First time Crackberry poster here....

I just ordered the Tour from Verizon yesterday ($99 with my new every two) to upgrade my Curve, but I know I can simply send it back and cancel the upgrade within 30 days then wait a few more months for the Essex.

I could really use the Rev. A speeds and a functional GPS with Googe Maps now, but I know a few months down the road when Wi-Fi and the trackpad are out I'll be wishing for them and not able to upgrade til Summer 2011.

Was curious what other VZW (or Sprint) users are doing/planning on... I've never really been anywhere that Verizon didn't work, so I'm not sure I need the Wi-Fi..... and has anyone heard whether the trackpad is way more functional and precise than the trackball yet? Or will it be another RIM component that takes 3 or 4 iterations to get right?

Thanks,
    Patrick
    09-02-09 09:31 AM
    do what i did and go into a tmobile store and try out the trackpad for yourself. i've heard different opinions on it so i figured i decide for myself. i found it to be more functional but as everyone else stated, you probably cant use it with gloves on so it will be cold hands in the winter.
    09-02-09 09:35 AM
    I wouldn't want to get a trackpad at launch, seeing how this is a first.

I'm pretty adventurous, too - but I love my Tours and they work perfectly. I think I'll be waiting until at least 3 months after the essex is out until I get one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-09 09:38 AM
    Thank you both for the input. I forgot TMO already has a model with the trackpad... although I imagine using any blackberry with gloves would be impossible given the size of the keys! :-)
    09-02-09 09:57 AM
    do what i did and go into a tmobile store and try out the trackpad for yourself. i've heard different opinions on it so i figured i decide for myself. i found it to be more functional but as everyone else stated, you probably cant use it with gloves on so it will be cold hands in the winter.
    this is very true and i found my storm very annoying when golfing due to gloves
    09-02-09 10:24 AM
    I wouldn't want to get a trackpad at launch, seeing how this is a first.

I'm pretty adventurous, too - but I love my Tours and they work perfectly. I think I'll be waiting until at least 3 months after the essex is out until I get one.

the trackpad wouldn't actually be a first as the 8520 out on tmobile is using a trackpad
    09-02-09 10:33 AM
    the trackpad wouldn't actually be a first as the 8520 out on tmobile is using a trackpad
    yup and it seem to work fine when i tested it. seem like the pad was pretty big and going across it was like rolling the trackball once, lifting hand, placing it on the other side again, and rolling it completely again. (hope that made sense)
    09-02-09 10:38 AM
    I'm liking the idea of the trackpad but how far away is the Essex? Dec.? first part of next year?
    09-02-09 10:41 AM
    Is the track pad similar to track pad on laptops, where if you just scroll and then hold down your finger at the edges or corners, it will continue to scroll in that direction until you let go? If so that would be fantastic and worth returning my Tour, limping along with the Curve for a few months and then upgrading.
    09-02-09 11:00 AM
    The next best thing is always going to be right around the corner, so if you keep waiting, then you will keep having an excuse to put it off. I say get the Tour and then in 2 years get whatever is the best available at that time. They aren't advertising real big, and I am not sure what kind of plan you have with VZW, but if you share a plan the blackberries are currently buy one get one free (just got the wife and myself a Tour for $149).
    09-02-09 11:04 AM
    First time Crackberry poster here....

I just ordered the Tour from Verizon yesterday ($99 with my new every two) to upgrade my Curve, but I know I can simply send it back and cancel the upgrade within 30 days then wait a few more months for the Essex.

I could really use the Rev. A speeds and a functional GPS with Googe Maps now, but I know a few months down the road when Wi-Fi and the trackpad are out I'll be wishing for them and not able to upgrade til Summer 2011.

Was curious what other VZW (or Sprint) users are doing/planning on... I've never really been anywhere that Verizon didn't work, so I'm not sure I need the Wi-Fi..... and has anyone heard whether the trackpad is way more functional and precise than the trackball yet? Or will it be another RIM component that takes 3 or 4 iterations to get right?

Thanks,
    Patrick
    i just had a 8900 before the sprint and now Verizon Tour but havent needed the wifi at all with either sprint or verizon. regarding the trackpad its awesome man! work great will give the blackberrys more life as in less replacments due to stupid dirty ballz (no homo lol) and did i mention it works great?!
    09-02-09 11:11 AM
    I say skip the Essex. Use the Tour until 2011, by which point BB will have solid 4G technology.
    09-02-09 11:19 AM
    The Essex is not going to come out any time soon I would just keep the Tour. Its amazing!
    09-02-09 11:55 AM
    I actually like a trackball more than a trackpad. I have never used wifi on any phone that had more than once or twice when I first got it. Like redwanhuq said, in two years 4G will be in the swing of it and you can be a first adapter.

09-02-09 12:05 PM
    Maybe I'll change my contract to 1 year and pay $219 for the phone now, then be eligible for an upgrade again in 10 months. Thank you all for the input.
    09-02-09 12:47 PM
    Tour. Ive tried the trackpad, and its not for me. Now that my Tour is fully working/functional i really wouldn't trade it for any of the new Verizon phones on the horizon
    09-02-09 12:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD