My girlfriend had her blackberry drop into the water yesterday at the Beach. It was in there for about 6-7 seconds. When we pulled it out, it seemed to still work. A while later, the trackball would work, but the click wouldn't register. After that, the keyboard completely stopped working as well. Basically, the phone turns on, but we can't really do much with it.

Any suggestions on what may have happened, and how it can be fixed?

Now, she has called in before because the phone wasn't working properly. It would go into speakerphone a lot on it's own when in a call, and random freezes here and there. Did all the troubleshooting, but the fact is that Rogers Wireless has all this on file for the phone. We were thinking of getting a replacement soon. So do you guys think we should just send it back, or will they not give us one because it fell in water. The moisture indicator on the battery is still white. There's another white sticker on the inside of the phone, which I don't know serves the same purpose, but it is also white.

Help would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, this phone is with Rogers Wireless (Canada), if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance
    09-03-09 08:36 AM
    Open the device take out the battery and blow drye it with a hair blow dryer make sure not too hot..my cousin did this and it started working for him but he drop it in the sink not the beach lol...is worth a shot tho
    09-03-09 08:43 AM
    Try the rice in a zip lock bag trick
    09-03-09 08:49 AM
    NEVER use a blow dryer!!!!

Take the battery out IMMEDIATELY!!! Buy a bag of dry/uncooked Rice... put the dry rice in a zip lock bag alone with your phone for 2-3 DAYS. If you had done this Immediately then MAYBE you would have saved your device... if not you MIGHT have an operational phone right after you do this.
    09-03-09 08:55 AM
    You said the beach so salt water yes?

If you dry the phone and use it, you will kill it completely.

Salt water is corrosive, so when you apply power things on the circuit board are gonna get damaged over time. The ONLY way to recover from salt water is to take the phone completely and clean the while board in 100% rubbing alcohol.

Don't just dry it and use it. It may appear to work but after a week or two strange things will happen and then it will be dead forever.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-09 09:19 AM
    Fatboy and Radius are both giving you great advice. Your phone needs to be replaced and water damage is not covered under the warranty. If you have insurance then go ahead and make a claim.
    09-03-09 10:26 AM
    This is all good. Thanks for your help. I'm gonna try the rice for now, and get a call into Rogers at the same time. Now how would I open the phone up to do the rubbing alcohol on the circuit board?
    09-03-09 11:33 AM
    This is all good. Thanks for your help. I'm gonna try the rice for now, and get a call into Rogers at the same time. Now how would I open the phone up to do the rubbing alcohol on the circuit board?
    Ok, real simple, forget the rice. Period. It's not going to do anything.

Crack open the case and submerge the unit in 100% rubbing alcohol to purge the moisture. Remove the LCD as well so you can clean it separately.

You really need a proper brush for this, an ESD fine hair brush or you can cause a lot of damage. Don't use a toothbrush, don't wipe it with anything but an ESD cloth.

ESD means it is anti static. This is a lot to consider but remember, the electronics inside the board are sensitive and if you rub the wrong cloth or brush over them it's dead. This stuff is easy to find at your local electronics shop.

Until then leave the unit submerged in the alcohol, real easy. Stops the corrosion. You can probably remove it in a few minutes, just swish it around.

The purpose of the brush is to remove minerals from between the leads on the IC's. If there are any, it's dead on power up.

Not trying to make it sound complicated, but this is the safest way. I work at an electronics manufacturer so I know this stuff pretty well. I get to handle it all the time and see how easy it can die.
    09-03-09 11:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD