I have purchased and installed Offender Locator on my Blackberry Storm. The app fails to EVER lock on with GPS. I set all of the application permissions to "ALLOW", and GPS is enabled and working perfectly with all other apps on the phone. Anyone actually have this working?

Their support seems non existent. They have a "live Chat" link at their home page - but it never seems to connect to anyone. I am suspecting at this point that I have been ripped off. The company is "ThinAir Wireless" also known as "Go Vision 20/20". They were offering a IPhone version, but Apple has pulled the paid version from their store, and are only offering the ad-supported "free" version. I don't know the whole story behind that move.

jim
    09-02-09 05:05 PM
    They're not allowed to sell the info, if what I read was correct. That's why they had to pull the paid app.
    09-02-09 05:21 PM
    I have been contacted by someone at the company asking about my provider and software version. Lets see what they come up with.
    09-02-09 05:59 PM
    This is what they said -

"I have conferred with my BB developer and he agrees, you should make sure Verizon has your GPS setup properly. There is no compatibility issue on our end, as several customers with OS 4.7 have no issues. Please confer with your provider, and let me know if I can be of any additional help."

This is how I responded -

"As I said, I have several apps working perfectly with the GPS feature of the phone - including Poynt (which uses the GPS to find the nearest movie theatres and restaurants) and VZ Navigator, which uses the GPS to navigate. Trust me, the GPS is working great on this phone. I have also tried un-installing, and re-installing your app. Still won't lock on GPS."
    09-02-09 06:45 PM
    yea i have it and for some reason it said i was an offender
    09-02-09 07:33 PM
    It's too bad it only shows their address. I think it would be cool to be able to locate them by their ankle bracelets...

Make all Registered Sex Offenders join Google Latitude with no privacy settings.
    09-02-09 07:45 PM
    Somehow, having a sex offender locating app on your BB seems almost as creepy to me as being a sex offender in the first place.

In California, misuse of information on the sex offender website is a crime. Penal Code �290.46(h)(1)
    09-02-09 08:08 PM
    Somehow, having a sex offender locating app on your BB seems almost as creepy to me as being a sex offender in the first place.

In California, misuse of information on the sex offender website is a crime. Penal Code �290.46(h)(1)
    You must not have kids.
    09-02-09 08:11 PM
    You must not have kids.
    Actually he has three children... locked in his basement...

I keed, I keed...
    09-02-09 08:27 PM

I hope you are not serious. You equate having an app like this on your phone with being someone who actually raped or sexually abused someone? Wow...
    09-02-09 09:12 PM
    You make sure you set your GPS to location on instead of E911 only and enable location aiding under advanced options> GPS

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-09 10:51 PM
    You make sure you set your GPS to location on instead of E911 only and enable location aiding under advanced options> GPS

He stated the other apps work.. My guess is the permission is not set correctly.. Options/advance options/ Applications and highlight the app and hit menu and edit permissions.. make sure its set to allow..
    09-03-09 08:01 AM
    you can go to National Sex Offender Registry from ur bb browser. they show pics of the offenders and its free.
    09-03-09 08:02 AM
    This is such a bad app. Before you all start saying "you must not have any children" or think i am taking there side. You bring me a child molester and i will be more that happy to beat the sh*t out of them.

The people who need this on there phone are ..well... crazy. Sorry. But you can go home pull up the gov site if your scared. But do you really need this at your fingertip all the time?

A guy in maine was killed becase he was a registered sex offender. He was 19 and had been convicted of having consensual sex with his 15-year-old girlfriend.

Read more: Suffer the Children / Violet Blue: The iPhone Sex Offender locator: considered harmful

What if your house get a red dot on it because you live at 124 and the guy registered is at 142.

I know there are bad people out there so talk to your kids. Being a wack job isnt going to help them at all.

Untill the laws change on who needs to register this is scary, because we all know people can be idiots.
    Last edited by PensHockey; 09-03-09 at 09:27 AM.
    09-03-09 09:23 AM
    He stated the other apps work.. My guess is the permission is not set correctly.. Options/advance options/ Applications and highlight the app and hit menu and edit permissions.. make sure its set to allow..
    As stated in first post - all permissions for this app are set to ALLOW.
    It's just a bad app. They keep trying to blame Verizon, even though I have stated repeatedly that the GPS is working great with all other apps.
    Oh well - live and learn. No big deal - I really just loaded it as a curiosity anyway.

Thanks everyone for your help...
    09-03-09 12:18 PM
    Where can I get this app

09-03-09 12:26 PM
    I'm the guy who "Keeps Trying To Blame Verizon"! Just food for thought, if it works on Sprint, and it Works on AT&T, but not Verizon, what conclusion would you draw???
    09-03-09 12:32 PM
    hmmmm...

Well, Since Poynt works with GPS on my phone, and VZ Navigator does, and yours does not - what conclusion would YOU draw?
    09-03-09 12:43 PM
    Totally creepy. I detest canned spinach yet you'll never ever find me calling markets to see if they carry it or scour newspapers looking for ads about it or download apps that show me the closest location of canned spinach.

I can't imagine anyone wanting such an app. I can only assume what their real motivation is for downloading such a thing and would say that www.eharmony.com is probably a better resource for getting dates than this sex offender locator.

If you are one of the people who have downloaded this, I wonder if you realize how creepy you appear to others.

Wow.

09-03-09 12:46 PM
    It's like a map to the stars, for dysfunctional people.
    09-03-09 12:47 PM
    Where can I get this app

Seriously, use www.eharmony.com instead. I know those Saturday nights are getting lonely but there are better ways of getting a date.

09-03-09 12:49 PM
    For some involved in law enforcement this would be a great thing to have at their fingertips. Dealing with things like this on a regular basis it would be nice to have a photo array of known offenders available right away. It might actually solve a crime!

Where can I get this app?
    09-03-09 12:56 PM
    For some involved in law enforcement this would be a great thing to have at their fingertips. Dealing with things like this on a regular basis it would be nice to have a photo array of known offenders available right away. It might actually solve a crime!

Where can I get this app?
    I'm pretty sure their database is even more robust than this one.
    09-03-09 12:58 PM
    You must not have kids.
    Ridiculous statement. Your kids will grow up safer and better adjusted if you share time with them rather than sit around on your computer all day looking up pervs. How many Catholic priests do you think you'll finf on those sex offender apps? Do you think the church gives away zillions of dollars in hush money just to be generous or do you realize that the church realizes that they have a huge problem with their priests keeping their hands off your 12 year old son?

Your kids won't be any safer because you found a guy who had sex with his 16 year old girlfriend when he was 18 way back 20 years ago. Your kids will be safer when you spend more time with them, tell them you love them more often, have compassionate talks about right and wrong with them and keep an eye out on what your kids do and who their friends are. I'll never forget the words of my mother ... "Show me your friends and I'll tell you who you are."

Needing to explain that setting the right example and choosing to love your children is a better way of protecting them rather than looking up perv arrests is completely bizarre to me.

Do you track arsonists to make sure no one in your neighborhood might burn your house down too?

Sex offender apps with GPS locators? Man how weird. Seriously, go to www.eharmony.com if you all need a date next Saturday night. It'll be much easier.

09-03-09 01:05 PM
    I detest canned spinach yet you'll never ever find me calling markets to see if they carry it or scour newspapers looking for ads about it or download apps that show me the closest location of canned spinach.
    Excellent analogy! Canned spinach and sex offendors... totally the same! lol

Ben -
    I understand that application development can be complicated. Maybe even idiosyncracies on the same hardware across different carriers. bottom line - if you don't know how to access the GPS system on Verizon phones, you should either do what other authors have done and learn how, or put a disclamer on your app before purchase that it may not function properly on Verizon phones.

However, it doesn't look like there are many fans of your application here. lol

Good luck
    09-03-09 01:10 PM
96 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD