My First 24 Hours with the Blackberry Onyx

Where to begin�

I�d like to begin by saying that this is my very first Blackberry I�ve owned. Sure I�ve configured quite a few of them for people at work, but I�ve never owned one that I could call my own. Previous to the 9700 the only other smart phones that I have owned have been the Nokia E71 --Amazing Phone, and the Nokia N97 --Beautiful device!

Making the change to Blackberry is something that I�ve researched thoroughly; however I wanted to grab a device that met all of my requirements, and unfortunately the only Blackberry that interested me was the 9000 Bold. The Bold is too wide of a phone for me. I require the phone to be GSM so it has to be either on Rogers or Fido (Same Company�sadly) as I prefer to buy my phones unlocked so I�m not tied to an insane contract, but I digress. On to the Review:

Well let�s start with the appearance. This phone is not large like the 9000 is; however it seems to fit well in my hands (average size), so if you have large hands and feel comfortable with the feel of the Bold, you may struggle with the Onyx. I�ve held the 9630 (Tour) and they feel very similar. The phone is very light also. I don�t have a scale to weigh it, but it�s slightly heavier than the 8310 and feels significantly better designed and assembled.

The keyboard has sloped keys so you can really feel the keys while typing which I really enjoyed. While the keyboard is really nice, it�s the touch pad that really sold me on this phone. It�s even better than the Nokia E71�s as you can adjust the sensitivity of it to suit your needs. How cool is that?
    The OS when I received the phone is 5.0.0.169 and I�m still searching for a replacement, but that�s neither here nor there. Let�s get to the good stuff:

This OS is crazy. I had 9 different programs running in the task manager and the phone didn�t even hiccup. I have a few apps installed and it still has 126.5MB�s of free memory. The SMS is not threaded but its better than�s Nokia�s native SMS client. This is my first use of the notorious Blackberry Messaging Service; which unfortunately with the .169 OS is only running 4.7. I have to say that I love it and think it's going to be much better as 5.0. The internet browser also seems to load pages really fast on both WiFi and HSPDA through Fido. I was able to download at over 11MB�s/sec on my WiFi according to Speedtest.

The trouble with this .169 OS is that BB App World doesn�t recognize the phone and neither does Facebook and other mobile sites. Facebook actually recognizes the phone as a Storm haha. I�m certain that once the 5.0 OS is released all of this will go away. So far I�ve been able to install Opera Mini, Viigo, Google Mobile App, Crackberry App and Speedtest. Twitter apps have been nonexistent on this OS for me so far except for Viigo.

Bluetooth is amazing. It offers many different options including encrypted pairing. I had no trouble pairing it with my Pioneer Navigation system in my truck. I had a 30 minute conversation with my friend on the way home from Toronto yesterday and it worked flawlessly.
    WiFi also works amazing and offers lots of security settings for anyone that really locks down their network like I do.

The battery life is above average in comparison to the N97 and is virtually the same as the E71�s; which is great. I don�t see any issues with using the phone aggressively all day with plenty of battery to spare.

Coming from a touch screen QWERTY hybrid (N97), I was worried about making the transition back to the non touch screen world, but I have to say that I�m pleasantly satisfied with my pick up of the Onyx! Now bring on the .208 OS!
    09-03-09 01:37 AM
    Thanks for the review... I like the sound of this:

The phone is very light also. I don’t have a scale to weigh it, but it’s slightly heavier than the 8310 and feels significantly better designed and assembled.
    :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-09 01:45 AM

While the keyboard is really nice, it�s the touch pad that really sold me on this phone. It�s even better than the Nokia E71�s as you can adjust the sensitivity of it to suit your needs. How cool is that?
    I keep hearing you compare the optical trackpad to the e71? The e71 has standard D-pad navigation as opposed to the optical trackpad on the 9700. Please explain?
    09-03-09 02:22 AM
    Yep, as above E71 does not have an optical trackpad....as far as i know. Strangely seen some one mention on a different thread as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong!
    09-03-09 03:32 AM
    Since the 9700 is pre release, I hope they don't block is PIN in a few months.

09-03-09 04:46 AM
    I keep hearing you compare the optical trackpad to the e71? The e71 has standard D-pad navigation as opposed to the optical trackpad on the 9700. Please explain?
    True, but I'm comparing the experience of using a trackpad between the two devices.
    09-03-09 06:47 AM
    So any guesses as to release date?, how is the camera and internet on the phone?
    09-03-09 12:02 PM
    Gah! Can't wait!
    09-03-09 12:12 PM
    Sounds great and it seems the only issues ...so far... are with apps that need to recognize a released OS.

Not bad for the 1st 24...let's see what you think in 30 days.

Also, I want one.
    09-03-09 12:18 PM
    More peektures perhaps?
    09-03-09 12:25 PM
    Nice. Where did you get it?
    09-03-09 01:14 PM
    this review was definitely not made by a newbie
    09-03-09 04:44 PM
    sweet..sounds like everything i been expecting so far..cant wait to get my hands on one
    09-03-09 04:58 PM
    this review was definitely not made by a newbie
    As he said, he's a newbie to BB's not cellular phones.
    09-03-09 04:59 PM
    I think I like the idea of a trackpad more than actually liking the trackpad...my sister has a 8520 and I play with it all the time I dnt feel is as amazing as ppl make it seem(my opinion)

Anyways I'm really looking forward to the Onyx, but I want to test it out and get a feel for it before I get it and let my Bold go lol
    09-03-09 05:11 PM
    As he said, he's a newbie to BB's not cellular phones.
    I'm just trying to say I liked it
    09-03-09 05:38 PM
    Thanks and he's correct, I'm only a BB Noob as an owner at least
    09-03-09 07:45 PM
    [QUOTE=Jancy10;3509439]I think I like the idea of a trackpad more than actually liking the trackpad...my sister has a 8520 and I play with it all the time I dnt feel is as amazing as ppl make it seem(my opinion)

Amen to that !!!
    09-04-09 08:50 AM
    Oh, sorry, I thought you were being cynical. :-) It was indeed a very good review !
    09-04-09 11:53 AM
    Nice review! Have you had any reboots yet? It usually happens during BT connections. I've had about 20 till now. Just updated to .208 which is supposed to be more stable.

09-04-09 12:57 PM
    Good review. The 9700 looks a little bit "cheaper'' than the 9000, which 1 year later; is still a stunner.
    Ill be very happy with more flash though...

OH, and I'm not a newbie! I resent that. My old account was just locked out
    Last edited by JamWar; 09-04-09 at 01:39 PM.
    09-04-09 01:36 PM
    after having had the bold since it first came out i'm ready to trade in the track ball for a track pad experience. believe it or not, i often have to dirty my thumb with cigarette ashes to get the tack ball going again. been using this method for the last 3 months, but before that i was cleaning it like crazy. can't wait to try my thumb on the onyx.
    09-04-09 06:47 PM

I have owned have been the Nokia E71 --Amazing Phone, and the Nokia N97 --Beautiful device!
    Will you consider to dump your 9700 for nokia e72?
    09-05-09 08:10 AM
    Will you consider to dump your 9700 for nokia e72?
    Why are you offering? haha

No way. I love the BBM feature of my BB. I also think the email capabilities on a BB are superior...

The e72 is going to be a sick phone though!
    09-13-09 10:28 AM
    I want the 9700 early too. =(
    Last edited by ILLIONAIRE; 09-13-09 at 12:37 PM.
    09-13-09 12:18 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD