I really would like the new 3g symbol and flick scrolling, but i dont have my usb cable anymore, so only way i can update my phone is through updating it through the phone. any update on verizon coming out with new OS?
    09-02-09 06:58 PM
    I really would like the new 3g symbol and flick scrolling, but i dont have my usb cable anymore, so only way i can update my phone is through updating it through the phone. any update on verizon coming out with new OS?
    Dude, a USB cable is about $10.00. Get a new one and join in the world of wonderful leaks and hybrids that are out there for you storm.
    09-02-09 07:00 PM
    Atleast three months

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-09 07:03 PM
    www cablesforless com

Add a dot in the spaces. Great place to find cheap computer, audio and video cables. The mini-usb cable is offered in 6 ft. length. It's very nice since the 2 foot one they give you can make it awkward to connect to a desktop.
    09-02-09 07:09 PM
    I wouldn't hold your breathe, people may complain about verizon alot but the 2 things I appreciate most are 1. the superior network and 2. the fact they are EXTREMELY picky about what they allow to be official. People may have their gripes with verizon for pushing the storm 1 out too quick but that is one negative to the many positives of the company, their customer service is excellent as well. They may not have a clue about tech stuff but they are very good with helping you in anyway they can.
    09-02-09 07:33 PM
    I spoke with a tech the other because i needed them to send me another storm, and i asked him when he thought they would release a new OS, and he said the rumor around there is right before the Storm 2 is released...We shall see..
    09-02-09 08:28 PM
    I spoke with a tech the other because i needed them to send me another storm, and i asked him when he thought they would release a new OS, and he said the rumor around there is right before the Storm 2 is released...We shall see..
    Seeing as how the Storm 2 will have the OS we are talking about I'm thinking verizon would have to release it just before it comes out.
    09-02-09 08:31 PM
    I heard......drumroll please........2 weeks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-09 08:31 PM
    I wouldn't expect anything from Verizon, given:1) how long it took get the lst update, and 2) We're not too far from the Storm 2 launch.
    09-02-09 08:35 PM
    I'm not gonna hold my breath, it seems all you guys heard these things from Verizon reps, they don't know their as*es from a hole in the ground when it comes to firmware updates
    09-02-09 08:39 PM
    So back to the guy with the $200 phone and a data plan but can't buy a new cable
    09-02-09 08:45 PM
    So back to the guy with the $200 phone and a data plan but can't buy a new cable
    lmao, correction $600 phone
    09-02-09 08:48 PM
    Verizons new OS update will be the Storm2 unfortunately....imo
    09-02-09 09:05 PM
    Verizons new OS update will be the Storm2 unfortunately....imo
    I would say not true seeing how they just recently released a new update for the 8830WE which my technology standards is a dinosaur.
    09-02-09 09:27 PM
    We shall see..Verizon drags their feet by the time they release anything of relevance for S1 im sure most will have moved on....lets hope im wrong....i mean by the time that 8830 update released did anyone REALLY care?
    09-02-09 09:29 PM
    we will just wait and see.....
    09-02-09 09:32 PM
    09-02-09 09:32 PM
    not today...
    and definitely not tomorrow
    09-02-09 09:38 PM
    Well, let's see... Storm I will support the 5.x OS (duh). The latest from various 'rumor' sites has Storm II coming out for B2B on 9/29, to the public on 10/14. Allow time for the initial shakeup of Storm II, my guess is around Thanksgiving. Last year, I saw Storm I about 2 months before launch. So far, nothing. Granted, all of the leaks and such may have the QA folks playing it close to the vest.

It is my hope that 9/29 is a solid date. My NE2 comes up very soon, and my corporate discount just MIGHT let me get it on the 29th.... We will see.

If I do get it early, I will post copious pics and impressions, not to worry. It is also my guess that everyone and their brother that qualify for the B2B availability will do the same. I may not be the first to do it, but I will be the most exhaustive, I assure you, short of taking it apart (which has already been done). I have a 4GB card just itching to get used, and I will get the screen capture app just for this purpose.

Cheers for now...
    09-02-09 09:45 PM
    I have to agree. I dont think that R.I.M. is going release an update for Verizon. Look how long it took them to release a version that Verizon approved (.148) and the o.s. is still very buggy. Lets all face it and come to reality, its all about technology and marketing. R.I.M. wanted to come out with a touch screen quickly. R.I.M. was the technologist, Verizon was the marketing and those of us who purchased the storm 1 are the guinea pigs to some degree. Don't get me wrong, I like bb products, but you have to understand thats how technology and marketing work. Look at the Automobile industry, lets build it, if it sells then we'll fix all the problems in the next years models. We may not like it, but thats how it works.

My only real frustration having developed and produced software is that R.I.M doesnt utilize all of the the java capabilities. R.I.M has got to take the good features that were developed in the earlier years of their product and make the dive off the deep end and create a new O.S. app that can take advantage of all of the new g.u.i and interface features that are now available in new software apps. They cannnot continue to put bandaids on software and expect them not to be buggy and lock up.

You've heard the expression, there comes a time when you have to know when its time to scrap the old and start with something new. They've done that with the hardware, now they need to provide a new software to go with the new hardware.

Well that's my point of view on the subject. I hope some of you will concur.
    09-02-09 10:45 PM
    ^ you just made me a firm-believer. lol I concur.
    09-03-09 12:07 AM
    I have to agree. I dont think that R.I.M. is going release an update for Verizon. Look how long it took them to release a version that Verizon approved (.148) and the o.s. is still very buggy. Lets all face it and come to reality, its all about technology and marketing. R.I.M. wanted to come out with a touch screen quickly. R.I.M. was the technologist, Verizon was the marketing and those of us who purchased the storm 1 are the guinea pigs to some degree. Don't get me wrong, I like bb products, but you have to understand thats how technology and marketing work. Look at the Automobile industry, lets build it, if it sells then we'll fix all the problems in the next years models. We may not like it, but thats how it works.

My only real frustration having developed and produced software is that R.I.M doesnt utilize all of the the java capabilities. R.I.M has got to take the good features that were developed in the earlier years of their product and make the dive off the deep end and create a new O.S. app that can take advantage of all of the new g.u.i and interface features that are now available in new software apps. They cannnot continue to put bandaids on software and expect them not to be buggy and lock up.

You've heard the expression, there comes a time when you have to know when its time to scrap the old and start with something new. They've done that with the hardware, now they need to provide a new software to go with the new hardware.

Well that's my point of view on the subject. I hope some of you will concur.
    FAIL. One: RIM doesn't decide what updates Verizon may or may not do. RIM compiles builds and posts them to the portal site for carriers to pick from. Verizon is the ones that grab them as they see fit.

Two: RIM will not stop development on OS for the storm 1 just because storm 2 is around, they continually develop OS for phones that are "ancient" by today's standards.

I agree with you on the Java stuff though
    09-03-09 08:42 AM
    Rim will surely continue to update S1 OS, but how much effort will Verizon put into keeping it updated once S2 comes out is the real question. Surely Verizon has more to gain if S1 purchasers move to the S2. We can see that they are trying to clear S1 from the inventory with the promotions.
    09-03-09 08:59 AM
    Yo we all would like the official 5.0 os on our storms but lets look at this at a logical point of view. If and when the new 5.0 os comes out it might solve all of our problem with the storm1. On the other hand we all see the storm2 in action with an older os on it and it was working PERFECT. So it looks like we can have the best os on the storm1 but it will never be perfect!! because the hardware is not set up right like the: CPU,memory and the screen they all were inferior. The storm1 looks like it was a beta phone and we were the tricked testing drones for RIM. And now with all the help we gave them they made the real storm that the first storm was going to be.. The only thing i have to say is if I was a tester should i get some kind of pay?..... NOT

(So the new OS's are better!! But the storm1 cant Run the OS and all of the apps at once it dose not have enough app memory or CPU power to run Smoothly all the time
    09-03-09 09:37 AM
    FAIL. One: RIM doesn't decide what updates Verizon may or may not do. RIM compiles builds and posts them to the portal site for carriers to pick from. Verizon is the ones that grab them as they see fit.

Two: RIM will not stop development on OS for the storm 1 just because storm 2 is around, they continually develop OS for phones that are "ancient" by today's standards.

I agree with you on the Java stuff though

You're so close it's almost scary...

Yes, RIM provides future builds for VZW's OS's. Since Vodafone and VZW are the only carriers with a 9500/9530, they could theoretically stop producing OS updates for it soon.

The bigger question here is, will the 9500/9530 support the 9520/9550 OS versions. From everything I have heard, they will, so when the official release comes for the 9550 for VZW, they will also release that for the 9530. It makes more sense to them to only have one OS active at a time for each device series. They only have to train their techs to do a battery pull on one OS instead of 2... (Ok, now that's funny, I don't care who ya are!)

Just be careful going forward in this way since the 9530 was underpowered memory wise on 4.7... It's going to be like a Pearl running an early 4.5 release... Very sluggish... Just my 2 cents!
    09-03-09 09:51 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD