I am still undecided at first I was excited to upgrade from my 8900 to the driftwood but the more I read up on it,see pics, and watch youtube videos I am disappointed and getting less excited about the device. Besides 3g I can't find any reason to dish out more cash if I already have the 8900. I love my blackberry but as a T-mobile user I hate to say it I'm more excited about the nokia N900. What do you guys think?
    09-02-09 10:21 AM
    Are you giving away money???? Most everybody that upgraded did so since the release of the 8900 in January, or at least since then... which means we would all have to pay full price for the new device... I can't afford to do that.
    09-02-09 10:27 AM
    Are you giving away money???? Most everybody that upgraded did so since the release of the 8900 in January, or at least since then... which means we would all have to pay full price for the new device... I can't afford to do that.
    C'mon fatboy, quit bein such a cheap $ss!
    09-02-09 11:10 AM
    I bought 2 8900 one for me and one for my girlfriend. But my contract is up on FEB. So if anything ill wait and get a new contract and get it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-09 12:01 PM
    C'mon fatboy, quit bein such a cheap $ss!
    Now I know who has the money around here!!! 3C is going to the 9700 forum??? You buying me one???
    09-02-09 12:08 PM
    I am still undecided at first I was excited to upgrade from my 8900 to the driftwood but the more I read up on it,see pics, and watch youtube videos I am disappointed and getting less excited about the device. Besides 3g I can't find any reason to dish out more cash if I already have the 8900. I love my blackberry but as a T-mobile user I hate to say it I'm more excited about the nokia N900. What do you guys think?
    It is rumored that the Driftwood doesn't have UMA. That is a total deal breaker for me. I do not believe getting 3G and losing UMA is an acceptable tradeoff.

The Driftwood also has a trackpad as opposed to the 8900's trackball. Another deal breaker for me. I've played with the trackpad and I wasn't a big fan.

The 8900 has been a terrific device for me. I could stay with it for awhile and jump over the Driftwood to the next release which hopefully won't be compromising UMA for 3G and will have a trackball rather than that ickky trackpad.

Looks like you can mark me down in the "stickin' with the 8900" column.
    09-02-09 12:23 PM
    Im 6months into my 2 year contract with the 8900. Anyone know the cost of buying my contract out ?
    09-02-09 12:27 PM
    It is rumored that the Driftwood doesn't have UMA. That is a total deal breaker for me. I do not believe getting 3G and losing UMA is an acceptable tradeoff.
    Where did you see that it will not have UMA? Everywhere I've seen says the Tmo version will.
    09-02-09 12:54 PM
    Agreed. I really want the trackpad, but I love my 8900 and UMA. EDGE is good enough for me for now.
    09-02-09 12:56 PM
    I really have to have one in my hands & play around with the trackpad before i decide anything.

09-02-09 02:43 PM
    I also heard it had UMA but I can't shell that much $$ this fast. I just got my 8900 which I really like. 3G doesn't move me enough. If I do anything, it will be next year but I'm really liking my 8900
    09-02-09 03:09 PM
    Im 6months into my 2 year contract with the 8900. Anyone know the cost of buying my contract out ?
    $200 I believe.... or you could just pay full retail for the 9700.
    09-02-09 03:16 PM
    See when I upgrade to the 8900 I paid the extra $50 bucks for a one year contract so by Feb. I could upgrade to the driftwood and not shell out full price. But I need more if I'm going to lock myself into another contract. Looks like I'[m sticking with the 8900 for now and I'm not sold on the track pad yet either I tested it out and while its not a horrible experience I prefer the trackball.
    09-02-09 07:37 PM
    Not me... I don't see the big deal about the driftwood. Not much better than my 8900. *shrug*
    09-02-09 09:28 PM
    I wanted the Driftwood but it wasn't available a few months ago. I traded in a Memoir which I loved just for WiFi and got bamboozled thinking I would pay less but I have to add the BB or hotpsot in addition to my hotspot @ home. Normally I pay retail usually on ebay because I can't stand contracts!!! This is my 2nd 8900 in the past two months and if I have to constanty keep wiping it out my phone and reinstalling from scratch because it keeps loosing myfavs then I will demand the Driftwood instead of a 3rd 8900, uhg.
    09-02-09 09:42 PM
    Where did you see that it will not have UMA? Everywhere I've seen says the Tmo version will.
    I've seen it in several places. Mostly here. None of the sources I've read are authorities so it's possible you are right ... I dunno what the real deal will be. I do know that a Driftwood without UMA will never be a device I use.

On the price thing, I was in a T-Mobile store in Los Angeles yesterday and saw that T-Mobile now has pricing specials where they will sell you the 8900 for $37 out the door with four successive $37 payments over four months thereafter.

The fun thing about owning an 8900 is I'll absolutely be in NO rush to replace it so I can wait a LONG time for pricing specials on the Driftwood although I must admit even if the Driftwood does have UMA, that trackpad thing is really not for me. Even the T-Mobile sales guy admitted that the trackpad isn't anywhere as good as the traditional trackball.
    09-02-09 09:53 PM
    I paid $50 more for my 8900 and renewed it for 1 year only back in February.
    09-02-09 10:29 PM
    I'll be upgrading, though I'm going to wait till its been out about 3 months or so cause I hate being one of the first people to buy a new device as they are usually buggy. For me even if the device didn't have UMA it wouldn't be a deal breaker as I get perfect tmo reception at home and just about everywhere I go....UMA on the other hand always craps out on me. Also it'll have 3G...though judging by most of the comments I've read in the forums regarding 3G it looks like the majority of people here rarely use their blackberries to make phone calls...I'm sick of having to tell people I'll call them right back just because I have to use data for a few seconds. As far as battery life goes....if someone is too cheap to buy an extended life battery or even 2 batteries then oh well.

09-02-09 10:50 PM
    I got my 8900 since march and it has been doing everything the bold does. A lot of apps and themes are coming out. I think I can actually keep this phone for a long time. Just as people kept their 83xx's till this day.
    The driftwood will be my next phone tho. Looks like it'll be a great phone since its a upgraded 8900.

09-03-09 03:56 AM
    I love my 8900. I got lucky since this is my first BB and it does all that I need. I don't need 3G, but have become hooked on uma. TMO is spotty in my region, so the uma allows me to compensate. When my plan comes up for renewal, I will renew just to get a new BB, whichever one is the best deal/bargain at the time, just to have a quality spare. My price plan is great so renewal will happen
    09-03-09 07:55 AM
    I'll be upgrading, though I'm going to wait till its been out about 3 months or so cause I hate being one of the first people to buy a new device as they are usually buggy. For me even if the device didn't have UMA it wouldn't be a deal breaker as I get perfect tmo reception at home and just about everywhere I go....UMA on the other hand always craps out on me. Also it'll have 3G...though judging by most of the comments I've read in the forums regarding 3G it looks like the majority of people here rarely use their blackberries to make phone calls...I'm sick of having to tell people I'll call them right back just because I have to use data for a few seconds. As far as battery life goes....if someone is too cheap to buy an extended life battery or even 2 batteries then oh well.

The battery life issue is not about being to cheap.... It is a pain, I have a extended battery and don't use it that often because I like the size of the 8900. It does in some ways make the phone more comfortable, but not in my pocket.....
    09-03-09 08:19 AM
    Just a shot in the dark here but I would be willing to bet the 9700 will have UMA...
    09-03-09 08:21 AM
    I hate to say it I'm more excited about the nokia N900. What do you guys think?
    Where did you hear that the N900 is coming to T-Mobile? Is this in the USA?
    09-03-09 10:03 AM

For UMA problems, check the UMA Guide link in my signature. If you are having problems, it is due to either a bad router configuration or a bad device.

Also, for 3G, since you are with T-mobile are you sure that your area has 3G service available? The T-mobile US 3G footprint is tiny so unless you are sure you with be within a 3G service area I wouldn't upgrade if I were you.
    09-03-09 10:34 AM
    We had 3G in most of the places around here!!!

Tampa
    09-03-09 12:19 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD