    09-08-09 05:12 PM
    Thanks pk. Your the first person here to help me.

09-08-09 05:48 PM
    although i do not "Technically" work for vzw (another US cell provider), i can safley say that your provider of service (vzw) is going out of their way to help speed up the warrenty process for YOU. They offer the refurbs so YOU don't have to send the phone to the manufacturer to be repiared. If getting a refurb is out of the question for you, maybe, you should contact RIM for a warrenty claim???

just my .02......
    09-08-09 05:55 PM
    On a side note, some people attribute high expenses to companies trying to pass of the cost of those lawsuits to their customers by raising prices. Who knows maybe health care in the USA would be cheaper if everyone wasnt trying to sue their doctor. They should be grateful they are at least alive...
    Amen brother.
    09-08-09 05:59 PM
    First off, I live & work in Arizona. I not only survived the big one, when it hit 122 in Phoenix, I was on a motorcycle from Scottsdale through Maricopa, Gila Bend, Yuma, El Centro, CA, then past Indio & Jacumba on the way to San Diego. I experienced a high of 126 that day, without A/C - over 6 hours, not 10-15 minutes. For the record, this was an unplanned trip, without checking the weather forecast.

I regularly take lunch in area parks - I love outside too much to let a little heat get in the way - and I am approaching 60.

Yes, it can be a health hazard, but only if you're not thinking. That being said...

Replacing the phone will do no good. The interface, battery, electronics & controls are not designed to take the extreme temps. The phone is not defective.

As for taking it outside, if I didn't want to suffer the heat, I'd have gone to the car, tossed the phone on the seat, then gone back inside for a few minutes. If theft risk was a concern, a piece of paper laid over the phone would work - or tossing the phone in the trunk may have been an option.

If you want to file a lawsuit only to have an attorney toss out the RIM disclaimer over extreme temperature operation, that is your call. But no one at VZW - or AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc. would have forced you to stand outside in direct sunlight. And, if any of those carriers has warranted the device, the manufacturer may have charged the credit back to the carrier.

And, before you think it is bad in Arizona, think about our people in the Middle East - 120 degrees, with full gear, often living in what amounts to a metal Mobile-Mini box.

Again, thinking through options & conditions helps you survive any conditions. If you can't handle 115 here for 10-15 minutes, move. Don't blame carriers for selling you something that you didn't read the manual on. The same manual will give you information advising the phone won't function at 50 below zero or at the bottom of a pool.

09-08-09 06:13 PM
    good luck with the lawyer. will you come back here and complain when he takes your money?
    09-08-09 06:16 PM
    sounds like someone in New York...sue sue sue
    09-08-09 06:24 PM
    You DO NOT have a negligence case... no damage occurred..... your lawyer is playing you
    09-08-09 06:27 PM
    You have GOT to be kidding me, right ????

So you work outside, great. You KNOW what the weather is, so if someone said you have to go stand outside, why don't you I dunno, take a WATER bottle outside while you wait, since you claim its dangerous WITHOUT water ???? Or better yet, come back when its actually happening. Basically, you took a rep's words literally and now you think you have a basis to sue.

Good luck on that. You don't even have any proof. You're 80. You're gonna get your money taken by a lawyer. Man, what an easy job....

Bet they asked for a retainer huh ????

P.S. I like how you want to sue someone for something you can't even spell. Its called negligence.
    Last edited by mexiken; 09-08-09 at 06:41 PM.
    09-08-09 06:38 PM
    Lol. Good luck suing for negligence without any damages.

Do the refurbished models still have the heat problems? I've already had this problem in London, UK and Chicago and the temps never got above 90-95 degrees Fahrenheit.

09-08-09 07:16 PM
124 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD