I received a text from an unknown person on my bb 8330. I didn't open anything and deleted it from my phone. Shortly after, my husband received a text from me saying that his bank account had been suspended from a bank we don't even have an account with. At the same time, I received the same text. This thing has hit everyone in my contact list and is being sent as a text message. It keeps sending these messages! How do I get it to stop?!? HELP!!!
    09-06-09 04:36 PM
    Is it a text or a PIN message?

I see two possibilities, either someone is out there spoofing phone numbers or it' s aPIN message and someone is spoofing PIN's.

You can't install a virus from a text message.
    09-06-09 04:47 PM
    Okay. I just checked these messages out. I am not sure what a PIN message is. However, on my phone and my husbands phone they are coming in as a text message with our text message alert tones. They are in the text message folder. The message says it is from a series of numbers followed by the @ sign and then the bank name.

Hope this helps?
    09-06-09 05:05 PM
    Someone is trolling, do they provide a link or something to "verify" your account info?
    09-06-09 05:32 PM
    Yes. they do provide a link where you are supposed to enter your account information. but I am smarter than that. I know what they are trying to do. My problem is, that the text messages are originating from my phone now to everyone in my contacts lists. All of them are the same message, but they say they are from me! Which of course they are not. How do i get them to stop?
    09-06-09 06:03 PM
    1 ))) I want to keep up on this thread for sure , I'm very interested in finding out what caused this
    2 ))) Have you deleted the original sms message ? ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-09 06:26 PM
    Would a wipe and OS re load solve that issue?

09-06-09 09:59 PM
    My guess would be that they were, as Radius so ably pointed out, just trolling for numbers. The first text was undoubtedly a test to see if anybody had a certain number as they worked their way through the possibilities. Once it was noted as delivered, then they could move to step 2.

I would just delete them and stay vigilant, but don't fret over a virus. You might even want to forward them to the bank in question, as they might be able to work with the cell companies to track down who's doing this phishing.

Good luck and stay safe out there!
    09-06-09 11:25 PM
    Absolutely report this to your carrier and your bank! Unsolicited text messages are a bad thing! Bad! It costs you money (uses up messages on your SMS count) and your carrier bandwidth. It should not be tolerated.

09-06-09 11:57 PM
    Until you figure it out, you may want to try this:

Options>Security Options>Firewall

Status=Enabled

Block Incoming Messages:
    SMS=CHECKED
    BlackBerry Internet Service=CHECKED

Except messages from:
    Address book contacts=CHECKED
    09-07-09 12:01 AM
    This thing has hit everyone in my contact list and is being sent as a text message.
    Interesting that it seems to have harvested an address book or have access to your contact information.
    Have you uploaded your contacts to a third party such as Google or a social network app?
    09-07-09 01:25 PM
    this was actually on the news here, do not click on the link its a phishiing text, getting people to send money. its a hoax
    09-07-09 07:35 PM
    You can't get a virus on your phone. Viruses are written for windows os and cant transfer over to bb os. I'd say its a scam/spam message.
    09-07-09 07:38 PM
    So, what's the explanation for all of the outgoing text messages her contacts said they got from the OP's phone?
    09-07-09 08:14 PM
    weird, now I'm freaked out! good luck with this, hollybry!

on the other hand, I learned that BBs have firewalls. Learn something new everyday..
    09-07-09 09:40 PM
    To the op: do you have an update on this issue? Did it quit sending out txt messages that appeared to be coming from you? I am very curious as to how that could have been happening and would like to hear more.

09-07-09 09:46 PM
    You can't get a virus on your phone. Viruses are written for windows os and cant transfer over to bb os. I'd say its a scam/spam message.
    With the rising popularity of BB, Someone may have desinged one for BB ?

09-07-09 11:34 PM
    Until you figure it out, you may want to try this:

Options>Security Options>Firewall

Status=Enabled

Block Incoming Messages:
    SMS=CHECKED
    BlackBerry Internet Service=CHECKED

Except messages from:
    Address book contacts=CHECKED
    Wow, I just checked my BB and my firewall was disabled.

Stupid question; what does checking blackberry internet service do?

And what should the safety settings be for a typical blackberry user?
    09-07-09 11:54 PM
    But somebody can write a virus for other OS's and even specific applications. I remember working with Excel and having to deal with a virus that made it almost impossible to get work done on the excel spreadsheet.
    09-07-09 11:56 PM
    Wow, I just checked my BB and my firewall was disabled.

Stupid question; what does checking blackberry internet service do?

And what should the safety settings be for a typical blackberry user?
    Having this firewall on is not the equivalent to running a firewall on your computer where your computer can easily get hacked without it- so, don't get freaked out.

Checking BIS applies the block rule to your email.

Typical users will also have the firewall disabled. It's really just a solution to spammers or crazy ex-girlfriends!
    09-07-09 11:57 PM
    I doubt this is a blackberry specific thing. People phish on cell phones all the time. It looks like its coming from you the same way Spam looks like its coming from you. Report it to your carrier, and continue to be smart enough not to enter anything.
    09-08-09 12:04 AM
    I doubt this is a blackberry specific thing. People phish on cell phones all the time. It looks like its coming from you the same way Spam looks like its coming from you. Report it to your carrier, and continue to be smart enough not to enter anything.
    While the "idea" isn't BlackBerry specific, the "virus" would be. A Windows virus wouldn't work on a BlackBerry operating system, but a virus designed FOR the BlackBerry OS would.
    09-08-09 12:07 AM
    USE PROTECTION!

CLICK HERE for the Mobile Skins website. I can't help but giggle at this product.
    Last edited by rockmyberry; 09-11-09 at 12:23 AM.
    09-08-09 12:24 AM
    USE PROTECTION!

CLICK HERE for the Mobile Skins website. I can't help but giggle at this product.
    Wow... those are real? They made me laugh to haha
    09-08-09 01:22 AM
    Is this a tmobile phone? I my self have TMO and have received text saying my credit union account has been frozen and to call and give my 16 digit card number. A Tmo rep told me it is group of ppl trying to collect account numbers. I believe only Tmo subscribers are affected that's what I read in the news.

09-08-09 08:31 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD