I received this error yesterday when doing a hard and soft reset,

"Uncaught Exception: DSSMA Invalid state (5) 200"

And when attempting to view my messages it would be very slow and show almost nothing. All text, emails, calls were now showing. I believe the only thing there was facebook alerts and bbm conversations.

So I did some searching on this error message and found this:

The following error is received when opening the messages folder: Uncaught Exception: DSSMA Invalid state

Which suggested erasing all data and applications from the phone. I backed up the phone, and then erased all data, but left the applications. I then restored the backup onto the phone and everything is fine now.

Does anyone know why I would get this error message?

Thanks
    09-05-09 10:01 AM
    Overview
    When the BlackBerry smartphone user attempts to access or open the messages folder from the home screen, the following error message is displayed:

Uncaught Exception: DSSMA Invalid state.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resolution
    Resolution 1
    Perform a hard reset of the BlackBerry smartphone. For more information, see KB02141.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resolution 2
    Back up the BlackBerry smartphone using BlackBerry� Desktop Manager. For more information, see KB11625.
    Erase all data and applications from the BlackBerry smartphone. For more information, see KB02318.
    Restore the backup of the BlackBerry smartphone using BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    09-05-09 10:08 AM
    Overview
    When the BlackBerry smartphone user attempts to access or open the messages folder from the home screen, the following error message is displayed:

Uncaught Exception: DSSMA Invalid state.

Resolution
    Resolution 1
    Perform a hard reset of the BlackBerry smartphone. For more information, see KB02141.

Resolution 2
    Back up the BlackBerry smartphone using BlackBerry� Desktop Manager. For more information, see KB11625.
    Erase all data and applications from the BlackBerry smartphone. For more information, see KB02318.
    Restore the backup of the BlackBerry smartphone using BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    I'm not sure if you were just copying the information from my link, but I'm actually looking for a reason further behind this.

Why would I get this error when attempting to access or open the messages folder from the home screen?

I have always pressed left assigned button that takes me to the messages, and have done this while viewing the home screen.
    09-05-09 10:16 AM
    Basically it appears to be caused by a corruption. This is taken right from the RIM tech website.

At this point I would wipe the deivce and restore a current back up. If this does not work then corruption has been xfered to your back up.
    Last edited by lastraid; 09-05-09 at 10:21 AM.
    09-05-09 10:19 AM
    Basically it appears to be caused by a corruption. This is taken right from the RIM tech website.

At this point I would wipe the deivce and restore a current back up. If this does not work then corruption has been xfered to your back up.
    Thanks for the input. I did find the technical document when searching for this issue, and performed the steps outlined.

I'm a software developer myself, so I'm always wanting to know why something happens and how to duplicate the issue (how the data was corrupted)
    09-05-09 11:24 AM
    Thanks for the input. I did find the technical document when searching for this issue, and performed the steps outlined.

I'm a software developer myself, so I'm always wanting to know why something happens and how to duplicate the issue (how the data was corrupted)
    Cool - Good luck with finding the cause though Did the steps work for you?
    09-05-09 11:28 AM
    Also those that do get this message, don't worry, your data is most likely there even thought it may not show up in the messages. Do a backup of your data!
    09-05-09 11:30 AM
    Cool - Good luck with finding the cause though Did the steps work for you?
    The battery pull did not fix the issue. But I did a data wipe from the security menu, and then loaded the data from my backup and everything was fine.

One thing to note is that I actually got this message at the time of startup, not when I try and view the messages.
    09-05-09 11:32 AM
    Found one way of reproducing it:

Uncaught Exception Error Inbox not accesible - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community

I can get it to reliably happen. It happens when I delete multiple messages. It doesn't matter if those messages came to the same address or to different addresses (I have 9 emails in my BIS). Java error every time.
    Although I haven't done a mass delete of messages, so this may not be the cause of my instance
    09-05-09 11:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD