Prior to .191, my phone tethered beautifully. I would start desktop manager, plug the phone in via usb, and then dial up once it showed my PIN. Now, with .191 the computer recognizes the phone and I can add applications, back up contacts, and everything desktop manager offers but I cannot tether. I follow the same steps I always have but the phone never says "modem mode enabled" like it usually did. I have tried multiple times uninstalling Desktop Manager, shutting down the computer, then reinstalling and it still doesn't tether. I have since downgraded my operating system from 5.0.0.191 back to Lyrics hybrid 6v7 (which I was successfully tethering with prior to .191) but it still DOESN'T TETHER. Any input is very much appreciated as this is my ONLY internet connection for my laptop and I need this working before college starts up again. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by stunna54960; 09-01-09 at 07:47 AM.
    09-01-09 12:03 AM
    I'm having a problem where when i plug in the usb cable and try to restore all my contacts and everything after installing .191, it restarts in about 30 seconds so i cant do anything even downgrade. Can someone help me please!!!
    09-01-09 12:36 AM
    Well i am tethering right now. I had the same problem and finally decided to reinstall the software provided by verizon on the disk that came with the storm. No it is working again. When you put in the disk it will ask you to either repair or uninstall. I choose to repair and 5 min later I am sending you this message.
    09-01-09 02:01 AM
    Well i am tethering right now. I had the same problem and finally decided to reinstall the software provided by verizon on the disk that came with the storm. No it is working again. When you put in the disk it will ask you to either repair or uninstall. I choose to repair and 5 min later I am sending you this message.
    Thanks. Just tried but that didn't work for me. Any other ideas?
    09-01-09 06:21 AM
    Thanks. Just tried but that didn't work for me. Any other ideas?
    Did you try both, Repair and Uninstall/ReInstall? Assuming you did
    09-01-09 06:31 AM
    Prior to .191, my phone tethered beautifully. I would start desktop manager, plug the phone in via usb, and then dial up once it showed my PIN. Now, with .191 the computer recognizes the phone and I can add applications, back up contacts, and everything desktop manager offers but I cannot tether. I follow the same steps I always have but the phone never says "modem mode enabled" like it usually did. I have tried multiple times uninstalling Desktop Manager, shutting down the computer, then reinstalling and it still doesn't tether. I have since downgraded my operating system from 5.0.0.191 back to Lyrics hybrid 6v7 (which I was successfully tethering with prior to .191) but it still DOESN'T TETHER. Any input is very much appreciated as this is my ONLY internet connection for my laptop and I need this working before college starts up again. Thanks in advance.
    I'm using TetherBerry and works really good. You can give it
    a try for few days to see if you like it. Go to their site to download the desktop part. OTA to tetherberry.com/d/tetherberry.jad If you like it buy it.
    09-01-09 06:46 AM
    Did you try both, Repair and Uninstall/ReInstall? Assuming you did
    Yes, neither worked unfortunately.
    09-01-09 06:56 AM
    I'm using TetherBerry and works really good. You can give it
    a try for few days to see if you like it. Go to their site to download the desktop part. OTA to tetherberry.com/d/tetherberry.jad If you like it buy it.
    Not an option, I don't have desktop access to download. Also, I'm not willing to pay for something I can do for free with Desktop Manager and Dial Up Networking. (Just not able to do it at the moment apparently)
    09-01-09 07:00 AM
    Ok so the last thing to do is dial *228 and update option 2. Roaming capabilities.

Do that and reboot afterwards and that should get you going again...

If it doesn't work then you are gonna have to call your carrier....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-09 07:10 AM
    I'M TETHERING RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Haha.
    Here's how I fixed it. After deciding it was neither a device or computer software issue and I knew it wasn't a hardware issue-I decided to check the properties of my dial up connection. For some reason after installing .191 and installing/uninstalling/reinstalling the Desktop Manager my default connection was switched from Standard Modem to Smart PC Modem or something like that. I clicked on Standard Modem and everything is running smoothly again, where as the "Smart PC Modem" just said no dial tone. WOW I'm happy right now.
    09-01-09 07:22 AM
    Not an option, I don't have desktop access to download. Also, I'm not willing to pay for something I can do for free with Desktop Manager and Dial Up Networking. (Just not able to do it at the moment apparently)
    OK... call me a noob or whatever you want, but I thought there was only two ways to do tethering.

1) Pay for it via Verizon (monthly fee)

2) Pay for it via 3rd party (one time fee)

how do you "do for free with Desktop Manager and Dial Up Networking"?
    09-01-09 09:02 AM
    Most carriers offer a plan for $10-$20 monthly fee to tether. As far as I know it comes off your data plans MB allowance unless you opt for unlimited tethering (if that's a carrier option). The carrier will give you the DUN (Dial up networking) paramaters to input (or they will have there own program the internet connection runs off of) and you must be running Desktop Manager or the Blackberry won't connect in my experience. After that, it's like any dial up connection and you'll be connected at different speeds based on your reception (1X is slower around 50kbps for me and 1XEV is up to 2mbps!) Either way, it's a great option to have internet just about wherever you are without using WIFI.
    09-01-09 09:44 AM
    OK... call me a noob or whatever you want, but I thought there was only two ways to do tethering.

1) Pay for it via Verizon (monthly fee)

2) Pay for it via 3rd party (one time fee)

how do you "do for free with Desktop Manager and Dial Up Networking"?
    I think what stunna54960 meant was, why pay for the Tetherberry app when you can use DM with Dial-Up networking to get the same results.
    Seeing that your on VZW, your still going to pay for tethering, data wise, no matter which method you use to tether. Unless someone knows of a work around to keep VZW from detecting when you tether.
    I just played it safe and added the Mobile Broadband Connect to my plan.
    09-01-09 09:54 AM
    I think what stunna54960 meant was, why pay for the Tetherberry app when you can use DM with Dial-Up networking to get the same results.
    Seeing that your on VZW, your still going to pay for tethering, data wise, no matter which method you use to tether. Unless someone knows of a work around to keep VZW from detecting when you tether.
    I just played it safe and added the Mobile Broadband Connect to my plan.
    Exactly. Why pay $50 or any amount of money when you can do the same thing with DM & DUN.
    09-01-09 10:34 AM
    Exactly. Why pay $50 or any amount of money when you can do the same thing with DM & DUN.
    Because unless you buy the one time software or pay the monthly tething fee ($30), the DUN connection wont be nearly as fast as it would be if you tethered.....not to mention (and I say this because I sell cell phones) the system can tell if you are using a DUN connection and you will be charged.

The only thing the desktop manager does is eliminates the need for the carriers software.
    Last edited by jfarling; 09-25-09 at 12:00 PM.
    09-25-09 11:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD