My 3 RED faceplates came in today from cnn.cn. I've got to go get the Torx 6 tool and then I'll take pictures of everything and post it as I noticed that the only site showing how to do this is Youtube. So I'll do a photo/essay website on how to do this.

I bought 3 faceplates. One to put on now, one to paint to match my ruby red metalic XPS I painted and one for a backup incase the other two gets damaged or scratched.

Even though I'm just changing the faceplate only, does that void my warranty?
    Last edited by jack55; 04-19-08 at 04:40 PM.
    04-19-08 04:37 PM
    The curve actually takes a T5 tool.
    04-19-08 04:44 PM
    The curve actually takes a T5 tool.
    Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't sure as they said T6 for doing the 8800, so I was going to get both, T5 & T6... still will to play safe. Where is the best place to buy these? Tool store? Wal Mart type of store? OR?
    Also, I haven't been able to find a pry tool anywhere and I've been looking. So I'm going to use the credit card tip.
    04-19-08 04:49 PM

Even though I'm just changing the faceplate only, does that void my warranty?
    Opening the case will DEFINITELY jack your warranty. Take a deep breath and kiss it goodbye.
    04-19-08 05:02 PM
    Opening the case will DEFINITELY jack your warranty. Take a deep breath and kiss it goodbye.
    How can they tell if I'm very careful and put the original faceplate back on?
    04-19-08 05:09 PM
    Here's an excerpt of RIM's warranty:

"This Limited Warranty does not apply to normal wear and tear or if the Accessory or any component thereof is opened or repaired by someone not authorized by RIM, and does not cover repair or replacement of any Accessory damaged by: misuse, moisture or liquids, proximity or exposure to head, accident, abuse, neglect\misapplication, or defects due to repairs or modifications made by anyone other than RIM."
    04-19-08 05:11 PM
    How can they tell if I'm very careful and put the original faceplate back on?
    Simple, they just figure you aren't RIM and that basically voids the warranty. I was a Case Design Engineer and any manufacturer would know or those that are licensed to do so, if a device was tampered.
    04-19-08 05:13 PM
    Simple, they just figure you aren't RIM and that basically voids the warranty. I was a Case Design Engineer and any manufacturer would know or those that are licensed to do so, if a device was tampered.
    I build computer systems and work on notebooks all the time and I bet I can get that BB back to original and they can't even tell.
    I do most of my work with magnfying glasses. I recently painted my XPS notebook
    I painted my XPS M1530 lid... - Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion
    Last edited by jack55; 04-19-08 at 05:24 PM.
    04-19-08 05:21 PM
    For the electronic equipment we make we put tamper evedent paint in the torxs head so when a driver was put in there the paint would be deformed. Not 100% fool proof but a very clear way so see if a driver of some sort were engaged to the torxs head.
    04-19-08 05:23 PM
    I build computer systems and work on notebooks all the time and I bet I can get that BB back to original and they can't even tell.
    I do most of my work with magnfying glasses. I recently painted my XPS notebook
    I painted my XPS M1530 lid... - Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion
    Hey, it is your call. It is your BlackBerry device anyway. You asked so we answered your question with facts. If you can manipulate it, good for you!

Good luck.
    04-19-08 05:25 PM
    For the electronic equipment we make we put tamper evedent paint in the torxs head so when a driver was put in there the paint would be deformed. Not 100% fool proof but a very clear way so see if a driver of some sort were engaged to the torxs head.
    I've already planned to match the paint on the screws after putting them back in. Like I said, I work with magnfying glasses.
    04-19-08 05:28 PM
    Does that also mean if you try to clean out your screen with dust, you've voided the warranty?

If so...harsh... =/
    04-19-08 06:01 PM
    If your so good at workin on electronics how come u don't already have a T5 and T6 screwdriver? "And where do u purchase them from?" Come on now.....LOL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-08 06:04 PM
    I bought mine at Lowe's for like 12 bucks. It was all the whole set into one screwdriver.
    04-19-08 06:15 PM
    If your so good at workin on electronics how come u don't already have a T5 and T6 screwdriver? "And where do u purchase them from?" Come on now.....LOL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Well, to be fair, I also build computer systems and work on laptops (in spare time, chemist by trade) and only needed a Torx driver twice. And, in both cases, it was for taking out the factory head unit in cars.
    04-19-08 06:28 PM
    Well, to be fair, I also build computer systems and work on laptops (in spare time, chemist by trade) and only needed a Torx driver twice. And, in both cases, it was for taking out the factory head unit in cars.
    Why Stontium... you sorta helped me out here and we were arguing just a couple days ago! That hatchet is now buried. Oops... I used the bold again!

Yep, like Strontium said, I've never needed a torx driver T5 or T6 working on deskstop or laptops... until today. I have T8 and up in the garage.

I bought mine at Lowe's for like 12 bucks. It was all the whole set into one screwdriver.
    I went to 5 stores, (tool shops, Best buy etc) and smallest they had was a T8! I was about to resign to the fact I'd have to order online, but I found a set on my last stop... Home Depot! So I imagine Lowe's would have them and they were to my next stop.

Tonight, I'll go to work on changing out the faceplate and taking photo's.
    Last edited by jack55; 04-19-08 at 09:29 PM.
    04-19-08 09:25 PM
    I'm having Deja Vu
    04-19-08 11:36 PM
    Uhhh am I the only one more impressed by the paint job on the XPS then the BB case issue, I have a XPS 1070, i'd love to get mine painted up like that.
    04-19-08 11:45 PM
    I work on computers too, and I only had T6+.

I bought a set from Microcenter that had T5, T6, some other various drivers, and a pair of case opening tools. It was $15.

The smallest I know of at Sears is T6.
    04-20-08 12:55 AM
    Well, I got it done. It was harder than I thought to do. Kind of tedious. I'll have a website up tomorrow on the steps I took to do it. It may help someone else save time. The hardest part was keeping the screen clean on the lcd & faceplate. Here are a couple photo's until I get the website up.

Last edited by jack55; 04-20-08 at 03:39 AM.
    04-20-08 02:53 AM
    Hey Jack, I kinda like the theme u r using. Could you share it with me or tell me where I could get it?
    04-20-08 03:00 AM
    Hey Jack, I kinda like the theme u r using. Could you share it with me or tell me where I could get it?
    That is one I made of my Corvette. I have it on my notebook. I'll send it to you tomorrow if you like.
    04-20-08 03:07 AM
    Why Stontium... you sorta helped me out here and we were arguing just a couple days ago! That hatchet is now buried. Oops... I used the bold again!
    Haha! Good to know. I've never been much for holding a grudge
    04-20-08 03:52 AM
    Looks sweet! It'd look even better with a black keyboard.
    04-20-08 05:17 AM
    That is one I made of my Corvette. I have it on my notebook. I'll send it to you tomorrow if you like.
    I like it also. Of course, I'd switch out the corvette for my own image.
    04-20-08 09:40 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD